SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:12 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
hi all,

just did my mods-also Z slope mod.
This mod did I already at my old V1 Sbach with great success- all servos are without issues with direct steering to the rudders---if they are impacts, the rod can bend in the U. I don't think my mod is bad for the servos

Without mod the rod and rudders are too weak...figured out in positive snap rolls which came poor slow and not direct because the rod had to push the elevator.
one pic from mine...
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:07 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
220 Posts
My sbach 3d had some pretty violent tail oscillation when running WOT on 2s!
I strengthened the tail with CF and took out slop in the U bend, the problem was still evident and IMO not the cause.
This is a gyro induced issue, so i moved the control horn on the elevator from the inner hole to the outer hole, effectively reducing gyro effect on the elevator.
This change has completely solved my tail issues and now flies smooth even at WOT ! It's not like the sbach suffers from lack of elevator throw
Just thought i'd throw my findings out there, might be helpful to someone with oscillation issues.
This plane is too good to be spoiled by tail flutter!
On another note, i tried the SFG's today , i love them! never put them on my v1 sbach
Seems to make the plane even more stable in flight and i'm actually liking the way they look too ,especially went doing fast aileron rolls!!
Cheers for now.
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:39 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygeneration View Post
I strengthened the tail with CF and took out slop in the U bend, the problem was still evident and IMO not the cause.
This is a gyro induced issue, so i moved the control horn on the elevator from the inner hole to the outer hole, effectively reducing gyro effect on the elevator.
This change has completely solved my tail issues and now flies smooth even at WOT ! It's not like the sbach suffers from lack of elevator throw
Just thought i'd throw my findings out there, might be helpful to someone with oscillation issues.
On another note, i tried the SFG's today , i love them! never put them on my v1 sbach
Seems to make the plane even more stable in flight and i'm actually liking the way they look too ,especially went doing fast aileron rolls!!
Cheers for now.
This might be an easy fix for the dolphin tail wiggle thing
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:52 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygeneration View Post
Cheers for now.
Lack of elevator throw has been my number one complaint about this plane. It needs at least 10 more degrees to be a true 3D plane in my opinion. In harrier flight I need full up elevator and it won't snap up to a hover, it needs to be flown into a hover. I've hit the ground 3 times trying to pull out of loops that would have been no problem with the beast. Sunday I just flew the plane around trying to get a feel for it, I can't expect it to perform like my beast, I need to train my brain to understand that....
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:45 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
Lack of elevator throw has been my number one complaint about this plane. It needs at least 10 more degrees to be a true 3D plane in my opinion. In harrier flight I need full up elevator and it won't snap up to a hover, it needs to be flown into a hover. I've hit the ground 3 times trying to pull out of loops that would have been no problem with the beast. Sunday I just flew the plane around trying to get a feel for it, I can't expect it to perform like my beast, I need to train my brain to understand that....
My experience could not be more different. I find it easy to harrier with about 1/2 ele or less at times, and if not carefull it is quick to pop to hover even when I don't try. Have a look at the vids on my youtube channell posted the link back a few pages back. Are you running with the lipo back enough?
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
My experience could not be more different. I find it easy to harrier with about 1/2 ele or less at times, and if not carefull it is quick to pop to hover even when I don't try. Have a look at the vids on my youtube channell posted the link back a few pages back. Are you running with the lipo back enough?
Yah... +1... and all that. Sounds like a CG issue. Have you measured your CG?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:02 AM
"Hey yall watch this"...
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Aug 2012
73 Posts
Same here no elevator athority problems, cg and throttle control are the ticket. I may try moving my elevator rod out a few holes and see if the occilation goes away and see if it still 3d's good. I put in a previouse post on how prop seemed balanced well until I ran 3s in the air, static it seemed perfect but once it unloaded I could hear the prop being off balance immediatly followed by occilation, even vertical up lines at wot it would occilate....my experiance anyways.
Planecraazy is offline Find More Posts by Planecraazy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:07 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Got one of these on order. My first micro e-Flite model. I got some 2S180 packs from HK with the e-Flite micro connector. I notice they have 3 wires so I assume this is a balance tap. Is the only option to buy an e-Flite charger or can I get something so I can charge from my existing Hyperion charger?
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Last edited by DominicM; Nov 07, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:20 AM
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit View Post
Is the only option to but an e-Flite charger or can I get something so I can charge from my existing Hyperion charger?
This is what I use: 6 x Parallel JST-PH Charge Lead for E-flite UMX Series 2S Lipoly, so cheap and never had an issue with them.
ecenshu is offline Find More Posts by ecenshu
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:36 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for your help. Hopefully it'll come back in stock soon.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenshu View Post
This is what I use: 6 x Parallel JST-PH Charge Lead for E-flite UMX Series 2S Lipoly, so cheap and never had an issue with them.
This is also a good one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eflite-E-F...item3f1e4f6432
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit View Post
Got one of these on order. My first micro e-Flite model. I got some 2S180 packs from HK with the e-Flite micro connector. I notice they have 3 wires so I assume this is a balance tap. Is the only option to buy an e-Flite charger or can I get something so I can charge from my existing Hyperion charger?
Horizon also has charge adapter's for use with regular chargers. I believe they are around $5.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:30 AM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy85 View Post
Cheers. Just ordered one. Thanks all.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:38 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I'm on the other side on this one. I think there is plenty of throw and I have no problem hovering or harriering in the Sbach. I will say there is substantially less wing area and therefore less lift. When you can't pull out of the loops did it go in nose down or did it pancake belly first? Nose down would imply to forward of a CG or lack of elevator, belly first or "on the chin" would suggest that the wing was stalled that says lack of lift. This also can be because the elevator on the Sbach is so large and effective that it can bring the AoA to way past stall even at higher speeds. If you pull full high rate elevator on the descending 1/4 of a loop it will stall the wing

Something the Beast does really well is the "square" loop you can point the plane straight down and just make a sharp 90* pull and with that huge wing it will fly right out.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:37 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenshu View Post
I just got some in from ProgessiveRC. Work great!
http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72