SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by prodriverex, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:05 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
620 Posts
Build Log
Quad Copter frame building

Sometime in Feb 2012, I started this project after deciding I should do something like a quad with the spare material lying in my workshop..

So I tried my hands on milling using a drill press and did a cross-joint.. looks ok:

Days later, went to buy some low Kv and cheap motors and mounted them on:

Then I wanted something with big enough base but not blocking the down wash.. So I fall back on this black foam board, again, spares..

Ok the reason why I wanted the rod to extend beyond the motor is to prevent a direct hit of the props onto the ground in case of accidents.

Damn, after some thinking and looking at other design, this is silly with the black foam.. So here comes the Aluminum plate I asked a supplier to pre cut for me so that I don't have to sweat it out:

Ah, those holes I drilled myself..

Here's a perfect fit:

Then its time to add another layer that floats on vibration damper mount which I bought from Farnell.. Ok, this is not in line with the starting goal, scratch..:

And the PCB/FC will float also on these dampers:

Now its time to think about the battery holder.. forgotten about it:

Decided to cut it out using spare Al sheet around:

But then, trouble! Too wide..These are mil-grade 3450mAh 4S, very light and very high density.

A quick thinking and we flip it on the breath:

Now what about the legs? Ok, I got some inspiration from Hobbyking X525 Glass Fiber Landing Gear. So instead cutting curve ski which is too much hassle, we do straight line.

Hmm.. that leg will look quite sharp.. So I thought, why not add a roller.. it was not easy to find one whose width is close to the width of the rod! But we found nevertheless. And we even added a shock absorber from Kyosho.

And even the damping can be changed:

Here's a complete set. We though if we have a 1.6kg quad coming down and suffer a heavy landing, this could help..

Here's a complete setup of the electronics with KK2.0:

And the full set:

The craft look fantastic.. Alas, the motor wasn't able to cope with the weight I guess. Someone suggested the prop's pitch was too aggressive.. The props are 9x7.. Yes I think so too.. I have just gotten 9x4.7.. gonna try it out soon.

Thank for reading.

As of August 2012, I have started building another version with full CF.. watch out for update..
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
to remove ads between posts