HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Discussion
Help picking first CP

Hey guys. I recently got into rc Helis and planes. My first heli is a walkera v911 and I absolutely love it! But I've "outgrown" it. What r some sugggestions for my first CP. I have looked into blade mcpx walkera mini cp and genius cp, and even blades newest Ncpx. but that's about all the research I have done. Is there anymore I should be aware of. Also I was wondering about larger size Helis, would that be a better route going into cps. Note,, I have access to a full gym during the day at my work. That's where I do alot of flying. What beginner cps would be suitable for that environment?
Benlovespbj is offline Find More Posts by Benlovespbj
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
7 Posts
I have and like the mcpx
gsxrflash is online now Find More Posts by gsxrflash
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:30 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,944 Posts
Walkrea never made a V911.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Walkrea never made a V911.
i think they did , here are the spare parts list for it
http://www.helipal.com/spare-part_wl...ters_v911.html
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:23 PM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
WL Toys make the V911.
I would go for the mCPX for your first.
I still have a Genius CP and don't think it's much good like most of Walkera's offerings.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
WL Toys make the V911.
I would go for the mCPX for your first.
I still have a Genius CP and don't think it's much good like most of Walkera's offerings.
there's tons of people who have great success with the Genius. Please don't spread mis-information just because you had a bad experience. I loved my brushless Genius but i sold it because I purchased a Devo transmitter and a miniCP to go with it. The miniCP admittedly flies bit better than the Genius did but only a tiny bit. To the original poster, i do recommend a micro if it's your first CP. They simply take a hit better than the larger helis. Also, invest in a sim because even the micros break and if you use a micro as your sim....you'll break it a lot until you crash less.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Thanks for your input!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
there's tons of people who have great success with the Genius. Please don't spread mis-information just because you had a bad experience. I loved my brushless Genius but i sold it because I purchased a Devo transmitter and a miniCP to go with it. The miniCP admittedly flies bit better than the Genius did but only a tiny bit. To the original poster, i do recommend a micro if it's your first CP. They simply take a hit better than the larger helis. Also, invest in a sim because even the micros break and if you use a micro as your sim....you'll break it a lot until you crash less.
thats his opinion and mine . i don't like them either. mine was DOA and no one was willing to replace it . helimax isint any better . all you need to do is a search on walkera and see all the misinformation you will find
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,204 Posts
i understand but seriously, look at the eflite threads those models have issues too.....all manufacturers have issue (ALL). i have had a 4#3b, a Genius, the Hoten-X, MiniCP, V120d02s, and just picked up a MasterCP and every single one of them worked well......mastercp actually i don't know....i'm going straight to a brushless setup before my maiden. I'm serious though, if you look at the threads, there are some who have problems but there are more who don't. also a lot of the people who had trouble are noobs. Not saying you are but a lot of those people are and they had no idea how to setup a cp heli.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:02 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
What misinformation?

It's my opinion and many others opinion based on what I've read.

There are also tons of people who have had continuous issues with them, too. You just need to look on Helifreak or sift through the GCP thread here to verify it.

Walkera are renowned for using crap servos, crap motors, metal into poor plastics, Cheese like Metals, and being a tinkerers Bird. They are money pits and cheap for a reason IMO.

I still own 3 Walkera's and have owned them previously.

I wont waste any more money on that garbage, and have now moved onto mid-range Gaui and Mikado that don't require constant flows of cash to maintain.

I think an mCPX is infinitely better than any 100 size Walkera, and what's more you're not lumbered with the proprietary new fangled (and probably obsolete next year) TX and Walkera's ever changing range of beta electronics.

Just my 1p
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:30 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,126 Posts
@V999D02
Curiously, how many motors have you burned through your helis, particularly your Genius CP.

I really can't recommend a GeniusCP either. The heli wasn't designed to fly for long since the motor burns out so easily. The batteries take an hour to charge, only lasts up to five minutes, and takes fewer cycle times before you have to buy new ones. And yet, despite the battery limiting my air time, i still managed to burn through two motors in a week and a third one already on its last legs.

You've gotten used flying back to back on your batteries in your v911. You CANNOT do that on a GeniusCP. Apparently, if you fly a Genius CP for 10 minutes straight, you end up with a dead motor.

It is not something you can use to practice on, you need actual flight time to learn how to fly a heli. A Genius CP cannot give that to you.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
I'll put in a vote for the Blade 130X... it's so much better than the mCPX.. Sounds like you're going to stick with this hobby for a while too, so it would be a good idea to pick up a Spektrum transmitter, and you're off and running. The stuff that opens up to you when you own a Spek radio is just amazing. You can pick up a micro plane or something and fly it right away, and they are so cheap and durable, it's a great way to explore the hobby.

Anyway, the 130X - I wrote a little review on my blog... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=161832

And I did a review video. If you have a little bit of skill, you can easily hover this thing. The only down side is it's not as durable as the mCPX and you don't want to be crashing it a lot. If you're going to crash, get the mCPX.

Blade 130X Consumer Review (14 min 45 sec)

E-Flite Blade mCPx Unboxing (1 of 3) (8 min 32 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Could you elaborate on what woul open up to me with a spectrum tx
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, TN, White House
Joined Oct 2008
137 Posts
Most everything in the LHS. Bind and flys are great for lazy asses such as myself who sometimes just want to buy new items already built and redy to go.
funkindatrunk is offline Find More Posts by funkindatrunk
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,150 Posts
I think a lot depends on where you are.

If you are in N. America, I would go for the Nano CPX and a DX6i transmitter. Initial reports suggests it flies better than the mCPX. I would avoid 130X for the time being. It flies great but many have got really bad samples. In any case, it requires a lot of knowledge to maintain that may be beyond your competence. This will be much worse if your are not in the US because HH warranty and service does not apply.

If you are looking at Walkera, the Mini CP would be my first choice. Like the 130X, the V120D02S is considerably less durable. If you want a larger sized heli, you may want to look at the 250 sized Master CP which is even cheaper than the Mini CP and V120D02S.

I have owned 4 mCPX, 2 Genius, and 2 Mini CPs and I cannot find any big differences in quality and reliability between them. There is no much difference to choose between them if you are sports flying. However the Mini CP is noticeably much better for learning mild 3D.

Blade Nano CPX.... flying low (0 min 22 sec)
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM.