HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:00 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,300 Posts
Just had a thought about this.It's unusual for a steel bolt to shear like this,unless it's been over hardened.I'd try a test drill on the broken piece with a normal drill,set up in the drill press with the guide tube.If it drills ok go ahead;if the drill won't work you've got real problems.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:02 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,237 Posts
I stocked up on drill bits so i should be able to drill it out... Hopefully
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,237 Posts
I got the wing tube out of the center section and fixed the goof up from that:

Then between yesterday and today... The fan units were installed, Extensions routed, steering servo mount plate mounted, steering pull pull installed, Rx mounted, Air fill valve and pressure gauge installed and all the air lines plumbed, routed and pressure checked. Thrust tube extensions made, Parallel battery adapters made. Essentially the entire airplane is READY TO FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pictures:

So... tomorrow we plan to do the maiden

BUT

We did a taxi test trial tonight after getting everything finished. Acceleration on 6S is pretty good considering the weight. But my front yard is a bit bumpy and the Nose gear strut mount pin sheared off during the trials. After looking at the material in the break, its pretty obvious this material is pretty cheap junk. So my buddy Tom is modifying some Grade 8 bolts to replace the shear pin since we don't want it to shear off again. He has one done, so tomorrow morning we will repair the nose gear and one of the door's (the door servo arm broke).

Then, we are going to pack up the airplane to go FLY IT!!!! We will have two or three video camera's at the field, one of which is HD so we should have a good bit of video from different view angle's..

Hopefully all go's well, b/c if it doesn't, i'm not screwing with another one of these this year. lol
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:00 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,346 Posts
Best of luck to you guys!!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:16 PM
UAS Engineer
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
Yes! Get the bugs sorted out and then throw it in the air man! Don't forget to have lots of cameras watching the cra-...first flight
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:28 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,226 Posts
i think it will be fine on 6s, its such a clean model, with so much wing area. looking forward to a good maiden report!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:37 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,520 Posts
Best of luck tomorrow Invert and thtaco. Its been an inspiration to watch this project take shape!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:46 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,413 Posts
No luck needed guys..you will Do it!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:40 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
well, did the maiden happen, or not? we're all waiting impatiently to see some footage. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:59 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,300 Posts
Can I uncross my fingers now?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,237 Posts
Its only 10:30, and we still have to fix the nose gear, which should only take half an hour. Tom is on his way with the replacement parts as well.

Aannddd, we cant fly until noon thirty on sundays at our club field
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,237 Posts
Welllllllll.............................

Good news and sorta Bad news.

.................................................. ..........................................
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:44 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,687 Posts
Please do tell!!!!
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:47 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,966 Posts
Good news - it flew Bad news - You caught a horrible case of diarrhea while being outside?

Please tell us!

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,237 Posts
Ok, i'll start with the good news.

- The nose gear is sorta fixed (well enough for now, but needs beefing up).. After the 2nd fix today
- The CG is a bit Nose heavy
- It flew on 6S
- IT FLEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad news:

- It flies on 6s lol
- The first flight was cut very short due to an ESC catching fire in flight and losing power
- All of the gear doors need repaired now
- Lots of sooty stinky mess to clean and repair now
- Jet Fan 90's on 12s are now a requirement..

SO here is how the day went:

We got out to the field and attempted to fly it the first time at 12:30.. the nose gear repair failed, so back home we wont to fix it again..

By 2pm, we were back at the field with a beefier strut and shear pin setup, which worked out much better.
Batteries were installed and after a LONG takeoff run (700-800'), i was left with either Getting it in the air (it had just enough speed) or over-running the end of the runway and risking damage, so turning on the outer flaps to use as elevators the plane was off the ground and flying!

initial climb-out was very slow... so slow I had to drop the flaps to a takeoff position (about 10* of deflection). This had the Horton flying much better and able to climb to about 200-300' height. When i got some altitude and speed i pulled the flaps up and it started losing altitude quickly, so they were re-deployed and flown in this setting.

Power was marginal, VERY marginal.. It required full power 100% of the time to maintain level flight and got up to about 40-50mph at most.. It was very nose heavy and control response was very nice. It flew GREAT, other than being slow.

After 1 1/2 laps around the field, I noticed it seemed to be loosing power but wasn't 100% sure or not. After 2 maybe 3 laps and directly mid field on the up-wind leg, all power was lost. The worst possible place. I attempted to do a 180* turn onto the downwind since straight ahead would of taken it directly into a tree-line and a fence. Half way through the turn it was obvious I wasn't going to make it, so Full flaps was deployed and the plane leveled off before it ran into the rising terrain. Once it disappeared behind the hill, i just let it go as i knew it HIT the fence/tree-line it was headed towards, and feared the lipo's would of be compromised and a fire started..

After getting to the model, I was pleasantly relieved to see it was about 10 feet from the tree/fence line, but it was SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pulled the top hatch off after checking to ensure it wasn't hot and immediately saw flames coming from the left hand EDF unit motor and ESC. The lipo's were pulled out immediately and the fire stopped on its own.

Over-all, damage was very light over the outer wing panels (shipped paint on the TE mostly) and the center section appears to have come out unharmed other than gear doors being torn off and melted plastic/rubber around the fan unit.

So...The Horton flies and flies well, granted I wasn't able to do as much as i'd like due to the short flight (less than 5 minutes). We had the plane balanced approx 1/2" forward of the CG point recommended on the 82" wingspan version and increased 150% for our size (IE 19" aft of the wing LE at the centerline).

It was noticeably nose heavy as it required full up elevator trim to fly level and no aileron trim.

The plan as of now is:

1- Start working on the 2nd center section so we can get Tom's built.
2- Purchase a pair of jetFan 90's, HET motors and some ESC's (suggestions anyone?) to install into the prototype
3- Remove 6oz of lead from the nose of the prototype, repair it and fly it again!

Photo's:

My favorite picture of the group:

In these photo's you can see how close it was to hitting that fence/tree-line

Inside photo' of the left EDF units.. We were very lucky the entire plane didn't go up in flames as the fire was nearly directly under the lipo's:

And a video. You'll have to forgive Tom as i just threw the video camera into his hands about 1 minute before the flight. There is enough footage to show it flying though...

1/5.3 Horton 229 maiden (1 min 51 sec)