HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:34 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
is there one I can use on 4 blade props?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...achometer.html

Can be used up to 9 blades and it's $10. Mine seem very accurate, but I believe it's simply because the technology today is a given for such thing. (accuracy of any internal clock is simply amazing today, and cheap). This one is limited to only 100000rpm and original battery didn't last long though...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Last edited by RealGambler; Oct 14, 2012 at 06:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post

Can be used up to 9 blades and it's $10. Mine seem very accurate, but I believe it's simply because the technology today is a given for such thing. (accuracy of any internal clock is simply amazing today, and cheap). This one is limited to only 100000rpm and original battery didn't last long though...
what battery does it take?
are they hard to find?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:01 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:

.................original battery didn't last long though.......
aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh........I just ordered one, after I saw your favorable post -- but before you added those extra words about the battery not lasting...........

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,886 Posts
Anybody got any more flight reports? Was hoping to compare notes with some folks. Maybe everybody's weather was like ours. Yesterday was terrible and today worse. All day long wind was 16-19 with gusts at 28-30. I wasn't about to chance it.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:06 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
I was able to fly my converted plane in the calm tonight and the "harrier to landing" is beautiful. It will land slower than a T-28 or a Corsair.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:53 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Anybody got any more flight reports? Was hoping to compare notes with some folks. Maybe everybody's weather was like ours. Yesterday was terrible and today worse. All day long wind was 16-19 with gusts at 28-30. I wasn't about to chance it.
Mine is supposed to show up tomorrow, and the wind is supposed to be in the single-digits all day. If all goes well, I plan to get in some flights with the Hyp 240, Hyp 320, TP 325 65c, and the new Hyp 500 35c packs. The HD hatcam will be rolling.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:48 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
hadda fly today with a few friends,had started out looking like rain but it only sprinkled abit
flew my many times crashed PZ Corsair,still flys great and flew the F14 but had a fail cause i put a flat battery in it and it just flouted to the ground ,but I soon soughted that out
Later...
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:44 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh........I just ordered one, after I saw your favorable post -- but before you added those extra words about the battery not lasting...........

Very sorry about that Pugsam... If you don't like it when you receive it, I'll paypal you back the money! Battery is a very typical pill size battery, in a very easy to remove socket. (CR2032 or maybe 2016 if my memory serve me right). I think the biggest problem is the fact that I was forgetting to turn it off after using it. Being LCD, I was expecting the battery to last long, but I guess it's the combination of a passive light sensor (resistive) and storing it in my tool box in the dark that killed the first battery quickly.

Replaced it with a dollar store battery (I buy all my battery pills from there) and so far so good. But now, I simply make sure I turn it off before I throw it in my toolbox. I guess it's not auto-turn off... For me it's not a big deal. In fact, being able to mesure 9 blades is more a of problem. It's a single push button to adjust the blades, so if you want to mesure 3 blades, then go back to two blades, you have to push the button 8 times. Nothing is perfect I guess, but hey, it's only $10 and it works.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:53 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Maidened my Sbach yesterday. Absolutely beautiful day but ~10-12mph winds had me a bit concerned, and the li'l booger handled 'em beautifully!

She's quick! Really gotta go easy on the sticks (more, later) & stay on top of things, paying attention to what you're doing & its relation to wind direction. I was mildly surprised how well it penetrates into the wind; expecting almost standstills but not the case at all. One thing though - when you turn onto a downwind leg, it gets gone in a hurry!!

Re 'the sticks'. I had 3 rates set up on my X9303; first the 'book' low & high rates on center & forward clicks of a 3-position switch, plus what I termed 'mild-low' rate on the 3rd position. Basically, the latter was just the standard low rates with a bit more expo. In the flights - got in 4 for the day - it responded so quickly to inputs it was initially a matter of turn & correct, turn & correct....with a 'save' or four thrown in here & there. I actually crashed twice, but getting off the throttle & pulling up almost in time resulted in no bad damage; worst being a bent wheel pant & the spinner popped off in the other.

After the experience - before next session I'm gonna add about half-again more expo to all 3 settings; oughta reduce some of the 'quick' & smooth things out nicely. There's one other downside note I'll make; relating to its size. In the darkening stages after sunset, it quickly got easy to lose orientation. Trying to get in one more (fourth) flight I had to back off any aerobatics & finally decided to bring 'er on in early. I'll note my ol' eyes ain't their sharpest any more, & YMMV but something to keep in mind.

One further comment about motor power & the 180 Nano-Techs. One li'l surprise when I broke 'er out of the box was, our club's Jet Jockey let out an expression of delight - turns out he'd recently bought & has been flying a UMX Beast. I let him take the 342 up for a spin, & not a minute in, he commented it was much faster than his Beast. He asked what LiPo I's flying & I told him; & he responded that he'd read they seemed 'hotter'. Later he came over & asked to borrow one of mine to try in his Beast for comparison, & afterwards said it definitely was - & a very noticeable difference. Also noted he'd been flying a 'different brand' 300mAh but the tiny bit of additional weight really dogged it down.

Anyway, hopefully all that's not too much report 'jabber'....about all that's left to say is, definitely looking forward to the next round!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:10 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Does anyone know when they are to ship from Horizon's site? I am assuming these were released from their California warehouse like the Spitfire and that is why most of you guys on the west coast got them in your LHS first.

Edit: They are showing in stock, hopefully mine will ship today.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,886 Posts
Mine was shipped from Illinois. Shipped on Thursday to lhs, picked up on Friday.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:03 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Great report starhopper and never too long. Its those kinds of details that make the rest of us a bit more careful on the maidens! You probably saved a few guys a lot more than a popped off spinner and bent wheel pant!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:07 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,527 Posts
Quote:
Very sorry about that Pugsam... If you don't like it when you receive it, I'll paypal you back the money!...........
LOL

You take the fun out of my griping, when you're all sincere and polite!

(You Canadians have a reputation for being like that.......)

Glad to hear, though, that the tach takes a mainstream battery, rather than one of those one-and-done jobbies for which no replacement can be found.

Meanwhile, I'm still stuck on which bird to get this in this procurement season: this S3D, the new AS3X Spit, the new TH Crack Yak Lite, or ??? (And I can't deal with "all of the above" as an answer......)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:24 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Pugsam you need to add the TH Crack Pitts to your list!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:42 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Pugsam -

Ive decided to hold off on the Spit for now. The sbach will likely be the next bird in tje hangar, followed closely by the big corsair. The spit and nano will have to wait till Santy Clause. Just too much mediocrity in the spit reviews when the sbach is only 40 bucks more. So as long as an inexpensive Beast 3d doesnt show up in the classifieds this is the plan i am sticking with.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings