Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:36 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
could you please provide link to digikey parts
http://www.digikey.com/

Female UMX (PH) Connector - Plane Side - 455-1705-ND (http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...Words=455-1705)

Male UMX (PH) Connector - Battery Side 455-1126-ND (http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1126-ND/527357)

Pins for the Male Connector - 455-1318-1-ND (http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...18-1-ND/608807)

Take your time soldering, on the female sockets you can actually heat the pin up enough to melt the plastic housing enought to move them. It takes a very small amount. The pins for the male terminal are tiny so just a tad of solder is needed. I solder them and then used some pliers to bend the tabs doen around the soldered joint (or you could cut them off). Once the pin is soldered up they click into the male housing. I got enough for 50 connectors and I would have been able to only buy 7 with the pigtails attached.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:42 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I love this thing, it flies straight as an arrow for me! I got the tail beefed up last niight as well.. Probably do the same thing to my beast to prepare for the 3S powah!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:17 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The 325 is truly 12C (written on the pack as well) and trust me, it can take it! It's kind of funny when you have a bunch of them, and want to charge them in parallel! That's almost 4 amp for one single batteries, so if you have a lot, you need a really beefy charger, just for charging some tiny batteries. That's a very nice problem though!
Not 100% but I charged one of my 300 Nano packs at 4c and it charged in 11min
will up it to 5c to see how long that takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Sure you are aware, but you haven't had to trim it with the transmitter have you? I have done this not thinking about the as3x system. It does not like transmitter trims in the mix. I have heard no more than 4 clicks, but I'm not sure even less than this confuse it somewhat.
I don't need much trim on my Sbach if any
yesterday it was that Ail that were going a little nuts while flying with the 2300kv motor.. with that motor being so quiet you can really hear the as3x working
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:35 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Not 100% but I charged one of my 300 Nano packs at 4c and it charged in 11min
will up it to 5c to see how long that takes
The Nano-Tech take 5C. I, myself, accidentally charged 4 of them at 12C. I knew one of those days, I would make a mistake, and I surely did! I found out because I very quickly got the beep for the balancing stage, so, I knew something was wrong. Batteries were not even warm. I probably added about 25 cycles on them since then, and they are still as good as my other ones. I would not recommend that at all though.

Normally, I don't charge them at more than 3C, and I would say most of the time, around 1C.
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,257 Posts
I need to make some connectors to charge 6 of these packs at the same time on my balance board.. 6 lipos charged in 11min or so.. Heck yeah!
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
lol at brushless.. that would be sweet....
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
I've been charging the NanoTechs @3 C since new---They don't even show a hint of being warm...On HK's specs for these batteries they list 2C as the max---I'm thinking this is a misprint..Oh, and at 3C it takes about 15 minutes to charge a batt from 3.75v to 4.20v

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Man, I love this thing more and more. I actually pulled the Mig out for the first time since I bought the Sbach and it felt like a SLUG. I was so bored of it, I put it away after one flight and it remained there the whole rest of the day.

I did have a rather exciting moment, following the Mig flight. I had switched my ailerons to high rates and forgot to change it back when I pulled out the Sbach. I thought it rolled fast before - it was a blue and black blur! I will DEFINITELY be switching to high rates here pretty soon.

This thing has me questioning how badly I really want that new Corsair. I'd LOVE to have a bigger Sbach to fly - anyone got any suggestions??
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Holy cow! 12C charging?? I've got the chargers to do that (2x200W) but my TP's are only 25C 250's, so I think I'd better stick to 5C charging... like is says I should... right on the pack. Am I being a wuss?
Erkq,

No. Those packs are not designed for 12c charging! Only the newer G6 65c packs are designed for that. Their G6 45c packs are designed for 8c charging, and most of their current lower-c packs are rated for 5c charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
A year ago i thought 5C charging was the future....
5c charging has been available for awhile. Those of us who use Hyperions have been enjoying 5c charging with no reduction in performance or cycle-life for around 4 years. I have a number of larger Hyp 35c VX packs that are about 4 years old. After 300+ 5c charges, they still perform well in demanding apps, and none of them are the least bit puffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovector View Post
I wonder why Horizon put servo covers on the Carbon Cub and not this one.
Because the CC is designed for ROW flying, while the Sbach is a strictly a land-based plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
The 325 is truly 12C (written on the pack as well) and trust me, it can take it! It's kind of funny when you have a bunch of them, and want to charge them in parallel! That's almost 4 amp for one single batteries, so if you have a lot, you need a really beefy charger, just for charging some tiny batteries. That's a very nice problem though!
That's why I picked up a Thunder Power TP820CD for my larger stuff back when the 12c charge packs came out. Dual channels, 20A/400W max per channel, 8s support, 24 memories, and 10.5-28V input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
......I'd LOVE to have a bigger Sbach to fly - anyone got any suggestions??
This 18%-scale 53" wood & carbon-fiber electric from Pilot RC would be an excellent choice. And it comes from a manufacturer that's noted for producing top-notch planes with impeccable handling & flight-qualities: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/prc-sbach18-01.html

Also, Hacker makes a 39" EPP version: http://www.hacker-model.com/uk/sbach1000.html

If you want something with excellent engineering & build-quality, that flies precisely & can handle some wind, I'd definitely go with Pilot RC's version.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I need to make some connectors to charge 6 of these packs at the same time on my balance board.. 6 lipos charged in 11min or so.. Heck yeah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45 View Post
lol at brushless.. that would be sweet....
Would be?? It is.Why not go 8? http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...qlggbq9ielmmj3
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:31 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
BL55,

Fast parallel charging is better than peanut butter.
Even Jif!!

rc

My Sbach 3D ships today.
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
HK also has a parallel connector for 2S UMX style lipos that will charge 6 at once, with the power leads already soldered on...I have one and it works great, for only $3.99 you can't go wrong!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2S_Lipoly.html
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
HK also has a parallel connector for 2S UMX style lipos that will charge 6 at once, with the power leads already soldered on...I have one and it works great, for only $3.99 you can't go wrong!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2S_Lipoly.html
Oh... right... he sells ones with the connector leads already soldered on also. I just picked the wrong one to post.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,864 Posts
I suppose a big harness is neat, but I never really feel the need. I have two chargers and always charge the nano's at 5c. So I fly for around 6-7 minutes, recharge in around 11, so could almost fly continuously with 1 battery. Don't you just love these little 2 cell planes. I put my Yak up for slightly over 4 minutes and then have to put 2300 ma back in the $40 4-cell battery or fly my Sbach for 6+ minutes and put 110ma back in my $5 battery. And this is with a couple of cheapo 6 amp max charger which is way heavier than I really need for the 2c bats.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,007 Posts
Here's a nice foam Sbach that even comes with SFG's...Looks like the big brother to the UMX Sbach...

http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy894...h342-arf.html#
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene