Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,159 Posts
Subscribed! I flew my Fokker Big Bee last Saturday at our night fly-in. It was a hoot.

I'm tempted to suggest you stick with the plans, but don't want to hinder your creativity!
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:07 AM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
3 Channel?

Are you flying your Big Bee with three channels or do you have a aileron wing design that works?
Dillion is offline Find More Posts by Dillion
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillion View Post
Are you flying your Big Bee with three channels or do you have a aileron wing design that works?
3-Channels and loving it!

The only benefit I can see to ailerons would be sustained inverted flight. It takes alot of practice to fly the Bee inverted with only a rudder.

Like others have said, consider a bottom hatch for your tail servos if mounted down low.

Don't copy my battery mount location. I tried to get the CG up high and the end result was a PITA to load the batteries. I have plans to install them on the floor soon.

Here are my videos on it:

Mark's Clancy Big Bee 60 RC Plane Build Pictures (9 min 56 sec)

http://youtu.be/IWX5Dz_1pbI

http://youtu.be/qOK0quntFt0
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,602 Posts
Hi Dillion,
Your doing a Great job on this build!!!!
I to fly @ the Nighthawksrc field Please let me know when she is ready for her maiden flight and i will Video it for you
Thanks Billy D
Quote:
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:55 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Good bit of night flying - loved the Beespin on the ground too!

Have thought of many odd things to do with the Lazy Bee - the 'Eeb Yzal' was but one of them, but it's so much fun as it comes, I keep on building them. It's a design that never fails to raise a smile when it flies, wherever and whenever.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Don't mess with perfection

Okay you guys convinced me that if I don't build this the way his Royal Highness Clancy designed it, I'm doing myself a serious disservice. I will build the first wing as designed. How could I not. And if I still have a need for ailerons then I'll build my wing.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,159 Posts
You might get it to fly better...but that is a relative turn. I'd hate to see you show up to a Bee event and have people turn up their nose to you...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:03 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Air conditioned servos

They'll ruin the streamlining!

D
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Aerodynamics

You think the servos on the outside will destroy the aerodynamics ? I've seen a bunch of planes with the servos in that location. Heres a sight where they chat about the outside servos. If you guys really think it's an issue, I'll move them back inside. Just thought it was a good location.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409440

Okay, Okay i see how you guys are going to be. So we'll bring everything up for committee. I really don't have a problem with that, but I will want some answer rather fast. I'll pull the servos from the back and put them low in the front of the fuselage. First bay or second??

I'm listening
Last edited by Dillion; Sep 18, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
OHIO
Joined Aug 2009
1,602 Posts
Dillion, you will be just fine with them on the outside

Quote:
You think the servos on the outside will destroy the aerodynamics ? I've seen a bunch of planes with the servos in that location. Heres a sight where they chat about the outside servos. If you guys really think it's an issue, I'll move them back inside. Just thought it was a good location.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1409440
BILLYDSRC is offline Find More Posts by BILLYDSRC
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The cause of external servos is a funny thing. It seems to have come from two routes. One was the large, expensive aerobatic model lot. As the best layout for controls involves such as the servo arm and control horn being in the same plane of rotation with the pushrod minimally offset from both, that can be baffling.

The other route involves that it's the cheapest way going for ready-mades.

Okay, when I put the aileron servos into my Four Star 20 wing, instead of spending maybe ten minutes gluing in the kit bits for servos hanging out in the breeze, I spent all day making bits to mount the servos inside the wings on ply ribs.

IMO, the last aircraft that looked good with it's controls hanging out in the breeze is the Tiger Moth.

But that's just me...

D
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:07 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,876 Posts
Mine are outside on my Bee because it was much easier to repair it that way. They didn't start out there. I used dual elevator servos because I was tired of how much work is involved repairing that which connects the elevators. It did allow "v" tail mixing so the elevators could be used as ailerons ( not worth the trouble ).
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:30 AM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
What I'm doing

Okay, so some of you think the servos on the outside is a bad idea. Messes up the look of the bee. So, I'm plugging up the holes now, filler should be dry soon. For now, I'll go with the original plans and build a three channel. THe 48" wing comes out to 62". Big wing. I'll use that. "Al M" Question, please explane to me how you make the elevator work as ailerons. Do I split the elevator?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:27 AM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
It doesn't really matter! There's strong possibility that the Lazy Bee has an exemption from the laws of aerodynamics. They like watching them do strange things, so don't demand that the Bee plays ball like the rest of the boring old world of aircraft.

That's a joke. I think...

So put your servos wherever you fancy. - inside, outside, as long as they waggle the controls with the usual degree of slop-free and easy to adjust, they'll do fine.

I was at a big electric fly-in near Colonial Williamsburg in VA, a couple of years back. One guy had brought his mom along. She didn't really understand what all these supposed adults were doing, but was being nice for her son (who wasn't exactly a kid either). Then she saw my Lazy Bee - she was all over it, thought it was adorable and begged me to fly it so she could watch! Went out to the pilot's station with me, got really excited and went away from her own personal demo flight a lot happier over having to spend the day standing in a field with a bunch of well overgrown kids.

Not that many model aircraft have that effect on folk.

D