SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
Take a look at the vertical 4-points in the video. Thats using an E-Flite 2S 200mAH battery. Power on the stock set-up is big!

I recomend the 2S 180mAh for indoor or calm conditions outdoors where you'll feel the weight difference. If it gets a little breezy, use the 200mAh (UMX Gee Bee and MiG 15 battery). Wont feel the weight in a breeze and will get more power and duration.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
Thanks Mike!!

I'm truly glad you (HH) buckled under our enormous pressure and did an AS3X Sbach

I will be getting one, and by the way the blue colours are fantastic
No doubt I'll be stuffing 3S into it - the non AS3X Sbach (dare I say V1) was, sorry is, a screamer on 3S.

Now any chance of a UMX Radian (Pro)???

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,617 Posts
Yes, much-appreciated.....

......and sure to be much-anticipated!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:54 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,279 Posts
UMX Sbach 342 3D BNF Basic with AS3X Technology by E-flite (2 min 24 sec)
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:23 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
Take a look at the vertical 4-points in the video. Thats using an E-Flite 2S 200mAH battery. Power on the stock set-up is big!

I recomend the 2S 180mAh for indoor or calm conditions outdoors where you'll feel the weight difference. If it gets a little breezy, use the 200mAh (UMX Gee Bee and MiG 15 battery). Wont feel the weight in a breeze and will get more power and duration.
Mike,

Thanks for making an excellent plane even better! Yes, the Sbach has plenty of grunt in stock form for pretty much anything the pilot can dish out. But some of us have become addicted to flying the Beast 3D & Sbach on 3s - even with the stock electronics. So, far, none of us has fried an AS3X brick on 3s, however 3s is a bit of a crap-shoot with the non-AS3X bricks. Also, many of us fly with higher-c packs for the extra thrust & 5c+ charge capability. Also, you guys gave us three interchangeable motors. You expected that we'd be swapping them around, right? Sorta reminds me of hot-rodding back in the day when one could drop pretty much any GM engine into pretty much any GM chassis with minimal effort. Those were some fun times....

Bottom line is that you guys designed the Sbach & Beast airframes so well that they can handle a 100% increase in thrust and still retain their excellent flying characteristics. That is quite an accomplishment!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Mike,

Thanks for making an excellent plane even better! Yes, the Sbach has plenty of grunt in stock form for pretty much anything the pilot can dish out. But some of us have become addicted to flying the Beast 3D & Sbach on 3s - even with the stock electronics. So, far, none of us has fried an AS3X brick on 3s, however 3s is a bit of a crap-shoot with the non-AS3X bricks. Also, many of us fly with higher-c packs for the extra thrust & 5c+ charge capability. Also, you guys gave us three interchangeable motors. You expected that we'd be swapping them around, right? Sorta reminds me of hot-rodding back in the day when one could drop pretty much any GM engine into pretty much any GM chassis with minimal effort. Those were some fun times....

Bottom line is that you guys designed the Sbach & Beast airframes so well that they can handle a 100% increase in thrust and still retain their excellent flying characteristics. That is quite an accomplishment!

Joel
+100! Very well said!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Looks great!
TronZy is offline Find More Posts by TronZy
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
+100! Very well said!

-Brian
Thanks. There are few airframes in any scale that can reliably handle that much power for hundreds & hundreds of flights. And these planes can handle 200% power for 500+ flights on the factory servos, motor, and electronics, no less! I never in my wildest dreams would have guessed that we'd ever be playing around in the 300W/pound camp with anything this small. Yet here we are, flying two-ounce planes with over 3:1 thrust-to-weight ratios - that are equally at home flying in an indoor soccer court or outdoors in a 25 MPH wind. With some throttle-management, we're getting flight-times that are nearly the same as what we'd get with a 2s pack of the same capacity. My, how far we have come since the Sukhoi 26m was released around 4 years ago.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,522 Posts
I just seen the video.

The link on Eflites page doesn't work for me so I was glad someone posted it on here.
Thanks a bunch, I just got to get one now
It looks to handle the wind very well. I can see me putting a (3S?) 2300/5043 combo in there, possibly a 5030*3 later!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:16 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Great, another plane I may need to purchase...
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,431 Posts
A quote from the designer Mike Mcconville about the new plane from the old Sbach thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
Really glad to see the excitement about the new Sbach. I am really happy with it! Flies amazing! Here are a couple of points.

AS3X is tuned for this model. Goal is to get the maximumassist without oscillation. The tuning is different than our other models in order to get it.

The battery slot has been changed vs. the original model to allow the battery to go further back. More aft CG for 3D yet still very smooth with AS3X.

The CF reimforvrment is in reference to the CF on the stab. Did not add any additional to the fuse.

Motor is 2500Kv. IMO its MUCH better than the 2300 would be in it. Must bigger power and good duration.

Note this is a BNF Basic, meaning no battery or charger comes with it. I recommend the 2S 180mAh for indoor or calm weather flying. Use the 2S 200mAh (like supplied with the UMX Gee Bee and MiG 15) for breezy outdoor flying.

Hope you guys love it as much as I do!
well it's morning here another 3 hours and the delivery guy should drop of my new Sbach I'll get straight into it as soon as i get home from work so we should have close up photos by lunch time (Australian time 5 hours away) any shots people would like to see?

wow i am excited as it looks like good weather this weekend too so a maiden is on the cards Saturday

As for the delivery date, i personally believe these will not be put back months as we all know why the spitfire and others were held up, the servo problem would be fixed by know. I mean think about it? do you reckon they would announce another plane after all whats happened this year if it wasn't ready to ship?

i love my Sbach it's as stock as the day i got it 1 year ago and still all in one piece defiantly not a Newbies! plane thats for sure but a great plane that flys precise

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:27 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Chuck- always love watching your vids, looking forward to this one!

MM- Cool to have the designer chime in on a thread here! A tough thing to do given the fact that too many people are quick to hide behind keyboards with sometimes unwarranted and vitriolic commenting. Thanks for taking the time and caring!

I think the color scheme looks great but I'm a little worried that orientation might be tough...

I'm kind of gun shy on being a beta tester with all the servo issues with the Carbon Cub. That is one plane I really wanted but felt fortunate that I waited with all the servo issues. Darn shame...

That all being said, I bought a 130X right out of the gate and it had some serious quirks that were quickly sorted and now I love that heli. And I signed up to get the new Nano 'cause the MCPX has been one of my best bang for the buck heli purchases ever...

Sorry for the rambling...back to regular programming!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,853 Posts
I am pumped to see how you are like it and to see it flying more scale flight 3D flight looks just plain weird to me and would never fly a plane like that on purpose.

Also, if this thing gets pushed back to March, then I am ok with it. I will bitch about delays after that threshold, but will cheer anything before that.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:59 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
I'll get straight into it as soon as i get home from work so we should have close up photos by lunch time (Australian time 5 hours away) any shots people would like to see?
You know me Chuck... Two pictures, but that may be hard to do it right...

First picture: Want to see the battery space. On the latest Horizon video, we can see the battery going in all the way in (a la Beast, only top of battery showing). I figure the only way it's going so far in, is by going OVER the wing. So it must be sitting a little bit higher than in the previous Sbach. I'm just curious to see if that's truly the case (Or if they modified the wing?)

Second picture: Through the canopy so we can see if the receiver has been pushed back or not. Again, just being curious. If you can't do it, not a big deal.

I'm so glad we don't have to carve the battery tray anymore. No matter what Mike is saying, many of those old Sbach were nose heavy. Mine needed some serious foam carving. Look like the new one does take care of any C.G. problem we could have.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Its great that the Sbach is back! I like the price. BNF$140:

$13 x4 servos
$70 RX
$30 2500kv

Total= $152 worth of electronics!

There's no need to reinforce the vent area, just don't crash! I've taken out the plastic and put in 2 pieces of CF, didn't really help with the crash. So I took the cf out and the Sbach has been doing fine for the past few months, almost incident free.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5