Joined Feb 2008
6,513 Posts
Looks A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
First up, I just want to say Thanks to everyone who has commented. This has been a pretty fast build and we aren't done yet!

For those who may be interested in obtaining one, please send me a PM as we are debating how many of these to offer up for grabs. Initial thoughts by us, is it will be a limited number (probably less than 12), but depending on the interest from the PM's, depends on if that number will change..

Last bit of work for tonight. I applied a 2" piece of glass tape from the rear wing tube, along the LE and then back to the rear wing tube. This will create a bond between the top and bottom half that will keep them from separating in flight. I also epoxied in the nose gear mount structure, and made up and installed the nose gear mount plate stiffener (the piece laying flat). This stiffener also boxes in the bottom skin in with the nose gear structure and acts as a shelf for the Receiver and Receiver battery.

Templates have been made for everything, so all future builds will go much more quickly. The only real building left, is the EDF, Steering servo and battery mounts. The EDF unit mounts are first up as it is a bit cramped up in the nose section. We may end up needing to push the fans aft 1 or 2" to make installation easier.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:40 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,552 Posts
A sweet holiday present indeed! You guys should be really proud of your accomplisment!! I want on that list!!!
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Mar 2009
413 Posts
Tom,

What is your built-in thrust line vs. fuselage centerline datum?

What is the mean datum line of each wing midpoint, measured individually?

Are you familiar with Christ Gold's B2? It utilizes a thrust loaded angle of attack.
FliteMetal is offline Find More Posts by FliteMetal
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FliteMetal View Post
Tom,

What is your built-in thrust line vs. fuselage centerline datum?

What is the mean datum line of each wing midpoint, measured individually?

Are you familiar with Christ Gold's B2? It utilizes a thrust loaded angle of attack.
Thrust line is the same as the original model, which is about 3.5* negative i believe.

Not sure what you mean by the mean datum line at the wing midpoint. Which wing portion.. Center or outer? The outer wing panels construction datum line is pretty far below the wing at its tip (about 6") but since the wings are but with the ribs tilted outwards, its a bit easier to build as the rib standoffs arent as long.

Gary at wings on the web could probably answer the technical questions as far as the desing better than i can since he is the original designer, i just blew up his plans and went from there.

Ive seen the B2, but not familiar with it.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
A lil bit of progress so far today.

For the inlets on this thing, we are doing things a bit different.

Instead of doing an inlet ducting, we are using wemotec midi fan inlet rings that are cut down so they fit tightly in the inlet holes. These will get roughed up and hysol'd in place. Doing it this method, you get a nice smooth radius to the fans, and easy access for mx and inspection of the rotors. The downside, is the potential for FOD damage. Now, does anyone have a wemotec midifsn inlet ring laying around they would part with? I need one ASAP, so we can taxi this thing this weekend possibly.

Inlet ring cut down and mocked into place:

And one of the fan mocked into place:

Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:10 AM
Joined Jun 2007
231 Posts
GREAT JOB!

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Well after the Presents were open, the family had left and the little one and wife had gone down for their Naps, I snuck out to the shop and got some work done!

First up was rough cutting out the upper main gear door strut doors. Then I took the separately molded upper gear doors and trimmed them down to their panel line outlines. The hinged end was shortened .25" to move the hinge line inboard so as not to cut into the main LG mount structure. Then the molded door was placed into position using the panel lines molded into the bottom of the center section and its outline traced. Then the final sanding was done to just short of the outline.

Then the separately molded door was test fit. The final sanding of the outline was done at a slight angle so the upper strut door sits just barely proud of the lower skin (about 1/100") and doesn't fall into the center section:

Then the other side was done the same way:

Then using a straight edge and a Zona saw, the inner main gear doors were cut free from the bottom of the center section. Originally, we planned to offer these as a separately molded item, but they are easy enough to cut free from the bottom skin, it just takes some time and patience. To hinge these will be interesting. I have a few idea's though, more on that later, and if it works, i'll make templates for everyone
\

Then using the same Zona saw, but with a narrow pointed saw blade, the lower strut/wheel gear door was cut out. The narrow pointed saw blade allows you to cut curve's.

Then the landing gear was installed. The main gear are Spring Air Series 700, the struts are 3/8" Extra long robo-struts. tires are 4" ESM's. This is all stuff my buddy Tom has laying around and should work well for the test flying.

Then I stuck it on its gear to checkout its AoA and stuff:

Then I took the 105* Robart spring nose firewall mount nose gear and mounted to its plate. Then i just mocked up the 6" nose wheel. The nose strut will be another 1 1/2" long than what you see so the tire will clear the forward carry-through spar. I was also able to figure out the battery mount and nose wheel servo steering mounts..
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
330 Posts
cant wait to see the maiden
minimicrorc is online now Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
man, you work fast. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
It was only about 3 hours of work to cut out the doors and mount the gear.

The kicker is that all of the gear are only held in place by a pair of #2 servo screws. I have to pull everything out and install blind nuts next. I also have to cut some aluminum channel for the lipo mount
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it would take me that long just to get motivated. hahahahaha.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
USA, SC, Greenville
Joined Sep 2005
915 Posts
I can only think of one word

AWESOME

Travis
edf nut is offline Find More Posts by edf nut