SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Discussion
Using Oracover - why should one allways start with the underside of the wing?

Hi there,

all instructions for oracover tell you to start with the underside of the wing.

Now I have a little balsa DLG on my desk, and I want a black underside for maximum contrast, and a red upper side.

I've got oralight ready and did some testing with it, unfortunately the black is clearly visible through the red.

When I would start with the underside like in the oracover instructions, with some overlap, I will have an ugly problem.

Is there any reason why I should NOT start with the upper side, let it overlap a bit, and then do the black underside with a fitting piece, covering the overlapping red stuff with black?
huenerschrecker is offline Find More Posts by huenerschrecker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,418 Posts
Normally it's done so that the edge is hidden under the leading edge. But in this case it's OK to start with the top. You will simply need to use a little extra care when sliceing off the excess for the bottom to get clean, straight cuts which lap over only to the exact leading edge point.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
22 Posts
Thank you for your opinion.
That cutting work is pretty hard if youre not used to it. I still have that monokote smart cut tool here, maybe that's some help. I'll see what I can do.
huenerschrecker is offline Find More Posts by huenerschrecker
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
As Bruce stated, the reason for starting on the bottom has everything to do with the seams. They will end up on or near the bottom, which makes for more of a seamless look.

In your case, as been said.. start on the bottom because of the issue of the top color not being opaque enough to hide the overlap... or..... you could still start on the bottom, then go to the top.. and add another layer of nicely/cleanly/straight covering right on the leading-edge... basically a strip.. same color as the top.. this will give you a tad more protection at the lead-edge.. also a clean demarkation/definition at the point the colors meet. I've done this on several planes.. I've called them "cheater" strips..

It might be interesting to note an order of covering I've used pretty much since day one.. that being I start from the bottom/rear, and work forward and up... this not only makes most seams undetectable as the plane is viewed from the top(standing above/around it).. it also makes the side area seams wrap so the seams have less tendency to catch wind, fuel, and anything else that can work into them.. like shingles on a roof you might say.

Good luck.. you'll don fine.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:00 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,627 Posts
1.Cover the top first, with the 'leading edge' of the top covering wrapping down just past the centerline of the leading edge.
2. Cover the bottom, with the 'leading edge' of the bottom covering just SHORT of the leading edge centerline.
3. Cut a 1/4" strip of black and apply it so that its upper edge is the exact centerline of the wing leading edge.
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut