Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
433 Posts
I think the Sbach would be the better choice.
or you might try this:
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-30-E...-Pitts-M12.htm

This plane is great fun and really easy to learn 3D Plus its EPP, which makes it almost bullet proof!
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy436 View Post
As a first umx 3d plane, which plane would be better for practicing 3d? sbach 3d or beast 3d? durability of a biplane vs a single? i can only get one so im really on the fence between the two.
None of the above. Get a decent larger profile foamy, preferably in EPP foam. Way easier to learn on, way more stable, way more durable, fly in more breeze. My favorite for starters is the Hacker Super Zoom, but there are many others out there also. I love my Beast and Sbach, but for learning tricks they don't come close to the Super zoom or its kin.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,864 Posts
OK, where did Chuck go?

He promised us video. Said he had a gig Sat nite, but would get it up Sunday - looks like it's Monday there now. Hope he didn't overdo something Sat nite.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,112 Posts
He put a vid on the regular Sbach thread but mine stops just as he gets to the unboxing

Might see if it works better on my laptop when I get home later...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
None of the above. Get a decent larger profile foamy, preferably in EPP foam. Way easier to learn on, way more stable, way more durable, fly in more breeze. My favorite for starters is the Hacker Super Zoom, but there are many others out there also. I love my Beast and Sbach, but for learning tricks they don't come close to the Super zoom or its kin.
My trusty ole SZ 4D dating back to my 72Mhz days.
She's 2.4Ghz now.

Awesome with Hacker motor and Hyp EX (3S) 900mAh 45C batts.

Ever pulled ff a lunar tail touch??

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrex View Post
I think the Sbach would be the better choice.
or you might try this:
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-30-E...-Pitts-M12.htm
This plane is great fun and really easy to learn 3D Plus its EPP, which makes it almost bullet proof!
+1 on both points. (Although, I don't have that Pitts; I have its Twisted Hobbys cousin, the Extra Slick, which also is great.)

Word on the street is that TH is coming out with a smaller EPP model -- maybe in the 16-20" wingspan range -- hopefully in time for the indoor season. (For those of us who don't have huge indoor spaces..........)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
My trusty ole SZ 4D dating back to my 72Mhz days.
She's 2.4Ghz now.

Awesome with Hacker motor and Hyp EX (3S) 900mAh 45C batts.

Ever pulled ff a lunar tail touch??

rc
Never tried that one. Bad old eyes don't see good enough. I've beat mine up about every way you can imagine. Thought it was gone once, it spent 3 days and nights in the middle of a huge corn field. Looked every day and lucked out finally. Everything still works though, but hey, I got those expensive $4 hk servos, $15, hk motor, $13, hk battery, $8 hk receiver so it should survive tough times. Come to think of it, it's probably cheaper than an Sbach.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
Hi Chuck,

It has been one year i used to follow your vid on youtube... Thank's for your great works my friend ! Because of you i discovered the UMX world, in particular, the umx sbach 342... What a plane !!! I already change it in AS3X version, now eflite did it but i am so happy with the original one and his wonderfull color shame... i wont change...

Just a world about what i discovered... With time the ailerons "hinge" (sorry for my poor english because i used to speak french...) begin to be "floating" and therefore the AS3X loose precision and makes the ailerons going like crasy. So what i did (and i think it will be a case for the new umx sbach 3D), is to replace the ailerons "hinge" (wich are originally made of scotch) by small plastique hinge i glue in both the wing and the ailerons. It gives more precision to the ailerons, it works better and it is more durable than the scotch type of ailerons fixations...

If someone is having this kind of problem i can post photos of what i did to this fabulous little plane.

Best Regards from Belgium to all and especially to Chuck !
FredM69 is offline Find More Posts by FredM69
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,112 Posts
Very true my friend

I'm pretty sure that these airframes (the tail in particular) are based around 1S power. IMHO 2S is pushing this design to the limit.

As for those of us, myself included, that are running 3S power, we should really beef things up to help avoid any issues...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredM69 View Post
......i can post photos of what i did to this fabulous little plane.......
Absolutely!

I'd like to see them.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chuck,

It has been one year i used to follow your vid on youtube... Thank's for your great works my friend ! Because of you i discovered the UMX world, in particular, the umx sbach 342... What a plane !!! I already change it in AS3X version, now eflite did it but i am so happy with the original one and his wonderfull color shame... i wont change...

Just a world about what i discovered... With time the ailerons "hinge" (sorry for my poor english because i used to speak french...) begin to be "floating" and therefore the AS3X loose precision and makes the ailerons going like crasy. So what i did (and i think it will be a case for the new umx sbach 3D), is to replace the ailerons "hinge" (wich are originally made of scotch) by small plastique hinge i glue in both the wing and the ailerons. It gives more precision to the ailerons, it works better and it is more durable than the scotch type of ailerons fixations...

If someone is having this kind of problem i can post photos of what i did to this fabulous little plane.

Best Regards from Belgium to all and especially to Chuck !
I had to rehinge my ailerons with floppy disk material, because the 100% duty cycle of the AS3X eventually ripped the tape hinges loose.

What was funny, was even with an aileron dangling off the plane, the AS3X compensated for it with the good aileron and the plane still flew rock steady.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
Yes this AS3X technology is awsome !!!
FredM69 is offline Find More Posts by FredM69
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:05 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,112 Posts
Quote:
With pleasure !!!
FredM69,

That is a very tidy flight case you have there! Is that an SR120 heli?
Might just have to copy you there
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
+1 on both points. (Although, I don't have that Pitts; I have its Twisted Hobbys cousin, the Extra Slick, which also is great.)

Word on the street is that TH is coming out with a smaller EPP model -- maybe in the 16-20" wingspan range -- hopefully in time for the indoor season. (For those of us who don't have huge indoor spaces..........)

Oh yeah!! I'd scoop up a small twisted indoor as soon as it was released.

Oh and how did you get that photo of Joel's indoor flying spot?

Quote:
With pleasure !!!
How did you do that with that case? I'd have to hire a full time CAD designer to make all that fit in one case!! Do you have blueprints/designs?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon