HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Looks good! Seems like you got her figured out. Coming in hot with these 2S planes are the key.

BTW - My legs are ginormous! Cute kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Well, a little advice from folks on the forum and viola! Decent, consistent landings!

Had her out today in calmer conditions and shes' even more fun. Definitely finding that I have to keep pushing the nose down when coming in for landing, which, against all odds, would indicate that she's tail heavy. Going to play around with the CG a bit and see if I can correct this.

Split my prop and broke a wheel pant because I didn't keep the nose down and/or the throttle up on one of the landings - it's an awful noise when that prop hits the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKsXr...ature=youtu.be
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
That awful noise, like a squeal? That's what made me learn to land the Sbach correctly. I read up like you did and went out one calm morning and flew a whole battery with low passes, touch and go's and landings. That did the trick. I was trying to land the Sbach (and my Beast) like I learned to land the T-28. Come in low and straight and cut the throttle. I kept "plop landing" with the squeal or nose over until I learned to come in under power.
Mike
EXACTLY. That's my only fear with these AS3X planes - they'll teach you to land VERY dangerously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Looks good! Seems like you got her figured out. Coming in hot with these 2S planes are the key.

BTW - My legs are ginormous! Cute kid!
Hah, you could hear that? Her shadow was stretched out by the evening sun. Not sure, but she might have her daddy wrapped around her little finger.

But don't tell HER that.

EDIT/ADDITION: I've been running my Hyperion 240's (2S) for 4 minutes each pretty much WOT (I just can't help myself). Kept meaning to see how much it was draining them and finally checked the four I flew today - None of them had discharged more than 50% after 4 minutes. I think I'm going to bump up to 5 minutes and see how that goes. I MIGHT even see how this thing flies at 3/4 throttle. Maybe. . . .
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by whichwaysup; Oct 17, 2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Added battery commentary
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,247 Posts
got mine last night, and can't wait to fly it!!

DANG WIND
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Chicken!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:57 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Chicken!!!!
Maybe
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
I would be too. It was gusting over 10 yesterday and it was still fun, but if it had been any stronger there's NO WAY I would have risked it. Thing is just to pretty to do that to!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Just went out to fly mine and when i got to the school it was breezy as all get out. Using the Wind Meter app for Iphone it showed 14-16mph winds so I guess ill have to wait for another day.. and YES I AM CHICKEN
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45 View Post
Just went out to fly mine and when i got to the school it was breezy as all get out. Using the Wind Meter app for Iphone it showed 14-16mph winds so I guess ill have to wait for another day.. and YES I AM CHICKEN
Wind meter app works by sound of the wind on a mic? Gosh. I wish there was an app for making me a sandwich, I'm getting hungry.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45 View Post
Buck-buck-buck... bu-KAWWW... buck
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
yeah Mike thats what I figured. I checked with TWC it was about 10mph at that time according to them. And now to erkq.. Yep if you knew how many planes I have destroyed you would understand my caution. Actually about lost my champ today knowing better than to try and fly it.. was sure glad to get it on the ground. Then nosed the UM T-28 down attempting to belly land it. now it's shot because of the glue I used...lol So wasnt gonna take the risk on my BEAUTIFUL NEW SEXY BLUE SBACH...LOL
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,282 Posts
I can mark "Maiden a micro plane in 20 mph wind" off of my things to do list. I made no attempts to taxi it out to the runway. I walked out, pointed it into the wind, set it down on the pavement and let it rip. It was bobbling up and down like mad but it held its course, never once doing anything unpredictable. I normally would not fly my largest planes in wind like this but... in gyros, we trust. I mostly just flew it around in tight figure 8's. The sun was already down and it was hard to see so I kept it close. I did some loops and rolls and simple stuff for about 4 minutes per pack and had no problems landing it smoothly into the wind. It felt better with the heavier 200 pack. I flew it completely stock so it felt a bit more tame than my other Sbach. I've adjusted the older one for longer throws and will do the same for this one soon. Maybe the weekend will be a bit more calm.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:43 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,107 Posts
Just got back from flying my two Sbach 3Ds in a 20 mph wind. A lesson for some of you here if you hit hard on the nose. A few posts back I mentioned I hit hard on the nose on the runway with my first Sbach,, she developed a real bad tail oscillation in pitch direction at full speed level flight after that. I went an bought a 2nd one ( can't have too many of these little gems. ) after flying all day with that one had a real bad botched landing resulting in her coming down pretty hard on the nose AGAIN!!! DOH!!!! Then that one got the same tail wiggle at full speed level flight. My working Theory was a bent prop adapter, as it seemed a tiny bit rougher. Soooo,,,, went out and got two prop adapters for beast and two new props,, changed them both out. First adapter clearly had a bend in it, second I had to look at very very closely then I saw a very subtle but perceptable bend. Used stock black nose cone on one and orange nose cone from v1 for other. Went out and flew both just now in 20 mph wind gusting to 23. They were a handful in that wind but did pretty good,,, but bottom line,,, tail wiggle in both planes COMPLETELY gone!!!! Yeah!!!!
So if you find that after a hard nose in that you suddenly have a tail wiggle in fast level flight, you probably have a bent prop adapter .
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:46 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Just got back from flying my two Sbach 3Ds in a 20 mph wind. A lesson for some of you here if you hit hard on the nose. A few posts back I mentioned I hit hard on the nose on the runway with my first Sbach,, she developed a real bad tail oscillation in pitch direction at full speed level flight after that. I went an bought a 2nd one ( can't have too many of these little gems. ) after flying all day with that one had a real bad botched landing resulting in her coming down pretty hard on the nose AGAIN!!! DOH!!!! Then that one got the same tail wiggle at full speed level flight. My working Theory was a bent prop adapter, as it seemed a tiny bit rougher. Soooo,,,, went out and got two prop adapters for beast and two new props,, changed them both out. First adapter clearly had a bend in it, second I had to look at very very closely then I saw a very subtle but perceptable bend. Used stock black nose cone on one and orange nose cone from v1 for other. Went out and flew both just now in 20 mph wind gusting to 23. They were a handful in that wind but did pretty good,,, but bottom line,,, tail wiggle in both planes COMPLETELY gone!!!! Yeah!!!!
So if you find that after a hard nose in that you suddenly have a tail wiggle in fast level flight, you probably have a bent prop adapter .
Also after prop strike check the prop. These little props get nicks in the ends that throw the balance off as well!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Also after prop strike check the prop. These little props get nicks in the ends that throw the balance off as well!

-Brian
So a split an inch down the prop - is that bad?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:07 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Matt,

I don't have a Sbach 3D...yet.

I do have a couple hundred flights on my 3Sbach/5043.
Had to add a cf rod to the horizontal stab to stop the high speed flutter.

Trust me on this one...
WOT snaps are almost quicker than the eye!
I've caught myself many times, checking to see if the wings were still attached.
These small planes can handle very violent stuff.
I love over-powered UMX planes!!

rc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post

-Brian
I checked that ,, the one that had worst wobble had a couple of really tiny nicks,, other one that had a smaller tail wiggle had no nicks.
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74