HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2013, 05:39 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaFlash View Post
My Sbach 342 motor (2500Kv) stutters and will not spin. I tried other motor and it does same, suspect electronics because I have subbed motor from one to another etc and it comes back to this one plane.

Is there some kind of programming that might have been screwed up that I can try and reset or does this sound like a bad board? Could someone fix the board if there is a bad component?

I have done many binds and it keeps doing it. The first time I noticed it, I thought the motor was getting stuck on some part of the fuse, I manually spun the prop and it went back to normal for the rest of the batt. But the next batt it just kept doing this stutter and won't make a complete rotation, it just sputters at me.

I probably only have 20 flights on this bird. It has had a crash or two, I am a relatively new pilot.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Kevin
With multiple motors doing the same thing it is either the wires or the ESC. There are programming options, none that will cause this though. If you have a meter check resistance along the motor wires from the white connector to where they attach to the brick. It really sounds like a broken/cold solder wire there.

-----

WWU is there going to be an Inverza contest? I know the Mig contest kinda bombed, But that 2" off the deck pass between the legs was pretty sick!!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:30 PM
Figure 9 Expert
USA
Joined Feb 2007
665 Posts
I took the plane out today, winds were pretty strong. I had a lot of trouble maintaining control as soon as the plane got up to about 20mph the tail would oscillate side to side quite violently. I have experienced tail flutter before, this is different. The rudder was throwing side to side quite violently, enough so that the plane would become uncontrollable and the only thing left to do would be to try and salvage the impending crash. I checked servos everything appears fine, there isn't a lot more slop in the control surfaces than when it was new. What gives?

Has anyone seen this behavior before?
Chompers is offline Find More Posts by Chompers
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:44 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Balance your prop, improves everything on gyro planes!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:46 PM
Figure 9 Expert
USA
Joined Feb 2007
665 Posts
Perhaps it wasn't balanced well enough...
Old Jun 03, 2013, 06:49 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Did you already balance it?
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jun 03, 2013, 08:12 PM
Figure 9 Expert
USA
Joined Feb 2007
665 Posts
I used the tape method.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 09:18 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
1,618 Posts
Wow. what a day. Thanks to all for the advice on the landings. Ran through 8 batteries just practicing landings. I started getting the hand of it at the end. Had a few beautiful landings. The best ones were with no up elevator. All down elevator right until the end and then no elevator at all right at touchdown. Long roll out. Need to continue to work on it and shorten it.
However, I had to quit due to an aileron servo hanging up. Aparently something happened to it. Turning it manually, it has one spot on the gear that hangs up in the same spot. It hardly moves on 70%. Even at 100% it's really only moving in one spot. While screwing around with it, it burned me it was so hot. I supposed I have to buy a new one?
It looks like the sell the complete servo or the guts. I wonder if I could just purchase the guts instead of replacing the whole thing. Any one else experienced this?
Beaves is offline Find More Posts by Beaves
Old Jun 04, 2013, 06:44 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaves View Post
Wow. what a day. Thanks to all for the advice on the landings. Ran through 8 batteries just practicing landings. I started getting the hand of it at the end. Had a few beautiful landings. The best ones were with no up elevator. All down elevator right until the end and then no elevator at all right at touchdown. Long roll out. Need to continue to work on it and shorten it.
However, I had to quit due to an aileron servo hanging up. Aparently something happened to it. Turning it manually, it has one spot on the gear that hangs up in the same spot. It hardly moves on 70%. Even at 100% it's really only moving in one spot. While screwing around with it, it burned me it was so hot. I supposed I have to buy a new one?
It looks like the sell the complete servo or the guts. I wonder if I could just purchase the guts instead of replacing the whole thing. Any one else experienced this?
Sounds like a bad aileron servo. I'd give HH a call and explain that the servo is binding and overheating. As long as the plane was purchased new and not an E-bay purchase I'm fairly certain they'll just send you a new servo.

Landings, Try to maintain power on, and instead of flying it down holding forward on the elevator, start to pull back on the elevator on the downwind this will get the plane much slower then use the throttle to change the descent rate.

-Brian
Old Jun 04, 2013, 07:07 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
HH sells just the gear wheels for $1.50. They pop right off.

I've recessed my servo's into the wing so the gear is less exposed to danger.

For Landings, nothing beats the Harrier landing. The Sbach will land slower than a T-28 in harrier.

My Landing strip is 25 feet by 10 feet wide surrounded on 4 sides with plane breaking features and I can put the AS3X Sbach on the Runway with over 95% success rate. The only other planes that comes close is the Champ. The Polecat is around 70%, a T-28 is down around 50%. A P-51 around 30%, Sukhoi is around 10% and I don't even bother.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 04, 2013, 07:45 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
HH sells just the gear wheels for $1.50. They pop right off.

I've recessed my servo's into the wing so the gear is less exposed to danger.

For Landings, nothing beats the Harrier landing. The Sbach will land slower than a T-28 in harrier.

My Landing strip is 25 feet by 10 feet wide surrounded on 4 sides with plane breaking features and I can put the AS3X Sbach on the Runway with over 95% success rate. The only other planes that comes close is the Champ. The Polecat is around 70%, a T-28 is down around 50%. A P-51 around 30%, Sukhoi is around 10% and I don't even bother.
Yes the Sbach is like a harrier landing machine!

Here are a link to the HH parts:
AS3X-rated Servos
Replacement mechanics including motor

I couldn't find the gears only, maybe UNGN can add a link for that.

Though I say that if it failed in the first 10 flights and no crashes I'd call Horizon. My guess is that they'll warranty it.

-Brian
Old Jun 04, 2013, 08:43 AM
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Yes the Sbach is like a harrier landing machine!

Here are a link to the HH parts:
AS3X-rated Servos
Replacement mechanics including motor

I couldn't find the gears only, maybe UNGN can add a link for that.

Though I say that if it failed in the first 10 flights and no crashes I'd call Horizon. My guess is that they'll warranty it.

-Brian
I'll give them a call today and see if they'll send either the mechanics or the complete servo. Any idea how they are removed? It looks like I see tiny screws holding the servo on the wing, however, it's too small to tell. Could it just be glued on the wing with foam safe CA? If I replace just the mechanics, I don't see how they are removed either. Looks like maybe they screw in from the backside still requiring the servo itself to be removed and reinstalled. Thoughts?
Beaves is offline Find More Posts by Beaves
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:14 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Gears are EFLH1068
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:17 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaves View Post
I'll give them a call today and see if they'll send either the mechanics or the complete servo. Any idea how they are removed? It looks like I see tiny screws holding the servo on the wing, however, it's too small to tell. Could it just be glued on the wing with foam safe CA? If I replace just the mechanics, I don't see how they are removed either. Looks like maybe they screw in from the backside still requiring the servo itself to be removed and reinstalled. Thoughts?
The Servos are glued to the wing and just peel off. The screws hold the Rack to the board.

NEVER use CA to hold the linear servos to foam. It can wick into the internals and wreck them.

One of the Rubber cement grues like Foam-tac or UHU por, or low temp hot melt glue are much safer.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 09:29 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Gears are EFLH1068
Thanks for that link! I actually need one of these and this will save me a couple bucks from buying the mechanics with the motor.

Quote:
The Servos are glued to the wing and just peel off. The screws hold the Rack to the board.

NEVER use CA to hold the linear servos to foam. It can wick into the internals and wreck them.

One of the Rubber cement grues like Foam-tac or UHU por, or low temp hot melt glue are much safer.
+1 Don't use CA! I use RTV for electronics. It is very important to get the for electronics type as the normal silicone has an acetic cure that can corrode electronics. The methods UNGN posted all work too.

-Brian
Old Jun 04, 2013, 11:04 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
WWU is there going to be an Inverza contest? I know the Mig contest kinda bombed, But that 2" off the deck pass between the legs was pretty sick!!

-Brian
I do believe there needs to be one. Let's let folks get theirs (myself included).

Did you order one yet?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings