HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:46 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Discussion
Stick Kits

Just wondering if someone could cure my headache and explain what the difference is between the GWS Slow Stick and the Pico stick, please.

Google isn't my friend anymore

I'm thinking of getting the Slow Stick, but came across the Pico, and so now, predictably, I'm confused.

Cheers
cheezels is offline Find More Posts by cheezels
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:24 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,939 Posts
Pico Stick is a small 26" wingspan mostly indoor flier, at least that's how it's sold. Would be fun to fly outside but not very wind tolerant, like all similar sized planes of that configuration.

The Slow Stick has a 36" wingspan, is considerably heavier and more suited to outside flight. I own a Slow Stick and am glad I do.

So these planes are brothers. The oldest brother is the small guy. Based on its success, GWS came out with the Slow Stick. The rest is history.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
OK, great, thanks for that.

I'm finally admitting that learning to fly with a funfighter is probably a bit too challenging, so I'm looking at the slow sticks.

Did you get yours as a complete combo (servos, esc etc).

Doesn't seem to be easy to find a kit like this.

Cheers
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
soar-ne
omaha ne
Joined May 2005
765 Posts
If you go to the Vendors area, GWS has a section. You could start a thread and ask where the slow stick is stocked in OZ. Someone should be able to help you I'm sure. Here in the states I think Caliber hobbies has a complete RTF outfit if I remember right...

Happy Flying
Bob M.
soar-ne is offline Find More Posts by soar-ne
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Pico Stick is a small 26" wingspan mostly indoor flier, at least that's how it's sold. Would be fun to fly outside but not very wind tolerant, like all similar sized planes of that configuration.

The Slow Stick has a 36" wingspan, is considerably heavier and more suited to outside flight. I own a Slow Stick and am glad I do.

So these planes are brothers. The oldest brother is the small guy. Based on its success, GWS came out with the Slow Stick. The rest is history.
The difference is greater than that; a Slowstick is 46" span with an 11.5" chord!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
And the Pico Stick is 36" span with a narrower chord, also, Pico Stick -F came with a foam fuselage. Add a setup (2208 or 400 size outrunner + ESC20A + prop 9x5 + 2S lipo) on it, you could fly it outdoor in winds. But adding reinforcement under its wing is required.

Using 3S lipo instead on the same set up could power Slow Stick well. One of my buddies put a 450 size 1000KV outrunnder instead last weekend, he only applied half throttle for take off, and 1/3 for flying level.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Last edited by twn Chen; Sep 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

I'm trying to keep my 'power trains' standard, so was wondering if the below would be a good choice for the Slow Stick.

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Power-C...-RCF-30-32.htm

Cheers
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Sep 2008
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezels View Post
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

I'm trying to keep my 'power trains' standard, so was wondering if the below would be a good choice for the Slow Stick.

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Power-C...-RCF-30-32.htm

Cheers
That is a little smaller and higher kv than I like with a Slow Stick. I like a 400 size motor (60 g) with a 9 or 10 inch slow flying prop (say a 9x5) and a 3s battery. You can get by with less though.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:40 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
cheezels, I agree with aurorae here. The motor you linked would be better suited for the Pico stick with a small 2s lipo, The Slowstick could fly with it, but it would be sluggish and hard to control on a windy day. The stock brushed motors for the SS are 60-70 grams, so getting the CG right can be tricky with a small motor. I suggest a larger motor with a lower kv.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:14 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
Actually the red and yellow Pico-sticks are 41"s
I prefer the yellow and I cut the wind down a bit and run a 10 gram outrunner, and I increase the rudder size to fly in more wind.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
OK, bit new to choosing motors, esc's and props etc.

Would this do the trick?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24529

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=27884

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9846

Cheers
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
That will do the job, but you may need a 10mm stick mount for the motor.

Butch777, I copied your altered Pico - Stick designs to some extent. But I used a homemade geared outrunner in the end. Actually, in the front.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
Thanks Ron, much appreciated.

What is a stick mount? Would you be kind enough to post a link, please.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:34 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
The motor comes with an aluminum cross mount, but it does not fit the stick fuselage of either Pico Stick or Slow Stick. The SS fuselage is 10mm square fiber-glassed one, you might need a GWS black plastic mount that fits the 10mm stick well. Probably the SS kit includes such mount for you.

The prop you posted might not work well if you apply a 3S lipo with the motor, better to use a harder one, GWS EP9050 or EP8040 or APC hard one instead.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:59 PM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
OK, thanks for all the help.

Is this the kind of thing?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ount_20mm.html

and will this fit the motor??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24529

Cheers