HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:59 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,844 Posts
Way to go!

Few people (now days) realize what an accomplishment it is to first scratch build a plane like this and then have the stones to fly it.

In spite of the damage I would call this a successful maiden. Congrats!
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:25 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
John,
The rush and sense of accomplishment seeing it in the sky and the outline was a very cool sight to see. We were both extremely happy to see it in the sky. Once she is repaired and the necessary upgrades are done, im sure we will have an amazing piece of machinedy to troll the skies with.

What i cant wait to see now, is a pair of these overhead in formation!
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:01 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
397 Posts
Thomas

Just one thing, you still need the nose leg a shade longer if you have space. It would make the takeoff much easier.

John
John Wright is online now Find More Posts by John Wright
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
John,
We have about 9" of space to add length to a nose gear, so space is not an issue.

We are going to upgrade the nose unit to one for a 25lb airplane as this unit was only designed to work with a 12lb plane and it currently has about 18lbs of mass it is supporting.

What do you think, another 2" of nose leg length?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:32 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,860 Posts
my t-38 shared the same fate. esc blew up in flight, caused a forced landing that led to some repair lol. almost done now though. mine is the second t38 in this video. the first one is falcon 5's. his went in, we believe from a bad solder joint that broke at the worst possible time...

Las Vegas Ace In The Hole T-38's (11 min 39 sec)

ps, my t38 had 20 lbs of thrust for a 43 lbs model lol. im going with turbax fans, should have 34lbs of thrust now...
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:59 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
397 Posts
Thomas

You want an angle of 6 degrees or so of up angle. This seems a lot but it makes a world of difference in the takeoff. You need to draw the centreline of the airfoil at the wing root centre section between the rear trailing edge and the centre of the nose leading edge. Use an inclinometer to adjust the nose leg to get 6 degrees. The other way of looking at it is to look at the extension tubes and make sure they are angled down slightly at the back when on the wheels. (The thrust line is about 4 degrees up.)

This also removes some of the load on the nose leg and will make it less likely to be damaged.

When I was using the adjustable nose leg we made a rather rough landing on the shortened leg which was about neutral in angle of attack. This was too much for the poor pin and the 10mm hardened steel pin gave way. I can well understand why you have had nose leg problems!

I used Behotec C50 retracts which seem about right for the model. They still bend the trunnion pin from time to time though.

John
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
John,
Thanks for the tip! The nose leg has been our biggest headach as it takes allot of punishment! I'll be sure to adjust the angle when we bring it back into the shop to do the upgrades to it. But first, i have to finish the engine retrofit to my fw190 that i sold, so the new owner can get it in time to practice for top gun.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
my t-38 shared the same fate. esc blew up in flight, caused a forced landing that led to some repair lol. almost done now though. mine is the second t38 in this video. the first one is falcon 5's. his went in, we believe from a bad solder joint that broke at the worst possible time...

http://youtu.be/pdHCGUxS9mA

ps, my t38 had 20 lbs of thrust for a 43 lbs model lol. im going with turbax fans, should have 34lbs of thrust now...
It was sickening seeing both planes go down, but im glad to hear yours is nearly repaired. It is one impressive airframe!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:16 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
1,934 Posts

ill agree, needs more cowbell!
D_FAST is online now Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:27 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,203 Posts
Invertmast,

You guys SCRATCH building these monster planes is just astonishing. Thanks for the thrill of the vid. My heart was in my mouth seeing her going down. Just glad it was light damage considering. Hope to see more after repairs. Yeah man, BIG COJONES for a Da Plane, Da Plane!!!

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:29 AM
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Plaisance
Joined Aug 2005
233 Posts
Congratulations Thomas for your masterpiece and great flying skills.

Un lavoro meraviglioso (An amazing work...).

The thrust line/angle of incidence of EDF or turbines in flying wings is a very complex matter...

In the images you can see the ARADO 555 that I'm building.
I will use four 50 mm. EDF with a very big (6.000 Mah. ) 4 cells li-po battery.

At this moment I don't know if could be good or not to add some incidence at the EDFs.

Maybe John can help me........your big Arado 555 flyes very well but looking at the videos I can't see any incidence/angle in the tutbines.

Ciao!

ettore
quenda is online now Find More Posts by quenda
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:27 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
397 Posts
Ettore

I do not want to take over Thomas's thread but yes I have 4 degrees angle up at the back of the turbines on the Arado.

John
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:51 AM
United States, VA, Timberville
Joined Oct 2012
44 Posts
You can never have enough cowbell.
thtaco is offline Find More Posts by thtaco
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
So we need to sell two of these things to fund some upgraded power systems...

Who wants one? seriously.. who wants one!? lol
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Jun 2007
228 Posts
Thomas!

Congratulations!!! Another Horten - IX is born!

Yes, it seams to be very nose heavy.
When a Ho-IX is airborne, just a little power is needed to have a horizontal flight and the flaps (elevator) are in line with the wing when going at 55 - 60 mph, I would say.
I completely agree what John said in detail about the right length of the front wheel leg and the angle of attack for take off, including the thrust angle of the extension tubes.

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner