HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
Help!
Engine needed

In 'fuel talk' I have a discussion about trying to get back into the hobby after losing everything to unfortunate circumstance. I have been looking for a trainer and , having no luck I came accross the plans for a LAZY BEE that I will be scratch building. Problem is I have no motor for this. I am looking for a small engine with throttle control for this project. If you have one in your stash drawer either FREE OR CHEAP .PLEASE PM
Dbeckner is offline Find More Posts by Dbeckner
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:57 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeckner View Post
In 'fuel talk' I have a discussion about trying to get back into the hobby after losing everything to unfortunate circumstance. I have been looking for a trainer and , having no luck I came accross the plans for a LAZY BEE that I will be scratch building. Problem is I have no motor for this. I am looking for a small engine with throttle control for this project. If you have one in your stash drawer either FREE OR CHEAP .PLEASE PM
I don't have one to spare, but you can buy Cox R/C engines from the following suppliers:

http://stores.ebay.ca/XENALOOK/RC-En...sub=2384431015

http://stores.ebay.com/EX-Model-Engi...fsub=301143012

EX-Model-Engines (esp-ex3460) has two exhaust restrictor throttle cox engines, a Golden Bee style with tank for $50 and Sure Start style without tank for $30 plus $4 shipping, US pricing.

Xenalook of Canada has two types of throttles, the traditional exhaust restrictor throttle and a newer choke tube intake throttle. The newer one is reported to have a more linear throttle response and works excellently. Costs are $35 and $39 respectively plus $4 shipping (US prices). They also sell one ounce clunk tanks since these motors do not come with integral tanks.

Either type throttle should work fine for your use. YMMV.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Last edited by OkiThumper; Sep 14, 2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Corrected price on Golden Bee style engine.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:54 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,538 Posts
If you want cheap and new, there is also an AP .09 for about $32 delivered in the US from Hobbypartz. They list an .06 but I think it is discontinued. Norvel carries an .049 and .06 that is pretty good too. You can get the old Cox stuff, but it doesn't have a great muffler and throttle for the same $. I am not sure what size Lazy Bee you have, and if it would match the .09, You may get a cheaper or free one, but after shipping, and used hassles, the AP is pretty good. Mine is anyway.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Norvel is no longer in business. AFAIK, some years back, they found machining parts more lucrative than the model airplane business. Sig Manufacturing was their distributor but no longer list the Norvels. Regarding the AP .061 sold by Hobbypartz (also nitroplane.com), the Norvel clone, once in a while it is back in stock for short periods (a day or two). However, it's been a while so I think that may have been discontinued. TowerHobbies.com sells the Thunder Tiger .07 R/C for $60 US, which is a good replacement for the .061 and a little more powerful, but pricey compared with other choices.

The OP mentioned about being short on funds, so the AP .09 R/C is a good buy for under $35 US, but would be an overkill for an .049 park flyer.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:29 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,538 Posts
NV Engines looks like it still is selling the Norvels. They start at $55 for the Control line version and go up. It looks like the bigger ones are available too. Not real cheap though.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Just bought a Norvel .074 from www.nvengines.com. They have a FAQ that explains the status of the company.

It's a wonderful engine and well worth the cash. I am NOT sure if they still offer the R/C .049, though. Seems to be perpetually out of stock. The .074 would probably be too much for that airframe. Plus, they ARE spendy...but I just can't say enough good about them OR about nvengines...customer service has been top-notch.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:49 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
After doing some Googling (I was interested in the specs for the Norvel Big Mig .061 R/C), I found the following website:

http://www.nvengines.com

They mention about purchasing Norvel in 2010 from the parent company. I looked at their prices. Yes, you can buy a Norvel, but they are a little pricey. The Big Mig .061 R/C is $75 US. IMO a collector or died in wool user might pay that price. Also, they don't list an address on their website. They sell the R/C 1 oz. clunk tank mount for $15, which is a reasonable price.

Having never ordered from them, I'd prefer seeing if others have had good luck with them.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
Just bought a Norvel .074 from www.nvengines.com. They have a FAQ that explains the status of the company.

It's a wonderful engine and well worth the cash. I am NOT sure if they still offer the R/C .049, though. Seems to be perpetually out of stock. The .074 would probably be too much for that airframe. Plus, they ARE spendy...but I just can't say enough good about them OR about nvengines...customer service has been top-notch.
I was a little slow in responding and see that in a short time, several others have responded. I didn't realize that NV Engines is back in business. It was some 5-7 years ago or so, that it looked like Norvel was leaving the business for good.

Just curious, but where do they ship these engines from? And what are the shipping costs like?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
They are shipped out of California. Can't remember exact shipping costs, but they are reasonable.

Evidently, nvengines is a privately held Russian company now...and it retains all the same designers as the old government owned norvel.

There is an FAQ on the site that explains the details.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:29 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
I looked at the website, and regarding that FAQ, haven't found it. Link?

Well, I kinda wish them luck. The engines aren't being sold on any of the major internet houses such as Hobby-Lobby (not the crafts store), Hobby People (formerly Hobby Shack), Tower Hobbies, etc. They have even dropped the Chinese clone AP .061 R/C. Although I just noticed that there are more Norvels on E-Bay, which explains their premium cost.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
It's under "HOME" on the site...can't post link as I am on my phone right now. Sorry for the confusion...its not a faq but an article under home.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Here's the post (got to a computer) under "home" on www.nvengines.com:

Quote:
NV Engines (former Norvel) is a Russian manufacturer of premium sport and competition two stroke glow engines to the RC and CL hobby market place. Since 1992 NV engines have been synonymous with amazingly friendly performance and durability. The manufacturer was the first to pioneer in using the innovative Revlite™ technology that boasts "best-in-class" power-to-weight ratios and fuel efficiency. NV 1/2A engines are the best respected small engines in the world
In 2010 the motor division was purchased from the parent manufacturing business. Although NV is not the same large government subsidized company, we have the same high standards for quality, the core staff is the same, and now with the chief NV designer in charge, we feel being a privately owned company gives us the ability to concentrate solely on making engines and the flexibility to work more closely with our customers to make product improvements. Every engine and part you see on the site is in stock and available for sale. All orders (except Russia) are shipped from the United States, California. As time has shown our engines provide a safe investment on your part - they will serve you well for years to come. It is also true that you can probably find other engine brands cheaper, but, we are confident, you will not find them better - we are number one for a reason...

We are constantly exploring ways to improve our manufacturing technologies to cut waste, increase efficiency, and expand our variety of products. Innovation and core competency have long been a strength at NV Engines, and it is even more so today. Out latest addition to the glow engine line is AX46BB.

The secondary purpose of this site is to provide a meeting place for loyal NV customers who can share their own experiences with NV products, post their pictures, videos for others to see. With over 500000 engines sold it should be interesting and beneficial to everyone. Please register to the site to receive products' updates and sales announcements - we are not going to annoy you with advertising nor share your email address. With the current high demand we are not trying to sell - we are trying to build a community as our customers always have our priority. Please let us know if you experience a problem registering or viewing any pages on the site - the site is still under construction.

We are planning to add a Hall of Fame to our web site. If you have won a competition using our engines, please send us a picture of yourself with your plane, your name, and the event description. Your picture will be displayed on our web site and you will become eligible for future product discounts and special promotions.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
Funds are very tight . That is why I posted as 'Free Or Cheap" I would definately like to get this projecct going.The Lazy Bee calls for .049- .15 40-48 w.s.
I was in hopes of staying with a throttle so I could use 3 channel and maybe eventually go to an aileron wing..
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbeckner View Post
Funds are very tight . That is why I posted as 'Free Or Cheap" I would definately like to get this projecct going.The Lazy Bee calls for .049- .15 40-48 w.s.
I was in hopes of staying with a throttle so I could use 3 channel and maybe eventually go to an aileron wing..
Sorry about the norvel drift. I don't currently have any 1/2a engines cheap or free. Keep an eye on eBay...its risky...but you may find some deals.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
sirzeppu
You dont have to apologize - I enjoy the info...Thanks

Another stupid question--- Would anyone have a trainer kit ..If you read the post on the other forum you will see I am trying desperately to get back in the air