HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,813 Posts
Dillion,

Looks great so far. I'm glad you went with the stock wing, ailerons on a bee just add complexity and do nothing for its flying that the rudder wont already do. With the cg and throws set pretty aggressive, it will roll fast enough to make people ask what youve done with the ailerons, and they will snap roll and flat spin too! I just mix rudder to aileron on my tx, in case I forget and try to steer it on the ground with my left hand
David Hogue is online now Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:17 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
Hi Dereck,

Mine is 75% of 40" i.e. 30". 'Little frantic' must belong to the days of NiCd or NiMh as the power source choices. Mine started its life with 8 650mAh KAN NiMh. It was a very decent flyer but turned into a complete different animal once i switched to LiPo. In its current form it is sub 8Oz and it is extremely agile and stable at the same time.
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:43 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Iva - Andy C designed some 'interesting' Bee-lets back in the days of Clancy Aviation. He'd show up at bigger model meets and hand out free plans of whatever he'd turned out - some of them were definitely 'in development', to be nice...

Yours sounds very interesting. What motor do you use now?

In the meantime, as everyone likes pictures... Plus a video of me Bee'ing a silly so-and-so - jump to just before minute eight, please!

Aug 2012 Loop Roll 720.mov (14 min 44 sec)

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Last edited by Dereck; Sep 21, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:39 PM
iva
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
Currently I am using Pulso 2204/54 1400. Very smooth and quiet. Originally it was powered by my own CD ROM rewind.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Motor and Stabilizer

You are talking about the motor you use. I don't have any idea what this plane is going weigh. What should it weigh?

I built the stabilizer and just set it in the fuselage. Looks BIG.
Dillion is offline Find More Posts by Dillion
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
My presentBee weighs 24.5oz, plus around 6.8oz for a 3S Lipo of 2200mA up to 10oz for a 3S A123 pack.

There is a Very Hard Sum around somewhere that can give you an idea of what a 'large scale' model can weigh if upscaled from a smaller model. Being me, I'd be looking for around 32oz plus whatever in battery weight, but that's very eyeball-ish.

D
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:39 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Tasks

Click: I think I will add another door on the other side. Just might think about the best way to do doors on this guy. Not overly happy with what I have.

TexasCloud: LED'S? maybe along the wing tips, and a few in the belly. Where do you get the LED's? Is this a Radio Shack item or something I get through a hobby shop?

IVA: I found a plane for my FlightSim that looks like a LazyBee. I tried the rudder on the left stick and the elevator on the right stick. Then I put both on the right stick and I like that far better. What do you think. I never few a three channel

Has someone built a Big Bee? What does it weigh?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:26 PM
iva
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
Primary controls (whatever they are) on the right stick and throttle on the left.
That's the way I like it!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:43 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Neat hinges. They should allow you real easy access to your battery and keep the hatch in close proximity to the model.

My Bee's first battery hatch is about forty miles from our house

Controls - put rudder and ele on your right stick, throttle on the left, if you fly mode 2. I don't fly as much as I'd like these days and occasionally find myself wondering why the Bee - my only three channel model - won't turn on the ground when I waggle my left stick sideways... But that's no real issue, once I wake up. I could mix my rudder channel (left stick) to my right stick so I could operate the rudder like on a four channel model, but feel that's getting out of hand.

D
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
Dillion - you have done a masterful job of assembling several great minds that appreciate the Clancy form. I will agree that it is fun to build a better mousetrap at times, but am glad to see that you are sticking to the original three channel design as a starting place. I have a four channel 48" Bee but have never taken the time to fly it since I enjoy my "regular" Bees so much. Like most of the other builders in this thread, I have about every Bee from a 20" (50%) Bee all the way up to a 72" kit (that hasn't been built yet plus a few Turbo and Speedy Bees).. and you really can't beat the design that Andy created so many years ago.

So.. enough of my rambling.. I do like the design of your door. I have worked on a door design myself but have never finished it. Mine was hinged at the leading edge of the door and held in place with a spring-type keeper. I will keep my eye on your build and may have to steal your design!

Mark
mthomas is offline Find More Posts by mthomas
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
What Size Wing

Okay Advisors: I'm about to embark on the wing project. What do you advise. Do I use the 40" wing size which would be 50" at 125% or the 48" wing, No Ailerons, which becomes 60" ??? ****Recommendation ??****

The weight The Big Bee, being 25% larger has a recommended weight of 5.25 to 6 pounds, with that in mind the 125% should be between 70 to 80 oz. ****Thoughts****

Thank you Mark. Your are more than welcome to take anything you find here. That's the purpose of these threads. I ask these great Bee Keepers for advise and now so anyone interested in Bee Keeping will have many of their question answered as I have.

I thought it would be nice to post the plans.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,913 Posts
40". The 48" wing makes for sedate flying whether you want it or not. I have wondered about a 44" wing over the years. My 48" has not been used in about 12 years.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Wingspan. Now there's a choice! Way back, I flew both. My first E Bee started with a long wing. It was very sedate in flight compared to the short wing, but it's only real disadvantage was that when flown off water on floats, it tended to be blown over easier than with the short wing.

On the positive side, I once got my long wing into a thermal for quite a while - not a bad trick considering it was lugging a 16oz nicad. I vaguely recall losing the long wing to a moment of over-exuberance, though it's tips were soon back in the air, albeit a little less further about.

An idle thought - while a bolted on wing is neat, the banded on wing is much less fuss to make... Another is that while you can cool a short wing Bee down, it's harder to wind up a long winger.

Mark - your 50% Bee sounds intriguing - any photos? I too have a Turbo Bee kit. Am torn Beetween just building it or keeping the kit - I think it's an oldie - and figuring a way to copy the parts. A clubmate of mine back in MD put an inrunner brushless on a 3 S lipo in his and it really flew well.

D
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
iva
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
My choice would be 125% of 40". The first Bee I built was "extended" 48" wing. It was fine but it flew more like a trainer. If I remember correctly, the rationale for the "extended" wing was to accommodate heavy NiCds.
My 75% of the 40" wing is way more fun!