HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Not a whole lot has been done... except..

That Stupid P-51 is flite-metal'd and DONE...

Center section bottom portion on the HO-229 has had some filler applied and is ready to be sanded..
The outer wing panels are 100% complete, minus servo mount's and servo hatch mounts. All of the top portions of the flaps, elevons and outer wing panels have there first coat of primer as well!

And a few of the lil mustang (yes I know the exhaust stacks are to low, the front chin scoop is shaped wrong, the canopy is wrong, it doesn't have the correct size/shape ventral fin, the wing fillets are wrong, the gun ports are wrong... Yes I know ALLOT of it is wrong. I didn't build it, i just had to flite-metal it and did the best I could with what I was given..)

invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Ohhh yea... Less than 2 months from Tree to paint
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:33 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I think it looks like the perfect Reno racer...............a slightly modded P-51. all she needs is some numbers and a little splash of paint somewhere. I think it's cool and could be scale. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I think it looks like the perfect Reno racer...............a slightly modded P-51. all she needs is some numbers and a little splash of paint somewhere. I think it's cool and could be scale. LOL.
Yea, that is true.. But the guy who this is being built from expects it to represent a particular P-51 that ( I believe his father flew) in WW2... It needs some blue paint thrown on it, but that's not my job

And speaking of Reno racer's, i think my next project is going to be the 2009-2012 Rare Bear scheme bearcat
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:48 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
beautiful. can't wait to see that one.

what model is that P-51, since it's so "off"?
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Dave platt i think... but don't let that tell you anything. The guy who built it I don't think looked at a single picture of a P-51 to see what was wrong or not.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:42 PM
right between the batteries
Farmington UT
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
+1 from me! looks better than scale IMHO
Justo23 is offline Find More Posts by Justo23
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Got some more done....

Sanded the outer wing panels, then put another coat of primer on them. I also sanded the first coat of primer on the bottom of the center section. Then flipped it, sanded the top of the center section. The center section is Nearly ready for panel lines. One thing I have started doing lately for plugs and area's that are going to be molded for vacuum form fixtures, is spraying the surfaces with a metallic silver paint. This greatly helps you find any area's that still need some filling and sanding..

Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:23 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,477 Posts
Lookin really good!
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:08 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
looks amazing.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
All dressed up in silver, it looks like something out of a bad 60's sci-fi movie

Nice work!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Man is my arm sore! A whole lotta sanding today. Top of the outer wing panels, flaps and elevons are ready for panel lines and hatch's.

Then I flipped them all over and put the first coat of primer on the bottom:

Then I got started on sanding the top of the center section:

At first:

Then after some filling and sanding, then more filling and sanding. And of course, about 5 hours later i'd find a spot that needed a little bit of filler (and it had to be in the canopy area!)

Then I started laying out the position of the panel lines on the top:

Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:19 AM
right between the batteries
Farmington UT
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
So much attention to detail, awe inspiring!
Justo23 is offline Find More Posts by Justo23
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
Top side panel line positions are all drawn on. Now to flip it over and do the bottom... tomorrow.

Also noticed during the panel line placement, that a few bulges were missing from the top of the center section. Since its a plug, may as well go ahead put these into position so they are always there. Using the 3-views on the plans, I made the bulges into triangle's to get the rough dimensions of it. Then just eyeballed the curved shape of the actual shape of the bulges onto the paper template. Then cut these bulges out of 1/2" thick balsa:

Then I stuck a piece of 80 grit sticky back paper in position and started sanding down the 1/2" blanks to conform to the shape of where they go:

Then all six bulges where rough sanded to fit into there positions. I'll sand them to there final shape tomorrow, then glass them, prime, sand, prime, sand, etc etc. once they are nice and smooth, i'll glue them to the center section and use some body filler to flare them into the rest of the center section:

Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,284 Posts
More progress... It seems all this little stuff takes forever to get what appears to be little progress:

Last night I glassed the bumps/bulges, then primed them today. The smaller bulges where glassed with 2 pieces of 3/4oz glass, while the larger ones were glassed in 1 layer of 2oz. The primer is a high-build Filler primer out of a rattle can. Instead of fully pressing the nozzle, I Just barely press it so the paint kind of spits and splatters out. This helps to get a really thick coat of blob'd paint out to fill the glass weave a bit.

Then while waiting for the primer to dry, I flipped the center and put on all the panel lines. The bottom (at this point) is now to the same stage as the top of the center section. Nose wheel tire wheel be 6" in diameter and the mains will be around 4 1/2 to 4 3/4". The Gear door outline is 5 1/8". The center-line of the position of the strut also allows for about 1" of depth for the retract mechanism, so the retracts will have to be a low profile version.

In the previous photo, you can also see the blue vinyl painters tape around the engine inlet bulges on the bottom. Since basically every curved surface around the turbines on the full-scale was metal, These were Most likely made to sit directly on top of the plywood center section skin. Since its a plug and you only have to do it once, you may as well do it right the first time. so, 2 layers of the vinyl painters tape was used to build up a ledge. This ledge thin had body filler placed beside it. Once it dries, its sanded smooth and then the tape is removed. You are left with a nice raised panel line edge.
The same technique is used for access hatch's as well. The nice thing about the tape, is you can vary the thickness of the panel edge by adding or subtracting tape layers.

Tomorrow I get to install all the bulges on the top, then do the raised panel edges on the top of the engine fairings and a few access panels as well. If I'm able to get all that done by a decent hour, i'll also put down all the panel line tape so I can spray more primer on Friday. Hopefully all the painting will be done by Saturday afternoon, that way we can start building parting planes on Saturday/Sunday! Then this thing will get molded the week after Thanksgiving. Then while it sits for a week to fully cure, i'll finish my outer wing panels (including paint), then I can completely concentrate on getting a few center sections molded up..