HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
You won't be disappointed with that new board. I got my H100 yesterday and spent about an hour trying to get the software and interface to work. Then I said to hell with it and took the whole thing apart to replace the board. I didn't like the arrangement anyway. The long part of the board that sticks out should be in the front or back, not the side. The battery should be on the bottom.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,480 Posts
Well it died. Won't arm. It was flying great the last time and now nothing. I'm thinking of getting the KK2 board everyone is talking about and putting that and my Rx on it. Since I don't know much about using computers this might be a good fix. Any ideas?

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,958 Posts
The KK2 board is very easy to use. No computers needed. Once connected and set up you make all adjustments right on the board.
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
Tom, are you having any trouble like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eayUy...eature=related
The reason why the quad is wobbling is because the ESC needs to be properly calibrated. The ESC needs hrottle range needs to be calibrated with 1-6 clicks of down throttle sub trim when calibrating the ESC's (the clicks will all depend on the TX that you are using. Spektrum requires only 1 click if it has the default 4 values per click of subtrim. Stock AeroSky TX requires 6 clicks. If the ESC is not calibrated with any down sub trim it will cause the quad to wobble when flying outside in the wind. The FC tells the ESC to slow down the motors and when the motors get near low throttle they shut off and the FC gets confused and the others go faster or reduce to stop the wobble causing the death wobble like in the video.

When you arm the board you want the motors to be spinning. If the motors are not spinning when you arm the board you will need to recalibrate the ESC like the above.

I ran into the same problem when Xheli first got the quads in. So far all the RTF's should be properly calibrated out the box. However the ARF's will need to be calibrated before flying.
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,480 Posts
Bobepine has some great videos on how to build a quad copter. I've watched all of them several times. He makes it look easy. So I figure with my existing quad parts all I need to do is add the new board following his steps. Sounds easy enough. Guess I need to order a KK2 board. Thank you for the help and input.
Just ordered the kk2 board, wish me luck.
Tom

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1738108&page=5
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carr52; Oct 19, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,480 Posts
I thought while I was waiting on the new KK2 board I'd plug the H100 into the PC. I did and it said downloading drivers and then that was it. Has anyone else tried to program their H100? Thanks for any help.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Read the MWC X250 thread. That will give you a good of the software configuration and setup needed. There is also a trick for setting the ESCs by using a temporary Mulitwii configuration, described in that thread.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,480 Posts
That all sounds like a foreign language to me but what the heck I'll give it a shot. The H100 isn't flying at all right now. The LEDs on the board do light up when I connect the battery. Won't arm. So no fly. Thanks Balr14.

Tom

Update: Well that was a real bust. Man I totally sux when it come to using a PC. I can check email and shop.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carr52; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,247 Posts
this thing is only $180 and maybe a quad I need to try for my first one...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:59 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
You might want to read the rest of this thread...it ain't looking good...As you can see Tom's is only a week or two old and it's no longer flying.
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Quote:
Your first quad should be a Blade MQx, or one of it's copies. The WL Toys V929 is the only copy I know by name. These are simple design, very durable, no setup and will teach you the basics of quad flight. For a first "kit type" quad that uses standard components and flight control boards, the KK2 board is easier to setup and use. The MultiWii boards that use Arduino can be a challenge, because they vary widely in features, function, setup and price. The board that comes on this heli is a very low-end board, probably not something you would buy if you were looking for a board. The basic H100 isn't bad (motors, ESCs, frame, etc) with a decent board.
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 22, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Your first quad should be a Blade MQx, or one of it's copies. The WL Toys V929 is the only copy I know by name. These are simple design, very durable, no setup and will teach you the basics of quad flight. For a first "kit type" quad that uses standard components and flight control boards, the KK2 board is easier to setup and use. The MultiWii boards that use Arduino can be a challenge, because they vary widely in features, function, setup and price. The board that comes on this heli is a very low-end board, probably not something you would buy if you were looking for a board. The basic H100 isn't bad (motors, ESCs, frame, etc) with a decent board.
For a few bucks more I would rather have quad that can fly a Gopro..
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Quote:
For a few bucks more I would rather have quad that can fly a Gopro..
I flew planes for several years, switched to helis 5 years ago and recently switched to quads. I'm certainly no expert with quads and I'm old, so I learn slowly. But, I'm extremely glad I bought the Blade MQx to get used to flying quads. I'll bet I've crashed it 100 times with no damage. I've done $50 damage or more to each of several kit quads just setting them up. I'd want to build a lot better quad, with a board that's loaded with features, if I was going to put a GoPro on it. But, you know what your risk tolerance is far better than I do.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:56 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
Progress Update plus Calibrate your ESCs!

• First, thanks to Brad for the tips on mounting the board. My foam pad was still intact, so I just drilled some 1/8" holes through the pad and the board underneath and mounted with 4-40 screws. I'm going to replace them with nylon screws after my next visit to the LHS. I'm thinking of buying another foam pad and putting the battery on the bottom, and the flight control board on top. Being able to see the LEDs and accessing the connectors is a plus, and it lowers the CG. Why they put the battery on top is beyond me!
  • Just like Tom, I lost a prop nut. Never found it in the grass. Fortunately, the copter was only a few feet off the ground; I'm afraid to fly higher until I trust both myself and the copter. I tightened the prop nuts with a much larger wrench. The motor shaft is a press fit into the housing which limits the amount of torque you can use before it slips. After 3 flights, things seem to be working. I don't want to use Loctite because that would make it very hard to remove.
  • Oscillation problem is solved by calibrating the ESCs as described by TonyTypeS in post #64. There is also an ESC Calibration Program on the Multiwii.com site. To calibrate the ESCs, remove the throttle servo lead from the MWC board and plug in the 4-1 servo cable that should be included with the H100. Then plug the 4 ESC cables into the 4-1 cable. Set your throttle trim as described by TonyTypeS and calibrate your ESCs as described on the Hobbywing.com website: http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...l/HW-01-SW.pdf .

For those who bought the ARF version, not having this information will certainly cause a crash and most likely destruction. Why isn't this important tidbit of information included in the instructions that come with the model?? Regardless, one should not have to seek divine intervention to find out what that cable is meant to do, or even how to use it? Instructions?? Instructions?? No, we dont need no stinking instructions!! A little help on the Documentation please Xheli!! Do you want your customers to be successful with your products?
  • With the oscillation problem solved, my flying became more adventureous and I crashed the quadcopter breaking one of the motor mounts from it's arm. I ordered a new frame to use for spare parts. Meanwhile I've expoxied the arm back together with kevlar thread. We'll see how long that lasts.
  • I've tried till I'm blue in the face to get the MultiWII Configuration program to work with the board. I've tried the USB, and even an FTDI serial interface. I've looked at the Rx and Tx lines with my BusPirate and data flows a little. When the MWC configuration program is started, the LEDs flash for a couple of seconds and then nothing. Pressing Start on the Config program results in a line of 0's. I've no clue as why it doesn't work. I might try to save the contents of the Flash and EEPROM using AVRDude before trying to reload the software with the Arduino suite. I'm afraid that if I reprogram using the terrible directions included with the H100, I'll end up with a useless brick.
  • I ordered both a KK flight board and a Crius All In One board. I'll post the results when I learn more.

Thanks to everyone that's posted on this topic. It's been invaluable.
- David
algolytics is offline Find More Posts by algolytics
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
I had difficulty getting MultiWii to work reliably with this board as well. The drivers seem to work better with Windows 7 than Windows Vista, if that helps anyone.