HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,232 Posts
As far as that interface thing goes I'll be better off just unpluging the battery when I'm done each time. I have no idea how to do that stuff. People say I'll talk ya through it. Not happening. My brain doesn't work that way. I'm just not PC freindly. My idea of fixing a PC or computer problem is chuck it out and get a new one.
Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Found it at NitroPlanes with a 6% coupon code and I can use PayPal...with shipping $227!!
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,232 Posts
Cool, this thing is alot of fun but I all most cut my head off a few time. I'm gonna trymy hand at building one from scratch. We'll see how that goes.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Hey Tom,

Can I ask about your previous flying experience? What all have you flown before? Co-axials, CP helis, etc...? Do you fly 3D? I'm just trying to guage an experience level, because you looked like you knew what you were doing in your video.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,232 Posts
I started with the little Symas like a lot of people. Then got a 4 channel Novis 125 FP. From there went to the Blade MCPX also I have a Blade 4 channel MSRX. I've bought and flown a bunch of different helis from CP to CX. My favorite so far has been the Esky Big Lama. Its a CX. Easy to fly and fun. Just have to fly it easy to avoid blade strikes. Never did get into the 3D thing. I just like flying around for fun. No stress. I just took the H100 out in the yard for a little play time. Not quite dark yet so the LEDs on it don't blind ya so bad.

Tom
I like the 3D planes thing. Do a lot of that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,232 Posts
After my last flight I've been wondering how hard it would be to replace the Rx with one of mine so I could use my Tx? Anyone done this? I'm pretty much lost at some of this stuff. I was also looking at another quad called Storm Drone from Helipal. Looks pretty good.

Tom

Update: Found out what the ch5 and ch6 knobs do. They control servos. Works pretty good. I just plugged a couple in and thats it. For a camera mount control. Cancel the Storm Drone. Its just an upside down H100. Now looking at MX400.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carr52; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:12 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
After my last flight I've been wondering how hard it would be to replace the Rx with one of mine so I could use my Tx? Anyone done this? I'm pretty much lost at some of this stuff. I was also looking at another quad called Storm Drone from Helipal. Looks pretty good.

Tom

Update: Found out what the ch5 and ch6 knobs do. They control servos. Works pretty good. I just plugged a couple in and thats it. For a camera mount control. Cancel the Storm Drone. Its just an upside down H100. Now looking at MX400.
Hey Tom,

I thought about the MX400. $382 shipped. Somewhat high priced, but incredibly stable.

You should be able to easily change out the receiver to use your own TX. Just remember which plugs go into which channels on the Aerosky RX. Simply replace that receiver and plug everything in exactly the same way. You should be OK.

I'm still interested in learning how to set the auto-stabilize using the included software.

Balr, can you list or PM me some instructions?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:44 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,708 Posts
Auto-stabilize is a function of accelerometers on the MX400. They are always turned on, so the MX400 is very tame. On most MWC boards, it's controlled by a switch (channel 6), so you can activate/deactivate at will. It makes for a much more agile handling quad, capable of flips, loops, rolls, etc. In addition, you can engage the barometer to lock altitude, in the same manner (channel switch). Hit both at the same time and you would be surprised how the quad reacts. The strength of these features is set in the GUI programming interface. You may also set defaults, if you don't have channels to control them. I accidently set magnetometer, barometer and accelerometers and other features on with very high values when I first set up my X250. I had to fight the quad like crazy to get it to take-off. If I gave it full throttle it would go straight up about 10 feet and just sit there and refuse to move. The barometer was locking altitude, the magnetometer was locking direction and the accelerometers were not allowing it to tilt, so it wouldn't move. I had to cut power to get it to come down. My favorite function is carefree mode, which engages the magnetometer to provide virtual orientation. It doesn't matter which direction the quad is facing, it's always virtually pointing the tail in to you.

I would advise you to look at the MWC X250 thread. It's loaded with the same practical info and I learned a lot from it. My only problem now is having enough channels to provide control switches for all of the features. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668441
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
OK. I really like the MX400, but still the biggest issue is the $382...

So, I'm on the verge with the H100. $227 is a good deal. Could I replace the TX/RX with this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

That way I'd have 6 channels to eventually engage the auto-stabilize.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Tom, are you having any trouble like this:
Aerosky Quadcopter Wobble (1 min 37 sec)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,232 Posts
I haven't had any thing like that happen yet. Took it out this morning to the soccer field and flew for a while. It was really going good till I lost a prop nut and did a cartwheel across the field. Broke a prop also. The wind was blowing but it seemed to handle that pretty well. Now I have to wait till the new props come in. I think I should have used some thread lock. Oops. I'm still eyeballing the Walkera UFO MX400

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post

So, I'm on the verge with the H100. $227 is a good deal. Could I replace the TX/RX with this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

Just went and looked. Thats a 4ch Tx and Rx. I was going to switch over to my DX6i and a Orange Rx from HK but decided to use the stock Tx because of the ch6 knob. Proportional control of a servo for camera mount.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post

If you really get into that quad, you are going to want 8 or 9 channels. I wasn't happy with just auto-stabilization for much more than a day.

That wobble is a byproduct of some other issue. I have seen similar with poor contacts on some of those built-in soldering connections. It could also be an ESC or motor. You would use the Arduino GUI interface to test for those kind of problems.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 15, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Just went and looked. Thats a 4ch Tx and Rx. I was going to switch over to my DX6i and a Orange Rx from HK but decided to use the stock Tx because of the ch6 knob. Proportional control of a servo for camera mount.
Sorry, I meant this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

Same price.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,232 Posts
I'm still considering using my DX6i and a HK orange Rx just so I can add in some expo. Might make it easier handle. Although it handles pretty good as is. Can't seem to get that Walkera UFO MX400 out of my head. My new props should be here this week so in the mean time I'll need to find another prop nut. I'll just take it in town to the hardware store.

Tom
MX400 not compatiable with DX6i
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by carr52; Oct 15, 2012 at 04:08 PM.