HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
Today's progress.. Got started around 1:30 and was finished about 7. Still have to do all the final sanding on the top of the center section, attach and shape the Leading and trailing edges, do the last of the rough sanding on the bottom, then final sand. Once that is done, and oh yea, finish the inlet duct lips, we can glass the center section and start doing the priming/sanding and detail work, the parts I enjoy!

invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:16 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,068 Posts
way awesome build!

Everyone loves resin glass and sandpaper time
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:28 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
awesome ! is that an FW-190 in the background of oneof the pics.. ?
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
No, its JUST another p51
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:47 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,831 Posts
ok...

K
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
If you couldn't tell.. I HATE P-51's *flame suit on*
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
Alright guys,
A bit of an update on obtaining one of these in this size:

I spoke with Gary at wingsontheweb and he is willing to take assist with the enlarging of the plans and offer short kits for the outer wing panels

So, for anyone interested, send me a PM and I can give you the specifics!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,979 Posts
Erm...Perhaps it might be clever to wait and see.. IF the thing flies/well, first ?.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
The original 82" flies and flies well, the 130-150" versions overseas fly and fly well, so why wouldnt this one? Its the same as its 82" little cousin as nothing from the design has been changed.

Again, im jumping the broom a bit in this bc it is based on a proven design and so many people have been saying they want one.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
Even though I'm out of town, i'm still doing some work on this thing... CAD drawing for the instrument panel is done and its been sent to the 3D printer to get quoted.. Also working on a CAD drawing for a scale nose gear system. I'm not planning on putting much work into this until after the things are flying though.

Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
More CAD work.. I figure if the think flies well, we out to at least install some good looking landing gear. So here is a 100% scale Nose gear off of some 3-view drawings I found off the net. They appear to be bentley drawings,but I can't tell for sure. Next up, is the strut mount, and down lock brace parts. You will notice a little tiller bar at the top. With the size of our version of the 229, we are able to install a nose steering servo in front of the landing gear. As the gear goes up, the steering pull-pull lines will slacken, and then be pulled tight once the gear goes back down. With the advent of small linear actuators, I see no reason why the scale actuation method can't be used.

the big question is.. how much is this gonna cost. I simplified the machine work allot to where they can be done with basic lathe and mill work. The only very complicated part, is the Fork for the tire.

Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
Alrighty.. Cad work is 90% done on the nose gear. And according to the assembly, it all works exactly as it should! A few adjustments are needed to fit the width of the nose gear bay opening, but otherwise its done and ready to be cut.. Here's a picture of it in the Up and Down position..

Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:31 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,276 Posts
Nice work,hope it doesn't prove too expensive
I seem to recall reading somewhere that they "borrowed" the nose gear from another plane(Focke Wulf?)
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:34 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,203 Posts
Stuart,
You and me both! The nose gear wheel is actually the tail-wheel off of some huge bomber or something... I forget what it was at the moment. The main gear were also modified (90* axle C/L to strut C/L) BF-109 gear
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:27 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
409 Posts
Thomas

Nice CAD work.

It is a shame you didn't manage to get hold of Arthur Bentley's scale drawings.

You should try at the least to get hold of the book Horten Ho229 Spirit of Thuringia, The Horten all wing fighter by Andrei Shepelev and Huib Ottens.

This has detailed scale drawings of the various versions of the plane and some of Arthur's superb drawings.

The version that flew was the V2 and its nose leg was different from the almost completed V3. The V2 has a solid yoke which was replaced with the arrangement you have drawn for the V3. Also the V2 has a straight leg. You could make things very much easier for yourself if you used the V2 leg. The only downside to making it a V2 would be the UC door for the nose leg is fixed to the leg on the V2, giving pitch changes that would be difficult to handle. Incidentally the nose doors I found to be a pain to make and mount and easy to damage if you have a retract failure! They are shaped like 2 bananas! The hinge points, as you will have discovered, need to be located outboard with a substantial stand off.

Nice detailing on the pull up frame, which will need a cylinder to help pull it up.

The tyre you have drawn could have a larger hub, which will make sourcing a suitable stock wheel easier.

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright