HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
Our local club photographer sent some smaller samples of the Horton's previous flight... soooo here ya go's!

In this photo you have to look VERY hard for the Horton, as this is the last time it was seen in one piece:

The pile of pieces:
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:01 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
In this photo you have to look VERY hard for the Horton, as this is the last time it was seen in one piece:
That's not a view I ever want to see!

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude View Post
That's not a view I ever want to see!

Brian
Yea, on the back-side of that hill, there is a good 30-40 feet in elevation drop from the top of the hill.. i'm amazed it didn't do more damage to the center section than it did b/c the mass of the remains was a good 30 feet away from the initial impact point. If i could of seen it, i probably could of eliminated nearly all of the damage.

National Balsa said it will be a couple days before my wood is shipped. So much for getting my wings completed and ready for glass this weekend. But I may borrow my buddy Tom's sheeting to get these wings done..

TNT shipped my tube sockets yesterday, hopefully they arrive tomorrow or Saturday so I can get the wings aligned to the center section on Saturday.

I also have to start stripping the center section down to start repairing it as well. That should only take about 3 or 4 days though as long as my thoughts on how to do it work out..
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2007
234 Posts
@invertmast,

to build new wings...... that happened to me and Ralf also, during our test period with the Ho-229.

I started right away to build new ones, I could not wait to fly her again.

I think the only one without a fatal crash is the Ho-229 from John in Endland.

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Mar 14, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
Heiner,
You are right! This airplane is a joy to fly. The takeoff was un eventful and the handling is amazing considering it has no vertical tail. The design was truly revolutionary and WAY ahead of its time.

I knew if i didnt fix this one for this years flying season i would regret it, so i had to get back on board, afterall we have worked way to hard to have two flying models for this year to fall short of that goal when we are so close to the finish line!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2007
234 Posts
Keep on going!!

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:18 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
Day 6's progress..

Elevon and drag rudder servo mount plate is installed in both wing panels. The drag rudders are getting an upgraded linkage using ball-links instead of my music wire Z-bend setup in the previous wings. The previous setup had a good bit of slop in its linkages which made for some less than accurate drag rudder extension, the ball link setup should fix that problem and make it easier to maintain as well.

All servo extension conduits are installed.

inboard flap servo's and mounts installed

All hinge and control arm blocking has been cut down and sanded to the correct height and shape as the surrounding wing structure.

The trailing edge has been sanded down to follow the taper of the bottom of the wing ribs. Right now I am debating on adding a piece of 1/64" ply along the TE between the wing sheetings to help prevent hangar rash. I really prefer to, but at the same time, any additional weight behind the CG has a very significant effect.

For instance, it takes 1oz of weight 17" infront of the CG point to move the CG forward 1/2" forward. The very tip of the wings are about 17-19" aft of the CG, so one extra ounce there will require an ounce 17-19" infront of the CG.. and to add to that, the center section repairs will probably add 1 to 3oz of weight 25-30" aft of the CG. So i am apprehensive about adding more weight behind the CG..

The elevon hinge holes have been routed in the elevon hing blocks and the 7/32" brass tube hinge extension tubes have had their holes drilled in the wing side elevon hinge blocks. I also cut out the 1/64" ply wing tip core and the 1/2" balsa wingtip blanks. One of each of these balsa blanks was glued to one of the ply cores and weighted down to dry. tomorrow i'll sand the balsa blank to the same profile shape as the core and then glue the laminate to the other balsa blank.

Other than installing the wing tubes and shaping the LE of the ribs to the correct profile, the wing is now ready to be sheeted. Unfortunately, I am still waiting on my wing tube sockets and my wood order from National Balsa to arrive..

Tomorrow is family night, so the only thing I really plan to do is get the wing tip laminates completed. Saturday I will (hopefully) install the wing tubes if the sockets arrive, setup the new drag rudder linkage's and do the layups for the center section repairs.

Sunday I will probably be going over to Tom's to help him install his wing tubes, then depending on when I get back from that, I'll try and finish up the center section repairs.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:32 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,667 Posts
Man you are smokin!..nice work
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
I am motivated right now! I just hope the 2nd version flies as well as the first..
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:55 AM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Nov 2003
175 Posts
Needless to say keep it up again. Your building speed and motivation is incredible!
Balsastaub is offline Find More Posts by Balsastaub
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
This mornings progress before my wife drug me out of the shop to go do (of all things).... grocery shopping...

I removed the nose gear door and 2nd fan unit from the center section and then started fitting the wing tube sockets. About an hour or 2 later, I had the first wing tube socket epoxied at both ends.

And hour later, the other wing panel was done. I then went around and epoxied in place all of the socket doublers into place and installed the balsa blocks that connects the wing tube sockets to the lower wing sheeting.

I also pulled the center section mold out of storage and applied the mold release, which took all of 5 minutes.. (I LOVE Frekote!). Then I applied the primer in the area that is going to get a new layup to repair the Bat tail portion of the center section:

Later tonight I am going to do the layup and vacuum bag the new tail section. Tomorrow morning I will get up early and pull the bag off and join the two halves. Then Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon or early evening I can start frankenstein'ing the new Bat tail onto the center section.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:12 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
Last bit of progress for the night.

Wing tube socket installation is 99% complete. I still have 2 pairs of sheer webs to put between the tube sockets and the lower wing sheeting And the wing tube bolt hardpoints. Otherwise, all that is left to do to the wings is the drag rudder linkages and outer flap servo mounts. These tasks will be the secondary goals to complete tomorrow.

The new Bat tail was laid up as well. The primary goal tomorrow is to get the bat tail halves joined and start and complete the repairs to the center section. The majority of these repairs involve the gear doors. Luckily, templates are all made up, so it will be fairly quick and easy to replace the damage parts.

Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:00 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,906 Posts
Great work Invertmast!

Sorry to see it go in that way but it does prove that the design is sound...again great job! I wish I had your fabrication skills.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:12 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
Thanks kevin!

The center section has proven to be a tank of a layup, but not as heavy as a tank. Lol. I am currently looking for some thinner soric core material, if i can find some, i am pretty sure we can shave a pound or two off of the center sections weight.

I was really impressed with the flying qualities of the Horton. It didnt display any instabilities and flew as well if not better than the average sport model.

There was some adverse yaw in turns to the left, but i am pretty sure that was bc my right drag rudder wasnt completely flush with the upper wing skin. I am really excited to get it back up in the air to fine tune the CG position and start to work in eliminating the thrust tubes.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,425 Posts
I decided to be lazy today and sleep in, so i didnt get as much done as i had hoped.

The mold halves were closed up and awaiting the trailing edge goop to cure.

The damaged main gear tire door was repaired. The halves were glued together with ca, then a piece of glass was attached to the inside and outside to join them back together.

The inner main gear door structure was damaged as well.. Again. So this time the 1/8" liteply piece was replaced with 1/8" aircraft ply that was laminated with carbon fibre on both sides (it wont break again!). Then it was installed and the inner doors rehinged and installed.

The drag rudder servos were mounted and the linkages made up.

The outboard flap servo mounts were also installed. I never liked having these servos exposed on the last wings, so this time they will lay on their sides like the inboard flap and elevon servos.

The flitemetal was also removed from the exhaust path on the damaged side of the bat tail. Once the new layup halves cure, i can start the transplant.

The hardpoints for the wing tube holder bolts were also installed. The wings are now completely ready to be sheeted!

Im done for the evening, but tomorrow i am going to cut the square brass hinge tube hinge extensions to length, repair one of the wing harness' and install the plastic straws for the nav light wires. Ill probably remove the new bat tail from the mold as well.