SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
Sebring Florida
Joined Jul 2007
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
Tom, are you having any trouble like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eayUy...eature=related
I am. I have had mine since last Friday. It hovered fine in my apartment for 12 minutes and everything seemed fine. When I took it outdoors in winds of 0 to 6mph the first minute I let it hover, as soon as the wind picked up a little it started doing the same thing as in the video. I tried several more times and the same thing happened. I took it inside and it seemed ok. I hovered it inside again and it never wobbled and then drop to the floor. I then decided to hold it in my hand loosely and let it hover. I wiggled it like the wind did. At first it just corrected itself from my movements. It then started to wobble just like the video with me holding it. I had to throttle it back to make it stop.

I wrote to Xheli support yesterday, Sunday, to see if they could help me. I sent them a link to this video. I have not had a responce yet. I also told Xheli that it yaws to the left. I had to give it so much right trim that I could not disarm it unless I backed off on the right trim. The board that is on this Quadcopter is not the board I thought it would be. It's not the one in their PDF manual. I can't find anything on this board and after seeing this video of someone with the same problem I am starting to look for something to take it's place. Maybe the MWC MultiWii Multicopter SE Standard Edition Flight Control Board. The one I thought it would come with. Brad
cryos11 is offline Find More Posts by cryos11
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:19 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,973 Posts
Can you post a pic of the board? I have the PDF of the MWC board and I'm hoping that's the board this comes with, even though I understand they can be a nightmare to program. If we can't identify the board we're in trouble. Carr52 or Balr14, can you guys confirm which board you have. Also, cyros11, check the solder points. I've heard this can be an issue. Otherwise it may be the board especially if it's not what's advertised.
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
Those quads use a KK board with add-ons. They lack the features found on a MWC board. Notice the old style pots for manually adjusting the gyro. Here's the MWC boards I have and the KK 5.5 board:
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Those quads use a KK board with add-ons. They lack the features found on a MWC board. Notice the old style pots for manually adjusting the gyro. Here's the MWC boards I have and the KK 5.5 board:
Exactly why I posted it! Thanks Balr14...I just want to make a good decision here.

Have you received your H100 yet? Thoughts?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
Quote:
Exactly why I posted it! Thanks Balr14...I just want to make a good decision here.

Have you received your H100 yet? Thoughts?
I have not received it yet. If you followed the link to MWC X250 topic I gave you, you will find programming the MWC board is not very difficult. If I can do it, you can do it! I'm pushing 70, so learning (and remembering) new stuff is not easy.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:12 PM
Sebring Florida
Joined Jul 2007
36 Posts
Quote:
Can you post a pic of the board? I have the PDF of the MWC board and I'm hoping that's the board this comes with, even though I understand they can be a nightmare to program. If we can't identify the board we're in trouble. Carr52 or Balr14, can you guys confirm which board you have. Also, cyros11, check the solder points. I've heard this can be an issue. Otherwise it may be the board especially if it's not what's advertised.
The board is stuck to a foam pad so I can't check the solder points yet but when the MWC MultiWii SE board comes from Value Hobby I will look at it then. I was just hoping to get an answer from Xheli that would fix the problem but after waiting for two days I think it's time to move on.

Here's the best picture I could get for you. As you can see the numbers for the pins are not on this side and if it's the same as the one pictured in the photo copy pages (not the PDF file) they sent with it it says X-ROCK and all the numbers are on the soldered side. This does not look the same as the one in the PDF file. All the pins are rearranged and this one has the USB mini port on it and a direction arrow.

Xheli did write to me late yesterday and they said "Did you receive a quad y connector with 4 female leads and 1 male lead? You would use that to connect all 4 of the ESCs to program the throttle range all at once." That's it

There was no Quad Y connector, nothing mentioned in the fold out manual, nothing in the photo copy pages, and the requirements that are stated on their site for the ARF version does not say anything about a Quad Y connector. The Aerosky flys as it should inside my apartment it fails when the slightest gust hits it outside. Brad
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Hate having to wait on the new props but what heck it was my fault for not putting some kind of loctite or thread lock on the hubs. That being said I went into town today and got a couple of 6mm nuts that fit the H100 motor hubs nicely. Taped an extra to the back of the Tx. Right now I'm trying to make some kind of camera mount to go under the quad. I'll have to make the landing legs a bit longer.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,973 Posts
I decided on a custom built Armattan 339. No H100. I really appreciate all of the response here. It made my decision more educated and easier. If you're interested in seeing a video of the Armattan 339, let me know and I'll post one.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Yeah man. Would love it. Are going to do the build yourself? They make it look easy but when it comes to the programming part my brain goes blank. I can build a house from the ground up but when it comes to computers I'm doing good to check email.

Tom
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:27 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,973 Posts
OK. Here's the video the seller provided. Shipped this morning. I did have to purchase a FS-TH9X from HobbyPartz. Total cost, including TX/RX was $230!!

Maiden Voyage Of The Armattan 339 (3 min 59 sec)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Looking good! Where did you get that little beauty? You used your Tx and Rx was it hard to setup? Or just plug in the Rx and fly? Thanks for the video. Is there a web site for this model?

Tom
Last edited by carr52; Oct 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:48 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Feb 2008
8 Posts
Aerosky Board Pinouts

Just got my H100 two days ago. This is my first multicopter and I've no Heli experience, but I have plenty of RC fixed wing time. I flew it for one battery yesterday and managed to keep it intact even though things were way squirrely. Today is way too windy to try more flying, so having way too much time on my hands, I followed the advice of Dave on http://www.eevblog.com: "Don't turn in on, Take it apart!" (If I canít wreck it flying, I know I can do it with a soldering iron.)

First thing I noticed is that the board is not the same board referenced on the product page at Xheli.com. My board has a micro USB connector, as does CYROS11's. The documentation on the website must refer to an older version that has just the serial interface and requires an USB / Serial adapter to program or configure. Using the manual PDF on the website will most likely spell disaster with the newer board. The old config.h specifies FREEIMUv035_BMP; the new DROTEK_6DOF_MPU with a different address. Frankly, I donít trust either. Note to Xheli.com: Please keep your documentation, as bad is it is, current. The paper in the box should not be newer than that on your website.

I loaded the MultiWii_2_1 software as specified, and plugged in the USB which seemed to work, with a new COM port showing that the CP210x chip was talking to my PC. LEDs on the board light up and flash, which I took to be a good sign. Later I found that that meant only that the board had 5V. Then I ran MultiWiiConf_2_1.exe and successfully connected to the COM port. Then Ö. NOTHING. Clicking the ďStartĒ button resulted in a graph of 0ís as opposed to the graph of the sensors. Using the LOAD command resulted in a file of 0ís. Selecting an unused COM port gives the same results. A little help here please??? Should I forget the on-board USB and use an FTDI?? I'm very hesitant to try to reload any firmware lest I brick it.

I could go on forever, but to cut to the chase, here are annotated photos of t he front and back of the MWC board. I pried off the board which was hot glued to the foam mounting with a paint scraper. Yes, it is an X-ROCK board, whatever that means. Question: how should I remount it: Velcro? Screws? Should it be solidly mounted to the frame, or should there be some vibration isolation?
algolytics is offline Find More Posts by algolytics
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Ya lost me right after soldering iron. I have tried to learn the computer aspect of these things but to no avail. I'm better off sticking to the flying part. Took mine out today and used it to blow the leaves off the gutters on my house. I have gutter guards on the gutters but the leaves will just sit on top of the gutters till a good wind comes along or it rains and washes them off. This was quicker and more fun.

Tom
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:15 AM
Sebring Florida
Joined Jul 2007
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by algolytics View Post
I could go on forever, but to cut to the chase, here are annotated photos of t he front and back of the MWC board. I pried off the board which was hot glued to the foam mounting with a paint scraper. Yes, it is an X-ROCK board, whatever that means. Question: how should I remount it: Velcro? Screws? Should it be solidly mounted to the frame, or should there be some vibration isolation?
I used 3mm thick double adhesive foam. I see them mounted solid with nylon screws and I see them mounted with foam. I went with the foam. The kind that I used is really hard to get off if you mess it up like I did the first try. It's the same stuff you get with servos but it's 3mm thick and not too spongy.

I cut the foam so it would lay flat on the underside. What that means is I cut it so it would not stick where the long solder joints stick out. I cut around them. There ends up being plenty of surface area to get a nice flat even mount. The original board like yours was hot gluged to the black foam and it was so uneven where the solder bumps raised it up, it had to go. Hot glue doesn't stick to well to a smooth surface like the circuit board plates used on the Aerosky. Mine popped off the fouth time pluging the USB mini cord in.

I had a similar problem getting Multiwii 2.0 config to work after it was working fine. I ended up restarting my computer and all was back to normal. I would like to load MultiWii_2_1 but I guess I'm not to familiar with arduino-1.0.1. I update firmware all the time on my computer, my dvd, and blu-ray drives but when I start Adrino I don't understand what I am seeing. In time I will figure it out.

I ended up getting the MWC MultiWii Multicopter SE Standard Edition Flight Control Board from ValueHobby. The X-ROCK board seem to be missing too many features I was expecting for future addons. Have not tried it yet and I hope it doesn't wobble and drop to the ground this time. Maybe my other board was setup wrong. One things for sure. It did not fly Out Of The Box like the video said it would.

I've been having alot of fun with my MQX clone, the V929. It is the reason I wanted something more. Then I start watching all those Warthox videos at warthox.de/video/ now I want to be able to do that too. I have a Thermik XXXL, a Sharon 4200, several F5B hotliners, and helis but these quad, tri, hex,and octocopters fasinate me. Brad