HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:11 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Shocks

Well I finished the shocks. I found these huge 6" foam wheels which I think they look right on the Bee. It needs BIG wheels. The shocks are for a RC truck. I used nylon spacers and loock nuts. Also used Locknut everywhere. I think it looks good. Mark you appear to be the last one on this Blog. Thanks for hanging in there.
Dillion is offline Find More Posts by Dillion
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,164 Posts
Looks real slick. Those tires will be more user friendly and last longer than the trexlers. Mine are already cracking after a little over a year.

Let me know what your final weight and wingspan is.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:57 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Along with Tex on Trexlers. They drip coolness, but reality is a pain. Pumping them up, not getting damp inside of them, stopping the air leaking out, etc etc...

Will probably keep them on my regularLazy. My LazySpeedy has foamie wheels. To heck with it!

The shocks thing will be interesting to follow. Have long thought I should try them, but that's as far as I have got.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:22 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
My Bee has been using the same pair of Trexlers since December 1997. Only had one puncture when I misjudged a landing. It was at an event where they had a paved runway and I put it down on the center line instead of on the grass next to it. I fixed the puncture with a patch for bicycle tubes and a Bandaid. It has been fine for years, but the Bandaid has to be replaced a few times each year.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al M View Post
My Bee has been using the same pair of Trexlers since December 1997. Only had one puncture when I misjudged a landing. It was at an event where they had a paved runway and I put it down on the center line instead of on the grass next to it. I fixed the puncture with a patch for bicycle tubes and a Bandaid. It has been fine for years, but the Bandaid has to be replaced a few times each year.
do you store yours with air, deflated, in powder or what?

i deflate mine when not inuse then leave on the model hanging in my shed. as a result mine have a bunch of cracks on the outside when i air up. i had one leak early on, but thin CA fixed it.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:47 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
Looking good Dillian. Keep it up she looks like she is almost ready for the air.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:17 AM
I broke it
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
do you store yours with air, deflated, in powder or what?

i deflate mine when not inuse then leave on the model hanging in my shed. as a result mine have a bunch of cracks on the outside when i air up. i had one leak early on, but thin CA fixed it.
they dry rot here something fierce...I've started using fun cub wheels...same look and no air issues
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
I only deflate my Trexlers if I don't plan to use them for a month or more. I always leave them a little soft. Sometimes a lot soft.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:20 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Motor

Okay heree is what I have for power. A Monster Power 10 1100Kv 375W Idle Current 2.1A Coutinuous Current 30A Max Burst 38A 2-3 LiPo. I have both a 30A and 50A ESC. I plan to run a 2150 3cell. Props 10X5 to 12X6 The plane fron what i can determine from just parts weighs 50oz and the current motor, battery and ESC weight 12. So the Bee will come in at 62Oz. or 3 3/4 lbs. That gives the plane about 100W per pound
Last edited by Dillion; Dec 09, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,164 Posts
Note that an esc rating is with 5mph airflow over it. If you aren't blowing air through the fuselage then you might want to use the larger esc...especially if you plan to use full throttle a lot.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:16 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Airflow

So should I drill a few holes in the front of the fuselage? This bee has nice vents cut up front. You think I should do the same?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillion View Post
So should I drill a few holes in the front of the fuselage? This bee has nice vents cut up front. You think I should do the same?
That is where I put my air inlet right in the nose behind the prop. My air exits out the large pushrod exits in the tail. Some leave a couple side windows open to let air escape. My esc is in the nose area beneith the esc.

However, with a large cavernous fuselage like the bee has, and a properly sized power system, you may not have excessive heat buildup as is. I say fly around five minutes and check the esc and battery temps. If cool then u probably can get away without the airflow. If warm then add some holes later.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:12 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Motor

Mark, do you think I'll be okay with the Monster power 10 and the 30A ESC or should I use the 50A ESC?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,164 Posts
50a esc
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:06 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Air cooling - a way out is probably as important as a way in for cooling air. Those front vents look good, should work and if you ever take up waterBee flying, you can tape them over easily.

Having said that, none of my e-Bees have had any cooling air inlets or outlets...

You might want to look at some bigger batteries - though the age of the pack and its C rating come in here. There is a tendency from some country who's name escapes me right now to be a little optimistic on C rating too. A lot depends on how you fly your Bee. Mine was spotted in straight and level once, but I can't recall when I suspect some of my older 2200-ish 3S packs are on the rundown, but at least replacements don't cost a lot.

If you have a bigger ESC lying around, use it. Extra capacity never hurts here.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck