SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Heiner,
Interesting flight, im assuming all if the yaw instability was caused by the nose gear moving?

I remember seeing a video of a fairly large EDF horten without extensions taking off and getting about 50-100' off the ground before entering a spin to the right (im assuming due to the lack of extensions).

Have you guys seen that video? If so, do you have a link? I could of sworn i saves it when i saw it, but it has been mia
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined Jun 2007
231 Posts
Yes the instability came from the front wheel. With all wheels in, she is doing fine, because it's my Ho-IX

The other Ho-IX what went in after 100 feet is from my friend Ralf. I made that short video a few years ago, I will check if I saved at my computer.

Ralfs Ho-IX went in, because the was tail heavy and no tube extensions.

Heiner
heiner is offline Find More Posts by heiner
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Heiner,
Good to hear they are doing well, hopefully the CG on ours works ours works out to be at the same position as the smaller 82" version
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Jun 2007
231 Posts
Horten 229V3 crash (0 min 24 sec)

here we go!

Tail heavy and no tube extension!

Ralf fixed the Ho-229 after that crash, she is also doing fine now. He made up to 50 flights or more.

Heiner
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
That is the one! It didnt look like it took allot of damage in the video, but im sure it was more involved than it appeared.

Watching that video, really looks ver similar to multi engine airplanes that have the right engine inop and when they get to slow, they yaw and the flip inverted due to the assymetric thrust and drag. I bet since the edfs rotate the same direction, once the airspeed gets to slow it causes a large induced drag difference between the left and right, which is what causes the instability.
I say all that, bc ralfs appeared to be stable in yaw until the nose was pitched up for a steeper climb, then after a few seconds, the instability reared its head.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Jun 2007
231 Posts
We studied that video picture by picture, the instability starts when he tried to go in a left turn! By lifting the left aileron the Ho-229 moved to the right and flipped over.

Heiner
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Aaahhhh ok,
That is one thing i couldnt tell from the video. So the turn caused the stability, interesting, as that just made it more complicated!
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Jun 2007
231 Posts
To make a turn possible, you have to program a lot of differential. If you try it symmetrical, aileron movement up = down, then the Ho-229 is not turning she keeps on going straight.

Heiner
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:21 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,603 Posts
Heiner did his Ho use the frieze ailerons?
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:32 PM
Designing something...
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined Jan 2004
1,716 Posts
That's a very good question! The twist would also make a difference. I've generally used a BSLD (sin cube) on my Hortens and they turn well with just plain elevons and no differential.

Disclaimer--your results may vary.

Brian
cpdude is offline Find More Posts by cpdude
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2007
231 Posts
@ turbonut,

no just plain ailerons not frieze type. If you just have 2 ailerons frieze type once would deliver too much drag as an elevator. If you organized a 4 or 6 flap arrangement then friesze type ailerons are the best.

Heiner
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,603 Posts
ok, that also explains some of the yaw problem with that plane
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:04 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,230 Posts
I've built a few pure wing sailplanes in the past. If they were too tail heavy, they would happily turn sideways and crash exactly like the video, and this was without any edf's or tubes to blame it on. I had a 3m span one that was about 60 seconds into a flight when this happened. It seemed to be flying fine and then it just wasn't. I had trouble with spins on winch launches too. Some guys in Germany found that certain tip airfoils would keep the spins away.

Another one I made had too much twist in it and needed a lot of nose weight to get it flying without down trim. It wouldn't go very fast, but it ended up very stable this way. It was supposed to be a 1.5m slope racer, so a failure on that, but I learned something.

It's reasonable to assume that these Horten models have not all been built and set up the same, so I wouldn't expect the same behavior just because they look similar.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Last edited by Steve C; Nov 08, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,351 Posts
Steve,
That is some very interesting information! Also makes ya go "hmmm" just a little bit more
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:26 AM
right between the batteries
Farmington UT
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
the guys at CrashTestHobby say it repeatedly that flying wings will NOT fly tail heavy... i can understand how the edf's mixed into the equation over the tail of the wing would only agrivate the issue.

good info! thanx for the video
Justo23 is offline Find More Posts by Justo23