Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,815 Posts
Build Log
Manzano Laser Works DHC-1 Chipmunk -- 74" Wingspan

Last fall, Charlie at MLW had posted up in one of the Ivan Pettigrew Chipmunk build threads that he had hoped to offer a set of laser cut parts for the I.P. Chipmunk, much as he does for the Twin Otters. I sent Charlie a PM at the time, asking him to notify me if he ever had the parts CADded up, so I could buy a set.

I had purchased Mr. Pettigrew's plans several years ago, but had not gotten around to cutting parts in anticipation of building it.

About a month ago, I sent Charlie a follow-up PM to ask if any progress had been made on the Chippie parts. Charlie told me that Paul Bradley had in fact redesigned the I.P. Chipmunk, and that he had a set of parts and plans for a prototype build. So Charlie offered me the parts and plans if I would build the prototype. I was very flattered, to be offered the opportunity, and agreed.

In some additional communications with Charlie, he told me that the redesign was done with Mr. Pettigrew's blessings, and that Mr. Pettigrew would be selling the plans for this version, as well as his own.

So with that history, Charlie sent me the kit parts, plans and a copy of the build manual. Paul Bradley also sent me an electronic version of the manual, which has proved useful to enlarge and look at some of the detail contained in the drawings.

I have really just started the build, but thought I'd use this thread to post up significant milestones. I am taking my time with the build, as I want to make sure that I am building it as intended and designed, and I'm also checking parts fit, etc. as I proceed.

I did take a picture of the big stack of wood that Charlie sent me. The plans are on three sheets, 36"x 80" in dimension. I also thought I'd post up a picture of the legend on one of the plan pages.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,815 Posts
Construction begins with the tail pieces. Construction here is very straightforward. The ribs for the elevators, horizontal stab, vertical fin and rudder all have building tabs on them to maintain the proper height of the leading and trailing edges above the building board. Most of the tail pieces are built from balsa, with ply reinforcement along the control surfaces. Slots for the CA hinges are cut in both the ply and balsa pieces. All the pieces fit very well, and assembly was very straightforward.

I'm attaching pictures of the horizontal stab/elevators and the vertical fin/rudder. They both still require some sanding.

Mark
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,815 Posts
The wing is next in the manual. I have, in fact, just started the wing. It is built in two halves, and then joined. Construction is a D-tube type. The first picture shows the ribs and the main spar. There is a 1/8"sq balsa stick pinned on the plan to build in wash out. The second picture shows the ribs on the main spar (except for the root rib), and the sub leading edge and trailing edge pieces. Nothing has been glued yet. The airfoil used is a flat bottom airfoil, although I'm not sure which one. Again, construction is very easy and straightforward.

Having gotten to this point, I took the time to look at the plans a bit more, and found that I had missed identifying some of the various wood sizes I needed in order to complete the model. So I have now ordered up what I hope is the rest of the wood I'll need to proceed with the build. I would expect to receive the order some time next week, so I can continue.

Mark
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
I thoroughly love the Chipmunk! Is Charlie planning on offering plans and parts for this or a full kit? If so, with the Great Lakes biplane prototype build that is in progress (another of my favorites), Charlie's going to get rather deep into my walllet. : - )
ClipperBill is online now Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClipperBill View Post
I thoroughly love the Chipmunk! Is Charlie planning on offering plans and parts for this or a full kit? If so, with the Great Lakes biplane prototype build that is in progress (another of my favorites), Charlie's going to get rather deep into my walllet. : - )
Bill, I'm not certain whether it will be a full kit or a short kit. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first set of parts cut from Paul's design efforts. So it is genuinely a "prototype".

I love the Chipmunk as well. I have Ivan's plans, I have a Guillows kit I intend to build some day for UM gear, and I have a Veron plan that I've had enlarged 150%, making it a parkflyer sized model. Plenty of different sizes to pursue, but this one is the first I've actually managed to start building.

Mark
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Baboon McGoon
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
Full kit or short kit, I'm most definitely interested in this one. Do you know what size motor, battery, etc. the plans call for?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
Merced,Ca.
Joined Jul 2006
411 Posts
Mark, will be following along with great interest. Should be a fun build !
Brad
delsol is offline Find More Posts by delsol
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:56 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClipperBill View Post
Full kit or short kit, I'm most definitely interested in this one. Do you know what size motor, battery, etc. the plans call for?
Bill, the manual projects a 5-6 lb AUW and calls for a minimum of 420 watts to get 70 watts/lb. It also says there is sufficient space for a 4 cell pack.

I will probably hold off on acquiring a power system for awhile, until I have a better idea of where mine will end up, weight-wise. I generally opt for overpowering my models anyway, as I find some comfort in having the ability to easily and instantly power up and go around if I don't like my approach (for whatever reason). I know that "light is better", but I will put a bigger motor and pack in if I feel the additional power makes sense and the airframe will support it.

Mark
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delsol View Post
Mark, will be following along with great interest. Should be a fun build !
Brad
I'm thrilled to have you along for the ride, Brad! You've been doing a lot of scale builds, so this one should be right up your alley. Please weigh in with any thoughts and advice as the build proceeds!

Mark
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
When my wife and I were soaring ( Blaniks ) in Iran , they got a Chipmunk for a tow plane , before that we went up by winch .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:38 PM
Baboon McGoon
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
You're a rock star Mark for taking time to answer my questions. Will be watching this thread with great interest.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,996 Posts
Wow, this is interesting! I've been contemplating an Ivan Chipmunk for a future build, and the appearance of this build almost seems ... like ... somebody wants more of my money!

When I finally get around to a Chipmunk (some years in the future!), I have the subject already picked out:

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,613 Posts
So, yes, this is a true prototype build because of the numerous structural changes made by Paul to make it easier to build.

As stated, Ivan, Paul and I have corresponded quite a bit on this one to 1) keep it true to Ivan's original and 2) make it easier to build.

I have had the parts cut for a while now and still could not get things cleared off the bench for this one. I did want to build it, but, figured it would be another year before I could finish it. Then as Mark described, he asked and received

The real bottom line is that we will offer this one as a kit. We are hoping to have Mark make a canopy form so Sparky can make them for us. But, if he chooses to follow Ivan's method, that's OK too. We might offer a full kit, but, that depends on a lot of things. We will definitely offer this as a parts and plans kit. The way Paul designs there is not much wood left to buy anyway.

Thanks for this one, Mark.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,815 Posts
I had the pleasure of being at NEAT all weekend, so I'm just home and back on RCG.

It's really my pleasure to do this build, Charlie. I hope I do it, you and Paul justice. I appreciate the faith in my abilities!

Mark
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Not enough nice Chipmunk models out there these days......this ought to be a great one.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel