SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Canopy frame mold is layed up. Gotta do the main gear doors and the vacuum form plug and tooling will be done. Those items will be done tomorrow:

invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:43 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,738 Posts
this is by far one of the coolest edf projects EVER! i LOVE the 229!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:41 AM
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Nov 2003
175 Posts
Incredible project and supersonic speed of construction!

But the dog was replaced between page one and now? ;-)
Balsastaub is offline Find More Posts by Balsastaub
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsastaub View Post
Incredible project and supersonic speed of construction!

But the dog was replaced between page one and now? ;-)
Thanks! We have two dogs, which ever one gets photographed depends on who gets to the reclining chair first. Lol
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, WI, Mukwonago
Joined Nov 2011
55 Posts
You guys are unbeleivable! I'm trying to learn how to make fiberglass intakes on my 42" F9F-8 Cougar and its a struggle but I am learning. Your project looks great I will be keeping my eye your build. I've learned alot thanks!

Denny
dfsmith is offline Find More Posts by dfsmith
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
this is by far one of the coolest edf projects EVER! i LOVE the 229!
and you know it's cool when the EDF master has spoken these words.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Busy day.. and its still done over yet:

Got up early this morning, fired up the heater in the shop to knock off the chill and sprayed the PVA over the main gear door area's. Then I popped the canopy frame mold off the plug, trimmed it, washed it, re-waxed it and then sprayed the PVA on it..
Then I took a few hours to bring in some firewood for this upcoming week and washed all the wax and PVA off the center section molds. I then took the Frekote PMC cleaner and cleaned the molds. They are ready for the mold sealer and mold release. I'll probably do that next week sometime. I also need to pickup some primer so I can prime the molds as well:

By the time all that was done, I mixed up some surface resin and put that in the clear canopy area of the canopy mold and over the main gear doors:

Same picture from a different angle showing the cleaned molds in the background and the Eurosport, which I had to pull the turbine out of for Maintenance. I also had to repair a JR servo as well during this entire process. lol

Couple hours later, the Main gear door mold is done. This mold is thicker than the rest of them since its very flat and doesn't have any curves or angles to add much strength.

The vacuum form plug was also done. All the green stuff is an epoxy tooling dough. This stuff is awesome to work with and doesn't build allot of heat when it is globbed in large quantities in a small area.

I then cut all the slots in the elevons and flaps for the control horns:

Then made up this nifty little jig to ensure both elevon control horns are aft of the LE and at the same measurement below the hinge line. Essentially, you just tape it to the bottom of the elevon w/ the ledge against the LE, then stick a drill bit in the hole of the jig and the hole control arm. Leave the epoxy holding the control arm in place to cure, then remove and do the other:

Then I epoxied in the control arms in one of the Elevon's, and then all of the flaps:

Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Well... Since both Elevon control arms were epoxied into place, there was no reason not to go ahead and hinge the elevons and flaps...Sooooo, thats what I did.. I still have the inner most flap to do on the right wing panel. Now to get that flap hinged and all the elevon and flap servo mounts built, servo's installed, linkages setup, winter camo done, extensions made up.... yea, still allot to do!

Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:43 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,508 Posts
You're a MACHINE dude!!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:08 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,599 Posts
Man you do work fast!.....
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Man you do work fast!.....
this is the easy part, b/c i already have everything figured out how its going to go from when I did the frame up.. I hate doing servo mounts though... more so than fiberglassing a wooden structure..
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:59 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
420 Posts
Thomas

I use servo frames like these

http://www.servorahmen.de/index.php?...ash=6834be2c61

http://www.servoframes.com/list.html

They are light and well made and very simple to install either on the cover or the wing skin suitably reinforced.

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
John,
Thanka for the links, i have been wondering where to find those frames for most of the servos i use.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
Hinged the last flap:

Then pulled the canopy vac. form out of the canopy frame mold. then I trimmed it, forgot to get a picture of that though:

Then popped the gear door mold off the center section:

Then trimmed it and washed off the PVA/wax. Then waxed it and the canopy frame mold, then sprayed the PVA on them:

Then while that dried, I made up the templates for the center section tip ribs (these are a special high-strength foam that will be laminated with the molded section) and for the Main landing gear Upper strut door:

Then I sprayed the silver paint in the canopy and main landing gear door molds (these are metal parts on the real one, so they are painted in the mold to replicate aluminum parts). I'll probably flite-metal these parts on my model:

Then while the paint dried, I made up 3 sets of center section foam parts. I still need to cut out the wing tube holes and split them lengthwise along the same plane as the parting planes:

And then I layed up a canopy frame and some main landing gear doors. First parts get popped out of the molds tomorrow.. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! only 3 months since the start
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:59 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,712 Posts
Thomas,

Your work continues to impress! BTW, I really like the control horn jig pictured back in post # 262. Very cool idea!

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude