SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:31 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Discussion
Is the TT Neptune SB-1 worth getting ?

I want to get a sub badly but have no real experience with them (unless a Nikko sub counts ) and don't really have and real building/modeling skills. This being the case, looking at getting a rtr sub. I wanted to try getting a "real" looking nuke type sub like the Skipjack that's supposed to be coming out but wasn't confident enough if I could build it and not sure exactly what I would need to get her up and running. So although I don't really care for the looks, I was thinking about the TT SB-1. What do you guys really think of this sub ? Is it worth the $650.00 price ? Is it pretty realistic ? Can you actually hover this sub in water ? What upgrades are essential to have a better/funner experience.

Thanks in advance, Marcusg
marcusg is offline Find More Posts by marcusg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined May 2009
70 Posts
I thought the TT Neptune is in the low to mid $500? Anyhow, any sub is better than no sub. If you are not confident enough to build one, then I think this will gives you plenty of fun time at the pool, local shallow lakes or ponds.
RC_Nutz is offline Find More Posts by RC_Nutz
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Nutz View Post
I thought the TT Neptune is in the low to mid $500? Anyhow, any sub is better than no sub. If you are not confident enough to build one, then I think this will gives you plenty of fun time at the pool or local shallow lakes or ponds.
I have built helicopters, high performance rc cars and trucks but those require more mechanical skills then modeling skills thus my hesitations. I don't know, do you think I could handle building up a sub ? If so what would you recommend?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:00 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
There are many enthusiasts for the SB-1, I personally like it and would love to get one. Is it worth it? That is THE question. If you do not have the skills, you could pay someone to build up a sub for you and get what you want, but that will set you back a few pounds/dollars/euros/
Not having the skills is o.k. because you can learn, but do you have the desire to learn through knocks/cuts/hair pulling aggravation?
What I am saying is there are people around that can help you. There are kits out there that are relatively easy to build and look great. If you want to get your feet wet (pun intended), but not spend a lot of time then the SB-1 is a great choice! After all you can sell it to me after you are tired of it :-)
For me this hobby has been the best of the RC stuff I have done!
Peace,
Tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchalfant View Post
There are many enthusiasts for the SB-1, I personally like it and would love to get one. Is it worth it? That is THE question. If you do not have the skills, you could pay someone to build up a sub for you and get what you want, but that will set you back a few pounds/dollars/euros/
Not having the skills is o.k. because you can learn, but do you have the desire to learn through knocks/cuts/hair pulling aggravation?
What I am saying is there are people around that can help you. There are kits out there that are relatively easy to build and look great. If you want to get your feet wet (pun intended), but not spend a lot of time then the SB-1 is a great choice! After all you can sell it to me after you are tired of it :-)
For me this hobby has been the best of the RC stuff I have done!
Peace,
Tom

Thanks Tom and RC_nutz.

Hey Tom, have you seen those YouTube videos of the SB-1. A few of the have mods on them like a sail/conning tower. Where are people getting those from or are they fabricating them themselves ? Also do you have any recommendation for upgrades for this sub ? Thanks again.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined May 2009
70 Posts
Do I think you can build it? Heck yeah man. I have been involved with many aspects of hobbies. Anything from planes, helis, to cars, jets, tanks, now submarines. I had never build any sub before when I decided to get a sub, and dipped my hands into building one. Plainly put, I managed to get it completed, and runs well. While it is no show stopper, or international competition quality as to looks, but it worked, and I am damn proud of myself. So, to answer your question, believe in yourself, take your time, and you can and will get it done.

As for recommendation, I built my first sub from a 1/72 scale Gato Class from a Revell plastic kits, and used Dave Merriman's watertight kits from Caswellplating.com. Took me a short while, and many swear words from the profanity vocabulary, but I got it done. You can try that, or try something a little simpler like a Trumpeter Seawolf, and Dave's kit. That is if you can still find and get one of these Trumpeter kit. Check with Caswell Plating, and see what kits they have on hand for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
I have built helicopters, high performance rc cars and trucks but those require more mechanical skills then modeling skills thus my hesitations. I don't know, do you think I could handle building up a sub ? If so what would you recommend?
RC_Nutz is offline Find More Posts by RC_Nutz
Last edited by RC_Nutz; Sep 13, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
My first sub is the Revell Gato as well. I also used Meriman's sub driver! You can see it on this forum.
There are other subs like what rc_nutz offered that I have heard are easier builds. As far as Other ballast systems, search for Big Dave WTC or submarine. You have choices. We will all help you.

Yes I have seen some of the YouTube videos. Most are custom built. I would recommend a prop upgrade, but not much else until you get comfortable with what you have.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:18 AM
Crazy bubble-head!
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2004
186 Posts
The Neptune is a great starter sub. Unlike many "pool toys", this is a full blown submarine, complete with ballast system (pump style). Is it realistic. Not so much. Its a plastic shell designed for maximum visibility. Many people have upgraded the exterior themselves, but this is purely cosmetic and doesn't particularly impact the sub's performance.

The internals are very well designed and access is actually quite good. Run time is a bit on the short side, but I'd blame that on the bulletproof SLA battery pack. I think its only 4Ah. Swapping it out for a LiPo of higher capacity would be a good thing.

I can recommend it. For the price, you get a lot of boat, and you can upgrade it a lot once you get comfortable with it.
Nemo is offline Find More Posts by Nemo
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
@Nemo Great advice! How's the Gato?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
Crazy bubble-head!
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2004
186 Posts
The Gato is really a different beast altogether. Its a very authentic and detailed model. I find that the buildup is straightforward, but working in that small space is a pain. Trimming it out can also be tricky with that flat deck as air bubbles love to hide under there.

Its a very workable model and a great way to get into the hobby. The difference is that you need to prep that model and baby it during transport, operation and maintenance. The Neptune is basically a bulletproof, durable and well-performing boat. You sacrifice scale looks for simplicity.

My advice is that the Neptune is the best first boat for a beginner. It lets you see how things are sealed, how ballast systems work and how subs behave under and on the water. Once you're comfortable it can easily be upgraded and modified, which is a perfect opportunity to "get your hands dirty" and re-trim the boat, one of the trickiest parts of any sub buildup.

I've seen way too many people jump in with more money than patience and end up selling the projects half-completed and moving on to other hobbies. Trust me... get wet with a simple and reliable boat, then worry about the ultra-detailed, super-scale, torpedo-firing, video enabled, GPS steerable submarine.

I've built dozens of boats (see some of them on my site at www.rc-sub.com) and I've talked to hundreds of people from around the world looking for advice. Too many get caught up in the glamour and lose sight of the practicalities. This hobby is not for the average modeler. Its a group of the elite, and for good reason.
Nemo is offline Find More Posts by Nemo
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
I am sorry I was not clear, I thought you had a Gato and was asking how it is running.

I agree with Nemo, take it slow. Build on successes. The urge is to make it all blinged out, but the best success is stay with the basics and build up from there.

Peace,
Tom
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
Semi-Official Tinkerer
Rochester NY
Joined Mar 2005
829 Posts
The Neptune is a great first time boat.
We have 3 of them in our group.
The guys use them as camera platforms.
For someone new the best advice I can give is to run the boat a few times after checking it out and then grab the manual and take it apart.
Then put it back together.
The boat is available in other parts of the world as a kit as well as RTR.
This choice should have been made available to the USA.
But sadly we are more of a RTR society.
I am a firm believer in knowing how something goes together is the best way of knowing how it works.
They are a good bang for the buck and a great introduction to model submarines. Dave.
Subdave is offline Find More Posts by Subdave
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:30 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subdave View Post
The Neptune is a great first time boat.
We have 3 of them in our group.
The guys use them as camera platforms.
For someone new the best advice I can give is to run the boat a few times after checking it out and then grab the manual and take it apart.
Then put it back together.
The boat is available in other parts of the world as a kit as well as RTR.
This choice should have been made available to the USA.
But sadly we are more of a RTR society.
I am a firm believer in knowing how something goes together is the best way of knowing how it works.
They are a good bang for the buck and a great introduction to model submarines. Dave.
That would be cool to have this sub in kit form.

I thought I read or heard somewhere that Thunder Tiger was coming out with another sub. Anybody hear about that or if it's true, or was I just dreaming. Lol
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Nor Cal,USA
Joined Sep 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Nutz View Post
I thought the TT Neptune is in the low to mid $500? Anyhow, any sub is better than no sub. If you are not confident enough to build one, then I think this will gives you plenty of fun time at the pool, local shallow lakes or ponds.
Hey RC_Nutz, where can I get the sub for $500.00 ? Everywhere I looked at online is asking $650.00 give or take. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:56 AM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
$529 here-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA06X06P8654

You can always take the boat apart and put it back together again, and pretend it's a kit!

Really the boat is very straightforward, if you've ever built up something a like a Tamiya buggy or car kit, you can build the TT Neptune. Everything bolts or screws together, no glues except for maybe a dab of threadlock here or there.

There were some notable problems with the electronics on the earlier versions, which AFAIK have been eliminated on the current crop.

The ballast system is based on a peristaltic pump and flexible bag. This pumps water either way, and allows very precise levels of trim, second only to a proportionally controlled piston tank system..

The boat can soon shed it's toy-town like appearance with the removal of those cheap and tacky looking decals, and the simple application of a coat or two of paint in your chosen colour. I've seen these boats tricked up to look like Perry style submersibles, or even military boats, so plenty of choice to allow your imagination to run amuck.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture