SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:55 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
This one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Twin_Pack.html fits the diameter of the motor you posted.
The mount you posted said it fits 20mm one, I am afraid that the screw holes on it might not be the same as the motor you mentioned. But it is metal one, so it's easy to adjust the thrust angles needed, while the plastic one needs a piece or two of 1mm washer to get inserted between the motor and the mount for the thrust angles needed.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:55 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Dammit! Just went to place my order with HK and the motor I posted ealier is now on back order.

My original plan was to purchase this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12921

But now it is not available, would you think that this motor would be OK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18969

with this prop (looking for slow flying in a little bit of wind)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9846

Cheers
cheezels is offline Find More Posts by cheezels
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:58 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
I'm afraid you do not need such big motor, 300W+ is too big for Slow Stick unless you'd like to fly a SS fighter.
I'd suggest these two motors instead,
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
And the prop EP1060 (DD1060 or 10x6) fits the cheap 800KV one, while EP9050 (DD9050 or 9x5 ) fits the expensive 890KV one. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html if you use 3S with these two motors.

There are another brands' props in the same sizes available on HK web site as well. The DD ones are harder and better than the Slow Fly ones when using 3S lipo with the motors.
Last edited by twn Chen; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Thanks twn Chen, you've been a great help.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
My pleasure ! Let me know how you build and fly your SS.
Probably you only have to apply half throttle to take off as the set up with 3S lipo will give you more than enough thrust.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,972 Posts
While either motor would do the job, the (expensive?) 450 is the better option in my opinion. The weight is ideal, and the extra power can help on windy days and allow vertical climbs. For props, I would use 10x3.8,10x4.7,or DD1060. Again just my opinion, I prefer thrust over speed for the Slowstick. You may prefer a 9x6 or 9x7.

It appears that motor requires a 4mm prop adapter. The collet types are nice, but you may prefer a prop saver at first as it's fairly easy to snap a prop while learning to land. They are cheap enough to get both so you can swap later.

On another note, you may need to ream,drill,bore the prop to fit the adapter. Easy to do if you have the right tool.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Just out of interest, why would the motor I mentioned earlier be inappropriate?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18969

I'm finding motors, props and esc choosing to be quite a drama!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:59 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Well, like what I said earlier it's too powerful. It's a good motor to power Formosa II kind F3A aerobatic plane, but not the trainer, Slow Stick. It'd not be a good idea to put such powerful motor on SS unless you are an experienced pilot. And it'll consume many more Amps than the motors I posted. One of my buddy applied a Turnigy 3S 2200mAh 20C lipo with the 450 setup + prop 9050, he only applied half throttle for take off, 1/3 throttle for level flights and he had 20+ minutes flight duration each lipo. And he got almost 3.90V left each cell right after landing.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:03 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
My Slowsticks arrived today!!

Gotta say a big thumbs up to Grays RC. Easy to deal with and posted the kits on Tuesday for arrival today! Fedex allowed for almost minute by minute tracking on my iphone, as well. Too easy.

Just waiting for my motors from HK and then let the build commence.

Any top tips or things I should watch out for.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:12 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Probably you've already got the motor, let me know of what you did on this SS.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:16 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Hi twn Chen

I took your advice and went for the 890kv motor.

Bought a selection of different sized props as suggested by you and others.

Would a 30 amp ESC be OK??

Cheers
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezels View Post
Just wondering if someone could cure my headache and explain what the difference is between the GWS Slow Stick and the Pico stick, please.

Google isn't my friend anymore

I'm thinking of getting the Slow Stick, but came across the Pico, and so now, predictably, I'm confused.

Cheers
The Slow stick is larger and more popular. I would recommend it over the pico.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezels View Post
Hi twn Chen

I took your advice and went for the 890kv motor.

Bought a selection of different sized props as suggested by you and others.

Would a 30 amp ESC be OK??

Cheers
Hi Cheezels,

Yes, 30 Amp ESC is a good choice. I'm sure you could solder the connectors, 3 or 3.5mm ones, needed (3 pairs) with the motor and the ESC. Motor and ESC normally come with the connectors needed, if not, you have to add them also to your order. Besides of these 3 or 3.5mm bullet connectors, a pair of Dean or XT-60 connector is needed, too. Most of 3S lipo packs are with XT-60 female connector nowadays, while the balance lipo charger might be with the Dean one. Don't forget to add the balance charger to your order if you have no idea about it. I personally use iMax B6 with its adapter for converting AC into DC. Be reminded to take great CARE and follow the manual when charging your lipos, as lipo is not as friendly as normal Ni-Cd or NiMh cells.

Chen
Last edited by twn Chen; Oct 10, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:29 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
OK, build nearly finished but not sure which prop to put on.

9 x 6 or 10 x 4.7.

What difference would the props make?

(I've got 8 inch props as well)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:04 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Using prop 9 x 6 flies fast, while 10 x 4.7 flies not fast but climbs up better, if they all work with the same 3S lipo.
8 inch props draw less Amps depending on their pitches. You have a powerful motor, probably 8 inch one is good enough. Let me know of what 8 inch props you bought.

Suggest to fly your SS in calm weather if you have no idea about flying R/C, it's much better to have an instructor helping you if you are a beginner.
Last edited by twn Chen; Oct 14, 2012 at 08:15 PM.