SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Maidened my Sbach yesterday. Absolutely beautiful day but ~10-12mph winds had me a bit concerned, and the li'l booger handled 'em beautifully!

She's quick! Really gotta go easy on the sticks (more, later) & stay on top of things, paying attention to what you're doing & its relation to wind direction. I was mildly surprised how well it penetrates into the wind; expecting almost standstills but not the case at all. One thing though - when you turn onto a downwind leg, it gets gone in a hurry!!

Re 'the sticks'. I had 3 rates set up on my X9303; first the 'book' low & high rates on center & forward clicks of a 3-position switch, plus what I termed 'mild-low' rate on the 3rd position. Basically, the latter was just the standard low rates with a bit more expo. In the flights - got in 4 for the day - it responded so quickly to inputs it was initially a matter of turn & correct, turn & correct....with a 'save' or four thrown in here & there. I actually crashed twice, but getting off the throttle & pulling up almost in time resulted in no bad damage; worst being a bent wheel pant & the spinner popped off in the other.

After the experience - before next session I'm gonna add about half-again more expo to all 3 settings; oughta reduce some of the 'quick' & smooth things out nicely. There's one other downside note I'll make; relating to its size. In the darkening stages after sunset, it quickly got easy to lose orientation. Trying to get in one more (fourth) flight I had to back off any aerobatics & finally decided to bring 'er on in early. I'll note my ol' eyes ain't their sharpest any more, & YMMV but something to keep in mind.

One further comment about motor power & the 180 Nano-Techs. One li'l surprise when I broke 'er out of the box was, our club's Jet Jockey let out an expression of delight - turns out he'd recently bought & has been flying a UMX Beast. I let him take the 342 up for a spin, & not a minute in, he commented it was much faster than his Beast. He asked what LiPo I's flying & I told him; & he responded that he'd read they seemed 'hotter'. Later he came over & asked to borrow one of mine to try in his Beast for comparison, & afterwards said it definitely was - & a very noticeable difference. Also noted he'd been flying a 'different brand' 300mAh but the tiny bit of additional weight really dogged it down.

Anyway, hopefully all that's not too much report 'jabber'....about all that's left to say is, definitely looking forward to the next round!

Is this an AS3X Sbach or an original?

I fly My AS3X on full rates with no Expo. Low rates + Expo would neuter the plane unless someone was a real hammerstick. When hovering as is, I wished it had MORE throw.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:20 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
LHS just called. Film at 11....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:29 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovector View Post
My new bird is supposed to be here Tuesday. To feed my addiction while I have been waiting, I got motivated to run the wattmeter on my Beast to see the difference between the NT 260's vs the Mini 210's. I'll have to borrow someone's stock pack so I can get those numbers posted.

Stock motor (2500kv)
Stock prop (5x2.75)

Miniaviation 210mah 2s 25c:
Volts - 7.17
Amps - 2.66
Watts - 19.9

Turnigy 260mah 2s 35-70c:
Volts - 7.67
Amps - 2.76
Watts - 22.1

A 10% increase in power, that's going to be noticeable. That is only the first charge on the Turnigys, I expect the numbers to get better after break-in. Here's a buddy code for anyone interested.
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...E-B7BB9022B3DA
Wow!! Interesting numbers!!! Glad I ordered a few of those packs. :-)
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Is this an AS3X Sbach or an original?

I fly My AS3X on full rates with no Expo. Low rates + Expo would neuter the plane unless someone was a real hammerstick. When hovering as is, I wished it had MORE throw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Sheeze.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Joel
Wahooo!
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Just got back from flying my converted Sbach. SO easy and precise. With all you guys getting new Sbachs I'm a bit jealous. I wouldn't cry if my old Sbach somehow wore out or something.
Mike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Joel
That's too late. Film @ 6:00?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Maidened my Sbach yesterday. Absolutely beautiful day but ~10-12mph winds had me a bit concerned, and the li'l booger handled 'em beautifully!

She's quick! Really gotta go easy on the sticks (more, later) & stay on top of things, paying attention to what you're doing & its relation to wind direction. I was mildly surprised how well it penetrates into the wind; expecting almost standstills but not the case at all. One thing though - when you turn onto a downwind leg, it gets gone in a hurry!!

Re 'the sticks'. I had 3 rates set up on my X9303; first the 'book' low & high rates on center & forward clicks of a 3-position switch, plus what I termed 'mild-low' rate on the 3rd position. Basically, the latter was just the standard low rates with a bit more expo. In the flights - got in 4 for the day - it responded so quickly to inputs it was initially a matter of turn & correct, turn & correct....with a 'save' or four thrown in here & there. I actually crashed twice, but getting off the throttle & pulling up almost in time resulted in no bad damage; worst being a bent wheel pant & the spinner popped off in the other.

After the experience - before next session I'm gonna add about half-again more expo to all 3 settings; oughta reduce some of the 'quick' & smooth things out nicely. There's one other downside note I'll make; relating to its size. In the darkening stages after sunset, it quickly got easy to lose orientation. Trying to get in one more (fourth) flight I had to back off any aerobatics & finally decided to bring 'er on in early. I'll note my ol' eyes ain't their sharpest any more, & YMMV but something to keep in mind.

One further comment about motor power & the 180 Nano-Techs. One li'l surprise when I broke 'er out of the box was, our club's Jet Jockey let out an expression of delight - turns out he'd recently bought & has been flying a UMX Beast. I let him take the 342 up for a spin, & not a minute in, he commented it was much faster than his Beast. He asked what LiPo I's flying & I told him; & he responded that he'd read they seemed 'hotter'. Later he came over & asked to borrow one of mine to try in his Beast for comparison, & afterwards said it definitely was - & a very noticeable difference. Also noted he'd been flying a 'different brand' 300mAh but the tiny bit of additional weight really dogged it down.

Anyway, hopefully all that's not too much report 'jabber'....about all that's left to say is, definitely looking forward to the next round!
Flew mine all weekend at a big RC field with some bigger 3D planes there everyone commented on how stable it was for being so little. She's very very quick!!! On one flight I was doing some hovering few feet off the runway, lost it she hammered in straight on the nose , not much damage except crinkled nose cone,, but the plastic prop adapter bent just tiny bit.,, caused a tinsy bit of motor vibration that caused the ASX in pitch plane to go nuts and wiggle in fast level flight. So Sat. Night went and Got Another Sbach ( I really like this plane) got another prop adapter. Next day flew new one and towards end of day sorta botched a landing approach came in nosed over real hard,, the. Started getting that same high speed tail wiggle Again. :-(,, not as bad this time,, I'm pretty sure it's cause is a bent prop adapter,,, at least that's my working Theroy for now
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
That's too late. Film @ 6:00?
Isn't turboparker EST? That would make it "film at" 8. 8PST for us. I"ll be looking for a SF Giants win by then though.
Mike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Flew mine all weekend at a big RC field with some bigger 3D planes there everyone commented on how stable it was for being so little. She's very very quick!!! On one flight I was doing some hovering few feet off the runway, lost it she hammered in straight on the nose , not much damage except crinkled nose cone,, but the plastic prop adapter bent just tiny bit.,, caused a tinsy bit of motor vibration that caused the ASX in pitch plane to go nuts and wiggle in fast level flight. So Sat. Night went and Got Another Sbach ( I really like this plane) got another prop adapter. Next day flew new one and towards end of day sorta botched a landing approach came in nosed over real hard,, the. Started getting that same high speed tail wiggle Again. :-(,, not as bad this time,, I'm pretty sure it's cause is a bent prop adapter,,, at least that's my working Theroy for now
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Good luck with all the maidens this week, the sbach with AS3X is one of the greatest flying treats someone could hope for.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
Ill replace prop adapters on BOTH planes and let you know if that fixes it. But something to watch out for
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
Ill replace prop adapters on BOTH planes and let you know if that fixes it. But something to watch out for
If I was you I'd look out more for the ground coming up and snatching the poor Sbach from the sky
Mike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
If I was you I'd look out more for the ground coming up and snatching the poor Sbach from the sky
Mike
Yes!! That IS a problem :-)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:59 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,140 Posts
These prop adapters shouldn't bend that easily I think though but if that's only problem with this great flying plane,, I'm ok with that