Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:43 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Slow Flyer

So if thats what I'm after, a slow trainer type plane, then go with the 48" style?
Dillion is offline Find More Posts by Dillion
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The two spans will fly on the same fuselage for no more than swapping them. Build the one that matches your flying pleasure aim first, then build the other if feeling adventurous/less than adventurous, depending on which way you go.
D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:00 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
As Dereck said!
Even the "short" wing can fly very slow due to a very low wing loading.
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:42 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
waiting on wood

Okay so i need to come to terms with how I want this bee to fly. How about one in the middle. (I can't leave things alone) So one ie 40"=50" @ 125% the other is 48"=60" @ 125% How about a 55" wing??????? Or is that just indecisive?

Right now I'm wait on some wood I ordered. Been 10 day I think thats a bit long, I should call.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
Dillion, only you can answer that question.
With correct CG position (as per plan) no matter the wingspan, your Bee will be easy to fly.
The extended wing Bee feels more like a motorized glider. If that is what you like - go for it. If you like a stable plane capable of some of the wildest maneuvers (sounds counter intuitive) go for the standard wing. If you want to follow the original rib spacing and covering pattern, 55" would require numerous adjustments.
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:50 AM
Spain, Region of Murcia, MU
Joined Apr 2011
5 Posts
Dillion

Whatever you decide u cant go wrong with a Bee!
fadmucker is offline Find More Posts by fadmucker
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:07 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
577 Posts
What size powerplant does this Bee take.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:30 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,890 Posts
I currently use up to 165 watts and an 11-5.5 prop on four A123 2300mah cells. Get 61 watts/lb. Draws 13.5 amps and have no problem with 12 minute flights. Use a geared Astro 02. Wing loading is 12.2 oz/sq ft.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Building a 'whatever' span Bee wing wouldn't be a great feat of engineering. The 48" 'long wing' has the same tips and dihedral as the regular 40" wing. it's sole claim to fame is two extra ribs in the 8" longer centre section and a little re-shuffle of rib spacing in the centre too. The two extra ribs don't add enough weight to destroy the handling ;(

So a middlin' wing Bee would work as well. I'd go with the two extra ribs and re-spacing, and off you go.

The biggest pain would come if you wanted the 'stock' Lazy Bee scalloped trim. You'd also have to re-draw the scallop patterns for the new length of centre section.

Sez he, who also still has the cardboard scallop patterns made along with his original laminated tip jigs, from around 1994... Maybe one day, I'll make a Lazy Bee and think up a colour scheme of my own.

Or maybe not...

D
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
It's amazing what you find when you should be doing something useful!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1641814&page=3

Possibly a winner of the Lazy Bee 'Longest Span over Scale' Award.

Also demonstrates a most essential party trick for a Lazy Bee - the 'Dizzy Bee'

D
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:55 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,059 Posts
Hey Dereck...thanks for plugging my BEE in the other forum. I'm having tons of fun!

Dillon...thanks for the invite! Their are a lot of forums out here on rcgroups and I would hate to miss a Lazy Bee build! I love these Clancy birds!

So, what did you decide on the wing. I read thru the thread.

I don't want to tell you what my vote is.......short or long, but I will tell you this. On my original Bee, I love the short wing because it will do maneuvers that no other plane at the field will do. I like the 48" wing because it's a floater and just flys around hands off. So like "iva" said...it's up to you!

Well, lets see some more pics! You got me here.....I want to see some progress!!!

Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:37 AM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Wing tip bows

Over the week-end, I built two wing tips. With the magnet system, this wasn't much of a problem. I did play with it most of the day, adding a strip of balsa and then letting it dry a couple hours. I supoose you could try gluing up all the strips at once and pressing them together. Just sounds like your asking for trouble that way. This wasn't much of a bother.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Ah! The hardest part of Beebuilding - making the laminations!

After all, you have to go do something else while the glue dries...

An interesting way of making them up - one day, I must get off my duff and order some magnets. Have the sheet steel to stick atop a board, just lacking the proverbial 'Round Tuit'.

I lean to the original Andy Clancy fashion - soak the laminations, slather white glue - seems to work better than yellow wood glue, no idea why - onto the laminations. Have found a light, all-covering coat on both mating surfaces better than just slapping glue onto one face of a joint. WHen all's glued up, position together and then comes the messy bit - press them together, apply a little pressure, wipe off the surplus glue as it squeezes out. Andy's route was to rubber-band them onto the former - with lots of rubber bands too. I tend to pinning stuff down - like Dillion says, make sure you get the laminations down tight onto your board as you don't want any 'steps' in the outlines when dry. Usually, find some scrap wood - not hard in the BDF - cut into 1" or so lengths, press up to outline and pin the scrap wood piece down instead of pinning into the outlines. Dillion's magnets look great for this job.

Don't even think about CA You're going to have to whittle those wingtips down a lot - they taper front to rear and are very curvy in cross section. With CA and the softer wood you'll need for the outlines, they'd be rock-hard and very difficult to carve and sand to shape.

Upon which, someone handy is bound to have done Beetip bows with CA and done fine, which must prove something...

You want a challenge, seeing as its Tuesday? In all the years I've hung on the fringes of Beedom, I've not seen a low winger that could truthfully be called a Low-wingBee. Many years ago, when I wrote a slimeycolumn, a guy sent me a picture of a model that was 'pretty close', and I must confess that my 'VSP' (Very Short Plane) design was heavily influenced by the Lazy Bee, but something that really could Bee a Low Wing Lazy? Not really.

D
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Lets begin the Wing

Okay so now I have wing tips. Where do I begin the wing construction? Middle? or do I buil;d the wing tips and if I start with the wing tips then at what angle is w3 at?

I don't think this wing is going to fit on my building board. Any ideas where I can get a piece os steel 2 feet by 4 feet?

I'm going to cut some temples for the ribs.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
So I'm thinking I might have a problem building on the 16" X 36" board seeing that the ribs are almost 18" and I think the wing will be 18 1/2" Have to think about this
Last edited by Dillion; Oct 02, 2012 at 12:17 PM.