Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,415 Posts
We should find out this week end. My H100 is suppose to be here tomorrow. We'll see. I'll do some video if it gets here. Time will tell. I saw the video of this Quad on youtube. Looked OK to me.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:40 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,876 Posts
Hey Tom,

You see this: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/f450-quad...assembled.html

That's the same quad, but with GPS, no TX/RX though. I think GPS will allow for position hold, which means you can release the sticks and the quad will try to maintain its current position. VERY COOL.
JHawk19 is offline Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,415 Posts
I wish I had seen that before I bought the one I did. But its done now so I will deal with it. I haven't been to the post office yet so I dont know if the quad has arrived yet.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,415 Posts
The Aerosky Quad arrived. I charged the battery and mounted the props. Took it out for its first flight and I must say its pretty cool. You do need some helicopter experience but not much. I'm fairly new at this and I did ok. No crashes its still in one piece. I'll take it out tomorrow to an open field and see how it goes. The battery has banana plugs and all my stuff has deans so I'll either have to make a jumper or just change the plug on the quad. I'll leave it for now. So for just out of the box I thinks its going to be a good platform for a small camera.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,357 Posts
I ordered one, too. I have a spare Crius MultiWii (MWC) board with all the goodies looking for a home. The one it comes with is pretty basic. You really need at least 7 channels to support additional functions. I ordered the RTF version so I can sell the whole thing if I don't like it. I haven't tried GPS yet, because it's kind of iffy on most lower priced units. You are relying on signal strength in your area and it requires a very good (expensive) antenna.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,415 Posts
This is a lower priced unit alright. At the moment its doing good. Run 4 batteries through it so far. Only problem is the arming and disarming. Don't like that. Because it quit working properly. It'll arm ok but when you try to disarm its sort of a crap shoot. It might and it might not. If it doesn't disarm you have to reach in between the props and unplug the battery before it shuts down. That part quit working right after the first pack. Bummer. Also where do you buy blades for this thing? They're 10x4.5 look like the slofly types.

Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,876 Posts
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and seeing a video. I really want to know what happens if you bail on the sticks. Does it recover at all or do you have to keep your wits just like a 4 channel heli.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,357 Posts
It has accelerometers, so it should stabilize. However, with a 4 channel TX/RX you would have no way to turn auto-stabilize on/off, so you would have to set it in software. I do not see a barometer or magnetometer on the board, so it won't support carefree mode or altitude hold.

Arming and disarming is a problem on lots of control boards, not just the cheap ones. They are incredibly sensitive to range settings on your sticks.
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 12, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It has accelerometers, so it should stabilize. However, with a 4 channel TX/RX you would have no way to turn auto-stabilize on/off, so you would have to set it in software.
Hey Balr, do you know how to set this up? If I use a DX6i I should be able to turn on the auto-stabilize feature. Can you walk me through that or send me in the right direction?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and seeing a video. I really want to know what happens if you bail on the sticks. Does it recover at all or do you have to keep your wits just like a 4 channel heli.
You need to stay on the controls. It doesn't stop and hover on its own you need to do it. But it does hover nice. Took it out last night and the leds are really bright. The white ones on the back will blind you. I did a little video today. I'll check it out later and see what I got. Most of the time I have the hat cam on too low or too high. If I got anything worth posting I'll put it here. Also here is a link for props. I ordered both CCW and CW.

Tom
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200820948933...84.m1423.l2649
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Also where do you buy blades for this thing? They're 10x4.5 look like the slofly types.

Tom
Hey Tom,

Just a suggestion...why don't you buy an extra frame? That gets you 4 extra blades and an entire frame for $29 as a crash backup...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
Hey Balr, do you know how to set this up? If I use a DX6i I should be able to turn on the auto-stabilize feature. Can you walk me through that or send me in the right direction?
I can help, but I'm no expert. The manual and directions they linked to shows accelerometers, but I can't tell for sure, nor can I say how good they are. You might want too try the GoodLuckBuy version, if you don't mind the wait. That version has a barometer, which helps with stabilizing. I've bought some quad electronics, motors, ESCs and hardware from there and I'm satisfied. Just wish it didn't take so long.
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,415 Posts
Well the LED's on the frame dont last long. I rolled it over on its back and it hit on the arm tip and that cut the LED wire from that point. So they only light on the first half of the strip. Oh well. Still flys good. It still won't disarm. I put the throttle down and to the left but it doesn't disarm anymore.

Tom
Aerosky H100 (5 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,357 Posts
C'mon, let's see a flip!

For your disarming issue, you might want to get the Arduino interface and check your settings. http://www.goodluckbuy.com/ftdi-basi...-arduino-.html. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MWC-MultiWii...-/120820740300. These are examples. I don't know if they fit that board. it's also called an MWC config card.
Last edited by Balr14; Oct 13, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,876 Posts
Those blades (non-orange) are invisible! I like the bright orange, but I may have to get some bright green or red to replace the "invisible" ones. Thank you for posting the video, Tom. I think I'll pull the trigger and pick one up. I think I'll pick up the Red/White...

You guys know any coupon codes to Xheli? I found a 5% off, which is almost $11 off, but a 10% off would be awesome!!
Last edited by JHawk19; Oct 13, 2012 at 06:33 PM.