HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Actually looks like they've increased the throws a lot. I mean they are not going to be 45*-50* but more than before. Probably just innermost holes on the old horns.

The elevator has a CF spar running most of the span. Adding a piece of round CF to the stab is easy if you really want it to be more solid. I've found that my V1 Sbach's stab didn't flex at all in 3D style flight, In high speed flight I found it flexed under load, but harriers, hovering, high alpha it was rock solid.

I do agree the nose looks fragile. However I don't fault HH for this, as if the plane is not crashed the nose will last forever. There are always design tradeoffs and I'd take a better flying plane over one designed to survive nose plants any day. I'm more concerned about the foam removed from the wing as the V1 had that foam spar running across the middle and never flexed at all, that being removed now may introduce some wing flex.

-Brian
sorry guys didnt mean to bring the party down.
thank you Chuck for another great vid.

Kalmon,
maybe i misspoke earlier.i agree the stab is plenty solid for high alpha slow harriers,hovers and such.guess its more the extreme aerobatics that causes the problem.after 15-20 flights on as3x sbach i noticed that the stab on both sides of fuse had flexed and were getting ready to tear.thinking it was from blenders,knife edge spins and such? i added cf reinforcement to the stab like beast has and havnt had problem since.had same issue with mig 15 and stab flex. just seems that they are still putting 1S tails on 2S planes.

i like to have lots of elevator throw on tap and the innermost hole just isnt enough on V1.after watching Chucks vid it appears maybe throws have been increased.hard to say.after extending control horn on V1 i was able to get elev travel to go as far as cutout in fuse allows.much better.super tight waterfalls...

you are totaly right about nose durability.i'll take proformance over crashability any day.just wish they had beefed V2 up more with stab reinforcement stock and maybe tweaked nose to get a little more strengh out of it.

to anyone who might have answer- why would they recommend 2500kv motor? i though several people had done testing and determined it was the dog of the bunch? after switching my beast 3d and as3x sbach to 2300 with 5043 i would never think about going back to 2500.what could benifits be?
daft punk is offline Find More Posts by daft punk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:06 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,430 Posts
WOW! just had the maiden of this beauty and WOW! it is different and the power i'm not sure whats going on, but it is heaps more powerful than my old Sbach and a lot snappier too

I had a flight with my old Sbach first and in the wind it was a little hard to handle but i still had a good flight. Then i put a couple of batteries through the new Sbach 3D so have a bit of footage. I might make a video first of the maiden of the new Sbach 3D, then make a second video showing the comparison as putting them all in one video will make it too long

Now the bad news it's Saturday night here and i have a gig to play tonight so won't be home tonight to process it, i'll do it when i get up tomorrow

yes i really do like this new plane, loved my old Sbach now i have a new 3D Sbach, yes one very happy chucky

cheers
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:40 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Can you use some of your band's music as the soundtrack for your vid?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:56 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Can you use some of your band's music as the soundtrack for your vid?

thought about this, but we only play covers, so copyright is still there

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:03 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,281 Posts
Sounds like another little gem Chuck.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:25 AM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,196 Posts
Wow, this I definitely have to get.

Ive been looking for another ultra micro 3d plane and was thnking of the Beast 3d when this got my attention. probably gonna get this then the Beast sometime else. Where can I get this? HH is out of stock and other sites have to preorder. Just love this plane....top of my list

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
joker - you can't get it yet - in a month or two - maybe. If they do good anyway, or if like the last couple of releases, maybe 4-5 months.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
454 Posts
Sometimes it is better to wait!
I really wanted a Beast 3D and searched all around found one, and it had a bad brick.
ESC quit second flight and elevator stuck in down. Nose in from about 50'.
Sent it back and got a new one (great customer service HH!).
So I should have waited for the new ones with the better brick.
So even though it is hard when you want the new plane, there is nothing wrong with a little patience.
vrex is online now Find More Posts by vrex
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,196 Posts
Yeah...then maybe I'll get the Beast 3D...2nd on my list

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:31 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
Heaps more powerful? Dang! The V1 is no slouch with the power. Mine eats the field in no time. The new paint scheme looks great.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Come on Chuck - what's more important getting us a video or out playing music, having fun and making money? That stuff can't hold a candle to making us happy. Tell them you have a headache.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Come on Chuck - what's more important getting us a video or out playing music, having fun and making money? That stuff can't hold a candle to making us happy. Tell them you have a headache.
Or that you used your guitar strings (or drum sticks, or else) to re-inforce one of your airplane!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:01 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
925 Posts
Hi all, hi Mike,

nice to see another great As3X model from Horizon.
Good thing to upgrade the SBach with As3X...furthermore to get benefit with this (running) production line.

Hard to see when you have the old one... but I wouldn't buy the 3D SBach if my old one is in good conditions

Hope you are busy in creation new aerobatic models like SBach /Beast...want a really "new one" in my fleet.
Thanks for the last great UMX models.
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Last edited by SLK Count; Sep 16, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:37 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Or that you used your guitar strings (or drum sticks, or else) to re-inforce one of your airplane!
LOL! I hear that in a pinch, drumsticks can be substituted for wing & stab tubes, and guitar strings can be pressed into service for pull/pull rudder setups & rigging. Lends a new meaning to the phrase, 'tuning the airframe', doesn't it?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined May 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Wow, this I definitely have to get.

Ive been looking for another ultra micro 3d plane and was thnking of the Beast 3d when this got my attention. probably gonna get this then the Beast sometime else. Where can I get this? HH is out of stock and other sites have to preorder. Just love this plane....top of my list

-joker
As a first umx 3d plane, which plane would be better for practicing 3d? sbach 3d or beast 3d? durability of a biplane vs a single? i can only get one so im really on the fence between the two.
thisguy436 is offline Find More Posts by thisguy436