HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,886 Posts
Always curving is desirable because you don't have to trim the plane. Nobody can tell the difference.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:13 PM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,687 Posts
Check out this Clancy Aviation ad from 1998.
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
Check out this Clancy Aviation ad from 1998.
Those old ads are cool.

I remember when I was 12 or so, looking at Tower Hobbies magazines and thinking that I could teach myself how to fly one of the Clancy Bee planes that they used to carry. I would study this one page that showed how the 4 channel transmitter sticks worked and visualize flying an rc plane. I also wanted a Tower Trainer or a DuraStik.

I never did get into RC Planes until I finished college and worked for a few years. I bought a DX6i and Mountain Models Dandy Sport 3 years ago and finally taught myself how to fly. I had a few Firebird 3-Channel planes before that but they were heavy, easy to break, flew like junk, etc.

I joined our local flying club 2 years ago and built the Big Bee. Everyone loves seeing it fly and I'm helping another member build his own. They can't believe that I fly it in 15-20 mph wind when many put up their planes. I just need a buddy to grab it after toughdown. Don't try to cross-wind taxi the bee in more than 10mph.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
I loved the Ad. Don't you wish they where still available?

The motor is wired and mounted. Need to attach the tail feathers now. Any tricks to being sure they are dead center?
Dillion is offline Find More Posts by Dillion
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:23 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillion View Post
I loved the Ad. Don't you wish they where still available?
Need to attach the tail feathers now. Any tricks to being sure they are dead center?
As we all prove around here, Bee's are always available

Tailfeathers? Arrange life so you can sit the fuselage with the wing mounted on your bench and it can't be waggled around much.

Slip tailplane into slot, stand well behind the model and eyeball it for being parallel to the wing. The other vital dimension is measured from wing TE to tailplane TE out at the tips, to give the widest spread. Those two should be identical.

If you have to do any sanding, fudging or whaatever to achieve those two matches, make sure the tailplane sits in position and correctly aligned without any stress or strain against the fuselage. Maybe make some jigging pieces to hold it thus.

Then take it out, glue it up and place it back, checking the above numbers and positioning even more carefully.

It can be done with the elevator hinged up, but not having the elevator in place on the TP makes for a little more pleasant time.
Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:48 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Merry Chrstmas

I would like to Thank everyone who participated in my Blog. I have received many GREAT suggestions and innovations. I hope future Bee Keeps can benefit from all that has been created here. I intend to take the Holidays off but will be back after the first to finish up OUR Lazy Bee. As soon as Spring beaks I'll take her out for a fly. Once again Thank You all for your help and have Very Merry Christmas. Dylan
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,159 Posts
Merry Christmas, see ya next year!
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:58 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Lets Finish

Dereck thinks it's nice that I took a break for the Holidays, BUT it's time to get this Bee in the air. The thing Bee's do best is Fly, so lets get it up.

I finished off the battery floor with a velcro strap and moved the location up a little further.

I glued the stabilizer in place. I always had an issue with knowing if the stabilizer is square to a tapered fuselage. I put a straight edge of cardboard against the fuselage and drew a line along the stabilizer. Then drew that line on the other side and lined it up with the other side. I kept going back and further till both side aliened with the line drawn on the cardboard for both sides. Hope that makes some sense.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:44 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Almost

Still have the rudder and tail wheel. I think it's close to finish.
Last edited by Dillion; Jan 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:32 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Battery tray looks good. I go on about having a velcro strap around my battery to hold it down onto the main velcro, but have never bothered with doing that to Bees.

Still, only use 2200mA 3S in Bees, and one hasn't sailed out the side of the fuselage yet

Haven't 'Bee'n' flying since a rare day last November. Took the Lazy Bee out to the patch last week, when the temps hit mid-50s. Left the house with a tolerable wind - arrived to see the site windsock horizontal, close to departing its pole, and dead across the runway. Went home, being a fine weather flying wimp.

Quick alignment check for stab is to measure from a definable point on the wing to a definable point on the stab, compare that measurement from both sides. A rib/TE joint is 'definable', for example. That the stab is well below the wing doesn't matter, both side measurements should be the same.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:57 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
You are right

Dereck, as usual you are right my friend. I marked the fuselage at a point where the wing locks. Then measured back to the tip of the stabilizer on both sides moving the stabilizer till both side where equal.. I don't understand why my method didn't work. It was 3/16" off. Still, it's good to know it's perfect now. Thanks Dereck.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:17 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
New Wing??

Has anyone built or intend to build the wing we designed?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:35 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Finial weight

Finial Flying Numbers on this Bee

Wing Span: 50.5"
Fuselage Length: 41"
Motor: ExceedRc Monster Power 10
Prop: 10X6