HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:33 AM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Windows

Windows? Wind Screen. Okay whats the deal with installing the wind screen cleanly. What plastic do I use and what glue? I suppose it's the same on the side panels.
Dillion is offline Find More Posts by Dillion
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061 View Post
I like the red baron look on you bee Texas clouds and also how you made the entire verticle move over just having a rudder. Does it give it any extra athority or is it about the same as with just having a rudder?
By move over, do you mean a barrel roll in flight? yes, that big rudder has more then enough power to do a roll. At full rates, it looks like a snap roll.

The only time I miss ailerons would be for inverted flight. I have yet to master that with the Bee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillion View Post
TC, A very nice Fokker Bee. You know for future builds I have to stop thing so traditionally. Mounting the servo upside down is a great idea. That way you have access equally. Do you have a side door to get to the servos?

I use a stubby screw driver whenever I need to pull the horns off the servos (rarely). The servo setup works fine and I moved them forward one bay from what the big bee plans say (if i remember correctly). With the wing off, I can easily access the servos from the top opening. For my big bee, I'm using the power hd mg1501 servos.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillion View Post
Windows? Wind Screen. Okay whats the deal with installing the wind screen cleanly. What plastic do I use and what glue? I suppose it's the same on the side panels.
I bought some clear plastic from a craft store and did the side panels from the inside. the front was cut via individual frames and glued to the outside.

this is a nice clear glue that sticks: Super Z RC 56 Canopy Glue
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,893 Posts
Clear Ultracote. I suppose Monokote also has clear.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:58 PM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
All I ever did was to rough up the outer tubes with sandpaper and spot glue them with epoxy applied with a stick.
Never used the black parts.
I use 1/16th M.W. rather than the yellow inner tubes for the sake of simplicity. Z bend at the top of the servo output and a 2-56 Sullivan soldered thread fitting with a kwik clip at the horn end. I used a ball and socket on the rudder horn.

Actually, using 1" sections of the yellow tubing as fairleads for 1/16 M.W. is my preferred installation.
All seven of my Lazy Bees had the servos upside down accessed with simple snap in hatches.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Last edited by lindart; Nov 28, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added info
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:14 PM
Art Schmitz
United States, TN, Crossville
Joined Jan 2012
392 Posts
Hint: Use a (yellow for your plane) high lighter /sharpie pen to carefully color the edges of the side window openings prior to installing plastic from inside.
lindart is offline Find More Posts by lindart
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:52 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindart View Post
All seven of my Lazy Bees had the servos upside down accessed with simple snap in hatches.
Nothing to do with control installation, but you 'Bee't me - I've only had six Lazy Bees.

Though technically, I could include the Cox 049 glow Lazy Bee Andy C got me when they were new, and the 'still in its box' one an old flying buddy sent me last month - someone gave him it and he couldn't figure out where to put it or what to do with it.

I just put my servos right way up higher up in the fuselage and use the wing aperture as the service hatch.

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindart View Post
Hint: Use a (yellow for your plane) high lighter /sharpie pen to carefully color the edges of the side window openings prior to installing plastic from inside.
i brushed on some testors paint prior to covering, grey inside the cockpit, brown for the dashboard, and red on the window frames. i also printed my contact information and ama number on a piece of printer paper, sealed it with packing tape, then secured it to the dashboard for identification.

Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:26 AM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Paint

Red makes more sense. I painted my window frames white, but since the upper part of the fuselage is red, I'm going to paint my window frames red also. Thanks Texas
Last edited by Dillion; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:22 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Covering Fuselage

I suppose the reason we're special is that we have the patents for scratch building. If anyone ever listed all the task needed to build an airplane I would think it would run into the hundreds. So I have the scalopes on both sides of the fuselage. have to cover the bottom and the top rear section. The BEE is moving alone. I also have my little cub all finished up. It needed a new rudder, landing gear and cowl.

Are we all ready for Christmas?

Do we expect toys?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,160 Posts
I hopefully will make some good progress on my d7 over the Christmas break. I'm gettin anxious to fly it but enjoy having something to build. The next build will be a Whirlybird Dag R1 gyro plane. I still want to do a glow Bee as well. I also have this wild hare to setup a .60 arf witha dle 20cc gas engine.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:29 PM
Balsa Dust and CA Fumes
Joined Oct 2007
150 Posts
Show Us

Texas Show us your planes. We'd like to see what your up to.

I found this platic for picture frames. I like the hardness of it. Cuts with a utility knife. I'm using Silicon glue to hold the panels in place. I'll let you know how this workd out.

Okay. The Silicon Glue worked out well with flat pieces where I could put a small puddle of the glue in four corners. For the Front Windscreens, I'm going to use Liquid Nails, as it actually holds acrylic. I'll let you know.
Last edited by Dillion; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,160 Posts
I'm working on a 53" Fokker D7 with Saito FA40a engine:

Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:13 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Dillion
That clear plastic sounds a good idea. A solution of mine is to look closely at those irritating clear plastic bubble packs so much stuff comes in these days. Any large enough flat areas, plus any useable looking bubbles, are hacked out before the package hits the trashbin.

The last third of 'Hal-Thank-Mass' promises to be quiet, with just the two of us. The Spousal Unit's granddaughters are coming for a visit late January, with their male staff member, whoever he is. Where are my earplugs?

Texas - you want to do a RealBigNoisyBee? Andy Clancy built and flew an IMAA legal 80" twice life size one before he kitted the Big Bee at 60" - reckoned he should have gone with the 80" as they could have been priced way up where the Immense Model Aircraft Association would pay for suchlike.

Andy's 80" prototype had some typical 60 glow lump about lost on the nose and flew fine - he sent me a video of it flying. Snag was, he didn't nail the receiver battery down that well and, after a violent roll, it flew out the side of the fuselage. Most of the video was of the model going around in circles with the engine flat out until it hit the deck...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Dillion

Andy's 80" prototype had some typical 60 glow lump about lost on the nose and flew fine - he sent me a video of it flying. Snag was, he didn't nail the receiver battery down that well and, after a violent roll, it flew out the side of the fuselage. Most of the video was of the model going around in circles with the engine flat out until it hit the deck...

D
Ouch! Yet another reason for going electric...no runaways! Lets see, my 60" Bee has a 24" wing chord...which is crazy...the 80" would have a 32" wing chord...which is nuts!

Maybe I should roll my wishlist into one plane...gas powered 80" Giant Gyro Bee