HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex A Lott View Post
Hey gang. I just picked up mine for a very low price from a hobby show. No battery or charger so I got a great discount. I just got my batteries and I binded to my DX6i.

Here's my q.

I'm thinking that I should mix in flaperons. I wanted to hear from others who have tried this? Is it a good / bad idea? Can you tell me settings that have worked for you?
Bad idea. Flaperons don't work with AS3X. Only one aileron would have AS3X input if you put one on the aux channel like you have to for flaperons.

EDIT: Btw, the Sbach only comes in a "Basic" configuration without battery and charger. So he may have given you a bigger deal than he meant to!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Bad idea. Flaperons don't work with AS3X. Only one aileron would have AS3X input if you put one on the aux channel like you have to for flaperons.

EDIT: Btw, the Sbach only comes in a "Basic" configuration without battery and charger. So he may have given you a bigger deal than he meant to!
OMG. So, $85 for an unopened BNF set was a good deal?

So the Sbach is already running on 5 channels with the aileron servos running on two different channels. All the programming is done in Tx with no mods to the plane or the Rx so.... I think the AS3x will continue to work.

Thoughts?
Rex A Lott is offline Find More Posts by Rex A Lott
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:

So the Sbach is already running on 5 channels with the aileron servos running on two different channels. All the programming is done in Tx with no mods to the plane or the Rx so.... I think the AS3x will continue to work.

Thoughts?
That was a good deal, IMHO!

Nope, not gonna work... unless you think having AS3X correction on only one aileron is OK. The ailerons do not run on two different channels. It may physically look like they do, but they don't. They have to run separate plugs to each aileron for AS3X to work.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:50 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:

Thoughts?
Flaperons don't help the Sbach3D. First of all the Ailerons are using one logical channel. The brick has an internal "Y" for the two plugs. If you disable it it also disables the AS3X on the second aileron. This causes all kinds of bad handling. The plane will fly like a wounded duck.

I had a small amount of flaperon on my original non-AS3X Sbach. It only made a small difference in landing speed. I can land my AS3X Sbach at 1/3 or less the speed of the non-AS3X version.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:58 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,618 Posts
Quote:

Thoughts?

Rex,

Erkq & Brian are right. AS3X does not support dual-channel ailerons. It's as simple as that. All conventional UMX planes are set up from the factory for single-channel/dual servo ailerons with the Aux (CH 6) port internally configured for reversed CH 2 - and you can't change that on the tx. You have to first program the brick for 6-channel operation, which means that only the CH 2 aileron will get AS3X commands. The planes fly horribly with only one aileron getting AS3X commands. It causes severe adverse yaw, it can induce Dutch-roll, and it dramatically increases the tendency for tip-stalls. The planes stagger around the sky like drunken birds. Those who have tried dual-channel ailerons could hardly wait to go back.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:31 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,405 Posts
Hey guys. Im thinking of getting one of these planes next month, and would like to know, anyone try the nanotech 300mah 2s UMX batteries in this plane? If so, how much flight time did you get? I'm also looking at the nanotech 260mah 2s UMX batteries if anyone has used those...
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:37 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I have used the 300MAH nanos and they are holding up pretty well. I doubt I will get as many flights from them as my hyperions but they are decent. I would get some hyperions as well just because you can charge them at 5C!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,857 Posts
I've always charged my nanotechs at 5c without problems.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:52 PM
Hey y'all... watch this!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Jan 2004
852 Posts
Thank you Erkq, Brian, and Joel.
Very helpful.
Rex A Lott is offline Find More Posts by Rex A Lott
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:17 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Hey guys. Im thinking of getting one of these planes next month, and would like to know, anyone try the nanotech 300mah 2s UMX batteries in this plane? If so, how much flight time did you get? I'm also looking at the nanotech 260mah 2s UMX batteries if anyone has used those...
I have both. I set the timer at 8 minutes but it is very rare that I can put as much as 200mAh back in, normally about 170mAh so I could probably move the timer to 10 minutes, even with the 260s. I find the CG is correct with 300 pushed back as far as they will go. For 260s, I align the front edge of the battery with where the front edge of the 300 sits, or thereabouts. I got the 260s as I saw them at a good price but only 2 available. Later I bought the 300s on a similar deal. If i could do it over, I would just have all 300s or 260s - either is perfect.
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,616 Posts
really SMALL yard

sbach slow flying ,SMALL yard on busy street (4 min 50 sec)
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:02 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
The Nanos will work. However, the TP 325 65c UMX packs easily blow them out of the water performance-wise. Plus, the new TP packs are good for 600+ cycles, and they're designed for 12c charging.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:33 AM
Somewhere between raising hell and Amazing Grace
Joined Aug 2010
4 Posts
Picked one of these up along with a DX6i last week (third time getting back into planes since 2004, I'm a carpet racer at heart ), and I have a huge deadzone on the throttle stick...is this normal on planes that require the trim to be all the way down for the brick to bind? There is no go until almost half throttle on the stick...bumping the trim back up (almost all the way up) eliminates the deadzone but I can't help but think there has to be a better way.

I have to say I am completely blown away by how stable this thing is in the wind...I flew today in 8-10mph steady, gusting to 15 and it was almost like there was no wind at all! No way I would have even attempted flying my last UM (Suk 26XP) in a breeze like that! I'm sold on AS3X in these little planes...not so sure I would care for it in a bigger plane but it makes waiting for the wind to die down a thing of the past and that means more time on the sticks!

One more question...I noticed that the brick in this plane has something very near and dear to my heart as an EP touring car racer - timing advance! Has anyone experimented with this or any of the other settings? I just got my Hyperion 240's and 5030 props in the mail, and I need to initiate a salvage operation to locate my tach somewhere in the storage room before I mess with it, just curious if anyone has tried playing with the different settings available. I'm still reading through the thread so I may answer my own questions, but thanks in advance!
flatspunout is offline Find More Posts by flatspunout
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:39 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspunout View Post
Picked one of these up along with a DX6i last week (third time getting back into planes since 2004, I'm a carpet racer at heart ), and I have a huge deadzone on the throttle stick...is this normal on planes that require the trim to be all the way down for the brick to bind? There is no go until almost half throttle on the stick...bumping the trim back up (almost all the way up) eliminates the deadzone but I can't help but think there has to be a better way.

I have to say I am completely blown away by how stable this thing is in the wind...I flew today in 8-10mph steady, gusting to 15 and it was almost like there was no wind at all! No way I would have even attempted flying my last UM (Suk 26XP) in a breeze like that! I'm sold on AS3X in these little planes...not so sure I would care for it in a bigger plane but it makes waiting for the wind to die down a thing of the past and that means more time on the sticks!

One more question...I noticed that the brick in this plane has something very near and dear to my heart as an EP touring car racer - timing advance! Has anyone experimented with this or any of the other settings? I just got my Hyperion 240's and 5030 props in the mail, and I need to initiate a salvage operation to locate my tach somewhere in the storage room before I mess with it, just curious if anyone has tried playing with the different settings available. I'm still reading through the thread so I may answer my own questions, but thanks in advance!
For the dead area on the throttle you can use endpoint adjustment on the dx6i. Just move the throttle travel endpoints.

There was some discussion about Timing, PWM Switching Frequency, and engine braking in the original sbach thread.

Yes the AS3X system is amazing and allows these micro planes to handle winds that ground some 100cc planes.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:59 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,142 Posts
Prop balancer for micro props?

The 5043 on a 2300kV is vibrating very badly and the AS3X goes bonkers, as I found out yesterday. I put the old prop back on which was better but no great shakes (geddit? )

I want to be able to balance these as well as a 4040 which I intend to pick up for the Stryker 180.

I believe the T28D is also out of balance so it is time to get something that will do a range of sizes.

I have been browsing prop balancers. As far as I can see, most will do the job on bigger props (e.g.T28D) just fine but I am not sure about micro ones.

My initial idea was a Great Planes fingertip balancer on razor blades or on the edge of 2 glasses. The shaft is 5/32" which is 3.97mm so I assume the micro props will fit straight on - no idea if it would be sensitive enough though.

Beyond that, we are moving up to spending 4 or 6 times as much.

I'd appreciate any info you have. The net is full of it until you come to micro props ...
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround