SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:47 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,917 Posts
I just picked up an FPV quad ship.. It's currently on it's way.. Can't wait till it comes, and looking forward to a whole new dimension of flying
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I just picked up an FPV quad ship.. It's currently on it's way.. Can't wait till it comes, and looking forward to a whole new dimension of flying
Nice, you're lucky to be able to afford to get into fpv. It's something I'd love to try!

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:40 PM
London, England
Joined Apr 2007
206 Posts
It seems that most people in this hobby have more than one RC plane, so how about a Standard Old School no help plane. An AS3X plane, FPV plane, Heading lock plane and when that 3 gramme micro Cap/Edge/Extra/Sukho/Sbach that flies in your living room at 2mph comes along then have that too!
Next mission for those unfortunate folk in Oregon or China for that matter is a stealth FPV bristling with cameras.
pilatus mike is offline Find More Posts by pilatus mike
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Enjoy it while you can.... Oregon is trying to pass a bill/law that would basically mean the end of FPV...

I think it's better to say some in Oregon are trying to pass a law. That being said, yeah... I think the powers that be may well put an end to this. The Oregon folks don't even seem worried about safety. Their bill seems to be more aimed at Peeping Toms. So, where is our NFA? You know... National FPV Association. The NRA is so powerful. I dream...
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:38 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I think it's better to say some in Oregon are trying to pass a law. That being said, yeah... I think the powers that be may well put an end to this. The Oregon folks don't even seem worried about safety. Their bill seems to be more aimed at Peeping Toms. So, where is our NFA? You know... National FPV Association. The NRA is so powerful. I dream...
it's only the start though.... As I said, we should enjoy FPV while we can! It could eventually be easier to get a gun, than an FPV ship! Go figure...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:42 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Is there any reason people don't put the 3000kv Stryker motor in this thing? I just ordered one of the $65 Strykers on sale for spare body parts, but that'll leave me with a nice spare 3000kv motor. Seems like it'd be a nice speed and thrust increase with the stock prop.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:35 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez View Post
Is there any reason people don't put the 3000kv Stryker motor in this thing? I just ordered one of the $65 Strykers on sale for spare body parts, but that'll leave me with a nice spare 3000kv motor. Seems like it'd be a nice speed and thrust increase with the stock prop.
Because of the noise. Actually with a 5043 prop and a 2300kv motor you'll have a higher top speed anyways. Now what the 3000kv motor is unmatched in is throttle response and raw thrust with a 5030 prop. I did an indepth comparison of the 2300+5043 and 3000+5030 and that was the results. They are almost identical in power usage as well 2-3mAh difference over a 5 min flight.

edit: Oh and be sure to reverse any two wires on the motor clip. I swapped the red and blue. Otherwise the stryker motor spins the wrong way!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:36 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
A number of people have gone that route. As Brian noted, the only real downside is that the 3000Kv motor wails quite loudly. Ditch the inefficient stock prop & go with a GWS 5030. You'll get more thrust and longer flights with the 5030. Be sure to use a top-quality pack such as the Hyperion 240 25c or the top-performing Thunder Power 325 65c, and you'll be grinning from ear-to-ear.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 05, 2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Brian types faster!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:41 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Quite a few people have gone that route, and a number of them have posted their results in this thread. The 2300Kv/5043 & 3000Kv/5030 are the best-performing setups for this plane. Throw that 3000Kv in your Sbach & slap on a 5030 prop! Be sure to use a top-quality pack such as the Hyperion 240 25c or the top-performing Thunder Power 325 65c, and you'll be grinning from ear-to-ear.

Joel
Beat you by 1 minute!!

but in summary
3000kv+5030 = best thrust and holds speed in sharp turns.
2300kv+5043 = best top speed and whisper quiet

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
501 Posts
Excellent, that makes sense. Thanks guys. I guess I'll order up the 5030 and see how I like it. The noise doesn't really bother me, as I'm used to it with the Stryker.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:36 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Excellent, that makes sense. Thanks guys. I guess I'll order up the 5030 and see how I like it. The noise doesn't really bother me, as I'm used to it with the Stryker.
I use the 3000 on my B3D. The beast really benefits from the added thrust as it is a much draggier airframe. I actually like the noise, It gives me an audible feedback of how much throttle I've got on. This is really nice when landing.

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:49 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Sharpies! I bought the assorted color pack, works great!
Brian,

Did you ever tart-up your Sbach?

Photos?

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:02 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,453 Posts
Hi all after some help here, i know it was covered long ago but since the VisionAire i have found a new confidence in my flying and am now really ringing this plane out on Full Rates! My question has been answered somewhere in this thread but thought i'd just ask instead of trying to search it out.

now the help needed is! when i am flying say straight up then do a long spin down when i power on and fly out at speed and zip across the sky the plane is shaking like it wants to explode, it still goes straight ahead but looks and sounds terrible

so is this just the AS3x? or is there something else i can do to stop this

thanks for your help

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:26 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Brian,

Did you ever tart-up your Sbach?

Photos?

lol no, I kept it looking as stock as possible, after all the V1 colors are pretty good for orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Hi all after some help here, i know it was covered long ago but since the VisionAire i have found a new confidence in my flying and am now really ringing this plane out on Full Rates! My question has been answered somewhere in this thread but thought i'd just ask instead of trying to search it out.

now the help needed is! when i am flying say straight up then do a long spin down when i power on and fly out at speed and zip across the sky the plane is shaking like it wants to explode, it still goes straight ahead but looks and sounds terrible

so is this just the AS3x? or is there something else i can do to stop this

thanks for your help

cheers chuck
Chuck which way is it shaking? pitch, yaw, or roll? I know that most have been reinforcing the horizontal stab with a small line of glue along the stab where it meets the fuse and some CF along the bottom to stiffen it.

-Brian
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:36 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Chuck,

Tail oscillation at high speed (the dolphin effect) is typically caused by horizontal stabilizer flex and/or slop in the controls. Many of us have added glue fillets to the top & bottom of the stabs where they meet the fuse, and also added a cf rod to the bottom of the horizontal stab. That usually takes care of it. Also check the rudder & elevator linkages for slop. Sloppy controls will cause gyros to oscillate at higher speeds. I had to tweak the geometry of the rudder pushrod a bit on mine, and I also had to make a ca 'bearing' to tighten-up the pushrod in the control horn. Also, be sure that she spools-up smoothly in your hand. If not, balance the prop. Gyros are very sensitive to vibration. Prop imbalance usually shows up first in the roll axis, however.

Edit: I see that Brian beat me to it again!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Brian beat me again!