HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Jun 2009
395 Posts
Very nice !
Did you cut the spars manually or by CNC ?
flylowfast is online now Find More Posts by flylowfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
If by spars you mean ribs, they are sll hand cut
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
104 Posts
Looking Good! I wish you success in your project. I'm sure it will fly well, however you will most likely still need some length of exhaust extension. The guys in Germany who built their 120" span versions did, unfortunately, find out the hard way that they could not fly without them. They saved Gary H. and myself the grief by warning us. This will still be a very cool model to see take shape and to fly.
Mark
Horten Freak is offline Find More Posts by Horten Freak
Last edited by Horten Freak; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Well, both wings halves are sheeted on the top side and glassed around the upper drag rudder opening. That area will have 2 layers of glass so the opening edges stay nice and crisp.

I also decided the carbon and 1/8" ply was a bit overkill and heavy for drag rudder pieces. So, i made a lamination of glass/carbon/3mm airex/carbon/glass. This 12"x24" panel is 1/3 the weight of the ply and carbon piece and stronger. So the blanks for the drag rudders were cut from this. So drag rudder construction will be next.

I also removed one of the wing panels from the building table. It was only 14oz in weight. Not bad for a 52"x36" wing panel. Once they are completely sheeted, sheer webbed and the drag rudders install, i expect each wing panel to be right around 1 1/2 pounds. The goal for the airframe weight is 5lbs, so we are on track to meet that or come very close.

I also made up all the drag rudder parts for both airplanes. All of these parts (38 total) only weight in at 4oz! Thats 1oz per drag rudder assembly per wing panel per plane. Not to shabby, and the parts are SUPER strong.

I've also been working on my little speed 400 speed demon as well. The wing is in the vacuum bag getting its paint job and carbon outer skin glue to the wing cores, and the fuse paint is drying. Here's a shot of the fuse, and the carbon-ized horizontal stab (this is essentially what the wing will look like)

Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horten Freak View Post
Looking Good! I wish you success in your project. I'm sure it will fly well, however you will most likely still need some length of exhaust extension. The guys in Germany who built their 120" span versions did, unfortunately, find out the hard way that they could not fly without them. This will still be a very cool model to see take shape and to fly.
Mark

Mark,
Thanks for the compliments. We have full intentions on flying them originally with the extensions on and trimmed an inch or 2 off at a time. We are thinking that the enlarged size, higher blade count of the fan, longer shroud and stators will have a good effect on the stability of the 229 w/o the tubes. I believe I also saw somewhere that the inlets are not completely to scale (slightly over-sized) to give a 100% FSA inlet ratio for the 70mm EDF's on the original sized version.

Since we enlarged ours 150%, that gives us a 105mm fan, since we are only using a 90mm Fan we have well over 100% FSA on the inlet, so we can reduce the inlet size to the proper scale diameter, which should help with the stability issue as well..

We hope!

Thomas
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Made up the drag rudders for one of the wings, also started the install of the upper drag rudder in one of the wing panels.. more on this later, as I was busy finishing my little pylon racer the past 2 days.

Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
There is no such thing as too many projects... Just not enough time!

I would be interested in the center section...

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Wow! awesome Subscribed ..

K
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:55 PM
UAS Engineer
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
cool!
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Bit more work while i'm at home sick with something my wife and son gave me... lol

Got the drag rudders constructed:

Then started the install of them into the wing.. I have to say, if this was the original sized one, i'd be cursing a storm! These things are pretty complex even at this scale and I can't imagine putting them in a smaller wing.

I plan to have these directly attached (no slip joint style pushrods) to the drag rudders and then program the radio so that they only move in one direction. IE, when left rudder is commanded, the left drag rudders pop out and vice versa.

Since the mockup worked well and proved my theory on actuating them will work, I glue the sheeting jigs down on the table so I could begin prepping the bottom of the wing for sheeting.

Then I remembered i need the wing tubes and sockets in order to sheet the bottom of the wing. I ordered these things a week ago and still hadn't received them. An hour after calling the vendor, they ended up on my door (apparently the post office was waiting for someone with a big enough vehicle to deliver them, haha).
So, now that I had wing tubes and sockets (and engine stand-offs for another project), I needed to enlarge the 1.5" diameter holes in the wing ribs for the wing tubes so that the sockets could fit. So to do this, two layers of 80 grit greatplanes sticky back sandpaper was wrapped around the end of one of the aluminum tubes:

Then the fancy shmancy gritty sandpaper tube tool (patent pending!) was used to enlarge the 1.5" holes to fit the sockets:

Then I cut a 18" (rear spar) and 12" (fore spar) section of wing tube from the 60" long wing tube and test fit them into the wing sockets:

Then some 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" ply squares with a hole in the middle for the wing socket (these are doublers for the balsa wing ribs) were made up and modified to fit in the wing. Then about an hour of checking, fitting, adjusting, checking, etc etc etc I got the tube sockets aligned and ready to be installed so they were epoxied in place. I also used some brown packing paper to make up the servo extension conduits. Each plane will have over 20 FEET of servo wiring in them!

I then installed the sheer webbing on the front of the front spar. I will probably sheer-web the rear spar as well, maybe...

Other than finishing the drag rudder install and some sheer webbing between the wing tube sockets and bottom wing sheeting, this wing is ready for sheeting!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Still sick... But laying on the couch or web resting makes me feel worse, so out in the shop we go!

First up was getting that crazy contraption they call drag rudders finished.. Thankfully, this side is done, but I have to do it all over again.. JOY.. ughh

Then after a few hours (like 3 or 4) I got all the hinge and control arm hard points installed.. There are allot in this wing and took forever! In this photo, you'll notice the hinge blocks for the elevons are pre-slotted for the hinges. This should make life a little easier come time to hinge this thing. The blocks in the wing were also pre-drilled.

Then I made up the Robart hinge point extensions. These are 5/32" square brass tubing pieces. The robart hinge points will be hysol'd in these and then these hysol'd into the wing panel. I used this same technique on my FW-190 and it worked well, so instead of cutting out all of the custom hinge's that are on the plans, I decided to do it this way.. much easier!

Then the wing was ready for sheeting, or so i thought.. I still have a few hinge hard points for the outer flap to install (i'm beginning to hate hinges..)

Since the elevon was ready for sheeting, it was sheeted:

And then the rest of the wing sheeting pieces for this wing panel was made up. The central section of sheeting was a bit difficult due to having to put the cutout for the lower drag rudder in exactly the right place.

And a short little video showing that the drag rudders actually work. The top drag rudder (the one on the bottom) wasn't hooked up b/c it can't open completely due to the table being in the way:

Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:34 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,212 Posts
Beautiful work Thomas,your build logs are great.
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,118 Posts
Left wing panel is completely sheeted! Now to bring the right wing panel up to the same specs:

Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:44 AM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Awesome Job invertmast Can't Wait to see how you tackle the center section
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004