Nice find. Thank you.
marcusg is offline Find More Posts by marcusg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:29 AM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
The boat can soon shed it's toy-town like appearance with the removal of those cheap and tacky looking decals, and the simple application of a coat or two of paint in your chosen colour. I've seen these boats tricked up to look like Perry style submersibles, or even military boats, so plenty of choice to allow your imagination to run amuck.
Thanks Subculture,

Can you (or do you) recommend any upgrades that you feel are necessary for this sub to make it run better and/or more reliable ? Also those sails some are installing complete with "scope" on their subs, are they buying them somewhere or frabricating them themselves (seen it on YouTube btw.) ?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:46 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
As standard the boat works fine. So leave it alone to start with. Popular upgrades to the boat include different batteries for improved running time, and a change of prop and/or motor for more speed,
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:08 AM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub culture View Post
As standard the boat works fine. So leave it alone to start with. Popular upgrades to the boat include different batteries for improved running time, and a change of prop and/or motor for more speed,
What kind/type of batteries are you guys using ? I have a bunch of 6 cell cub c battery packs and some 3S lipos lying around. Btw, great find on the price but just wondering have you seen it cheaper or the same price anywhere else. The reason why I asked was because the vendor are charging me sales tax which I hate to pay whenever possible. Other than that, I'm good to go.

What about those sails/conning towers ?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
No I don't. You'll have to do a bit of searching online to see if you can drive the price down. Secondhand is another alternative. Mike Caswell had one up for sale a couple fo months ago, although it might have sold, think he was looking for about $350 for it, needed a new battery and a general checkover.

Most people upgrading the batteries have used either Lipo or NimH. Some model submariners don't like using lipo in subs becuase of the way lithium reacts with water (it combusts). You would need a pretty extreme set of circumstances to get a problem e.g. a torn/cut cell and a big leak inside the cylinder for issues to occur, but there is always that small risk. NimH's are less of a risk, but you don't get the same capacity, plus the self discharge issues. As you might guess I'm not a big fan of NimH batteries. I believe you can also fit in a bigger lead acid battery.

Conning towers can be made from plastic pipe, or cosntructed from sheet plastic, metal etc. There is nothing readymade, but if you're any kind of a modelmaker, then getting something together shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I find psubs.org a good website for pictures of submersibles, also try googling Perry submersible.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:44 AM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Do you know what size nimh batteries people are using and how many cells ?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined May 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
Hey RC_Nutz, where can I get the sub for $500.00 ? Everywhere I looked at online is asking $650.00 give or take. Thanks in advance.
My oh my. I guess prices has shot up the sky since the last time I saw it, which was about a year. Last I remember, it was about 549, or 569 bucks. Man, this makes me feel old.. LOL.
RC_Nutz is offline Find More Posts by RC_Nutz
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined May 2009
70 Posts
Upgrading is cool. However, pay close attention to the upgraded battery. It will have to be close to the original battery's weight to achieve correct weight and neutral buoyancy. I don't know if a 10 cells Nimh batteries weights the same as the 12V lead battery cell. If it is too light, it won't submerge the sub correctly even with a fully filled ballast. It can and will frustrates a new person with having to taking the lid on and off many times to trim it.

As for the battery sizes. Depends on how much run time you like, and how the boat's neutral buoyancy is. On my Akula, I used 5 cells
(6 volts) 11,000 mAh batteries. It would give me almost 3 hours of run time with mild throttle management.
Last edited by RC_Nutz; Sep 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Nutz View Post
My oh my. I guess prices has shot up the sky since the last time I saw it, which was about a year. Last I remember, it was about 549, or 569 bucks. Man, this makes me feel old.. LOL.
Subculture found it for $529.00 plus tax, so it's all good well except the sales tax part. Lol
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:17 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Nutz View Post
Upgrading is cool. However, pay close attention to the upgraded battery. It will have to be close to the original battery's weight to achieve correct weight and neutral buoyancy. I don't know if a 10 cells Nimh batteries weights the same as the 12V lead battery cell. If it is too light, it won't submerge the sub correctly even with a fully filled ballast. It can and will frustrates a new person with having to taking the lid on and off many times to trim it.
Are most people just sticking with the oem battery or is it really a must have upgrade ?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined May 2009
70 Posts
Do people change out their battery on theirs? That, I can't really say. Usually with somewhat of the semi-scratch builts, the choices of batteries opens up a little more. With pre-built kits, most of the weights and equipment locations are set by the manufacturer, and I am sure they had it laid out in the optimum configuration. While it is stock parts to keep the cost down, TT Neptune has a good running time as it is in stock format. The total run time will varies depends on if you surface, and submerge often or not.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:29 AM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Well just ordered the sub !

I finally dove in (pun intended) and bought my first "real" submarine. I'm pretty excited about it. Hopefully this will be the first step of many into this part of the hobby.

Like to thank all of you for all the info, pointers, etc. Any other advise on this sub would be greatly appreciated.

Marcusg
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:05 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Look forward to seeing you pond side and your postings of your experience.
Peace,
Tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Well I'm excited about getting it and hope to maybe bring it to the sub regetta in SF next month but then again maybe not. I don't want to get laughed at by all those guys with real hand built subs. Lol

Yeah I'm pretty sure I will be posting with a lot of questions (as well has my experience) about this submarine.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
The Small Sub Guy
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
Bring your Sub to the SF Regatta.
You will not be the only one running that particular sub.
mar7ck is offline Find More Posts by mar7ck