Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
HOLY SMOKES.

She's fun. Go buy one.

I stayed very high, so I apologize that it is a speck most of the time in the video. I'm glad I did, though, because on that second flight, something went very wrong. It got into the sun, I lost orientation, and then I'm fairly convinced the aileron pushrod pushed through the control horn, because you can see at 3:20 her begin a flat spin down, down, down, down right over a busy road. I thought for sure I'd lost her, but the pushrod must have come back through, because suddenly I had control again and brought her back.
Agreed GO buy one!!

You battery placement was really far forward in the first 5 sec of the vid. try moving them back a fair bit. Your described pull in KE confirms it. With the CG right the plane has almost 0 pull in KE.

Second on the out of control. It was very small but it looked more like a elevator stuck, unless you were holding elevator stick. It had the typical flip flop descent. What happens is the servo stick at full up or down. And the plane pulls hard stalls and flips right or left, repeating until the servo unsticks or the ground unsticks it

On mine the elevator sticks at full down. Even with the travel limited to 90% on the down travel. I'm going to de-oxit it and see if that fixes it. Needless to say I've gotten better at inadvertent inverted harriers.

Here is a tip: If it ever happens again, As quickly as possible go 0 throttle and release the sticks. This will very quickly tell you what is stuck. Now you know what you'll have to do to get her down.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
WWU,

Nice flying! Great job getting her back home after the loss of control! That takes cool nerves & a lot of skill. And then you nailed the landing! Nice greaser!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:22 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,082 Posts
Thanks Joel - Just had a chance to watch yours as well - VERY nice flying. Your knife edges confirm what Brian was saying - I'll work on my CG.

And Brian - Good call on the Deoxit - I hadn't even considered that the servo might have gotten stuck! That actually makes more sense than the pushrod pushing through the control horn, since I've never had THAT come unstuck!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,082 Posts
Here's the actual maiden if anyone's interested. Not too exciting, kept her pretty high, but you can hear some of my "raw" reactions. At 3:51, you can see it drop straight and level when I cut the power off and gave it full back stick. it is SO cool to see.

Sbach 342 3d Maiden (6 min 17 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
what app is that you were using>>>>?????
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,082 Posts
for the wind speed? A VERY high tech app - the weather channel app. Not too accurate, but wanted to give an idea of what the wind was doing. The wind actually kicked up a bit throughout the flight - gusting to 10 mph, but you really wouldn't know it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
If you do this DO NOT JUST CUT THE OLD TAP WIRES!!!!!! If you just cut them you can short the wires. Cut them one at a time and then use tape or something to make sure they do not touch together. Heck even the metal in the scissors will short the wires while cutting if you don't cure them one at a time.

-Brian
Yes, yes to everything. I didn't think this needed saying in this crowd. I used heat-shrink on the ends, then folded over and taped. And, yes, cut one at a time!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Joel - Just had a chance to watch yours as well - VERY nice flying. Your knife edges confirm what Brian was saying - I'll work on my CG.

And Brian - Good call on the Deoxit - I hadn't even considered that the servo might have gotten stuck! That actually makes more sense than the pushrod pushing through the control horn, since I've never had THAT come unstuck!
Thanks! Regarding KE - as Brian noted, you'll get pitch-coupling if the CG is off even a little bit. If the plane pulls to the canopy during KE, it's nose-heavy. If it tucks toward the belly, it's tail-heavy. Mine was a bit tail-heavy during both flights. I was happy to find that it's still a bit tail-heavy with a TP 325 all the way back. I'm betting that it will be about neutral with a Hyp 500 35c all the way back. This gives us a very wide choice of packs. Compared to the other UMX planes, it looks like the S3D can accommodate a much wider range of pack weights & still maintain a neutral CG. Kudos to HH for that!

Speaking of control surface lock-ups - I noticed that the geometry of the rudder linkage isn't the best on mine. The pushrod intersects the control horn at an obtuse angle. Because of this, it doesn't take very much force on the rudder to make the z-bend slip through the horn. I've had it happen on the ground a couple of times when I inadvertently bumped the rudder while taking the plane out of the box. For those who have not done so already - I suggest checking the rudder linkage geometry.

Joel
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
. . . with something blue in my hot little hands. . . .

Man, this thing is even better looking in real life - pics don't do it justice. Unfortunately, it was pitch dark AND blowing 15-20 when I picked it up, so no maiden to report yet.

She's all bound, the manual's been read, the SFG's have been put on, taken off, put on, taken off, put on . . .

Gave her a shot of full throttle while holding her. I can't wait to send her vertical tomorrow a.m.! Man, that motor just sounds nice.

Anyone know how to remove the wheel pants without breaking them off? I mean BEFORE the first landing. I figure their not going to last long and I think they look kind of cheap anyway. I might have to get a set set of the shapeways ones.

A little surprised not to see Joel's report yet - Guess he was serious when he said "story at 11!!"

There will be no sleep tonight.
The wheel pants unscrew. I couldn't get mine off until I got out the magnifying lens and saw very tiny threads. This was V1 by the way.
Thanks for all the reports guys. What I need is a comparison between the new Sbach and a AS3X converted Sbach. Anyone?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
It's 60 F & partly cloudy. There is a light breeze blowing straight down the runway @ 6-12 MPH. Tx, hatcam, and flight packs are charged. My tach & a 5030 prop are in the flight-bag. I believe it is time to fly!

Today, I plan to shoot some footage with the Hyp 500 & factory prop, do static RPM testing with both props & the three packs, and shoot some footage with the 5030 & each of the three packs.

Joel
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It's 60 F & partly cloudy. There is a light breeze blowing straight down the runway @ 6-12 MPH. Tx, hatcam, and flight packs are charged. My tach & a 5030 prop are in the flight-bag. I believe it is time to fly!

Today, I plan to shoot some footage with the Hyp 500 & factory prop, do static RPM testing with both props & the three packs, and shoot some footage with the 5030 & each of the three packs.

Joel
Planning on trying the 2300kv/5043 in her sometime too? I think mine will be in the LHS today. I'm heading out with some charged packs and a 2300/5043 to put in her. I'd be curious what you think.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:11 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Sweet! I was planning on putting a 5030 on her right out of the box. Really interested in the performance of the 500mah pack.

Arriving tonight but I won't get to fly her until tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Joel
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:37 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
So...does anyone have a comparison between a AS3X converted Sbach V1 and the new Sbach? And what about the new colors? Any new problems with orientation?
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
So...does anyone have a comparison between a AS3X converted Sbach V1 and the new Sbach? And what about the new colors? Any new problems with orientation?
Mike
I haven't had a problem yet with the new colors, but the old colors were way better for me anyway. It was so much easier to see and tell which end was up with the old colors. I may have to figure out how to paint this thing.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
oh, fellows..hard to read your postings and see these nice videos
I want to wait but it seems that I have order my 3D next time ---want to see how she goes in the air...snap rolls and so on...
She has to fly hard acrobatics at my sticks- some of you know my Sbach V1 vid from the past
Hmmm.....these UMX models are a real virus
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count