HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:23 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Assuming that the control surface is otherwise not being bound up, etc, causing your problem, then here is an idea.

This is a total kludge, ESPECIALLY on a AS3X equipped plane, but it;s been done to get around having to immediately replace a servo that was otherwise good, but just did not like the spot right at neutral, and so would 'hunt' right at that spot:

* slightly squeeze the "U" bend to cause a bit of electronic trim to be required

* go to the servo menu and input a bit of subtrim just enough to recenter the servo back to neutral trim.

* buzz and hunting behavior should now be gone.

I know the AS2X manual and others frown greatly on using any trim or subtrim, but if not overdone, I have found it to be resilient to a bit of minor jiggering around like this.

Of course, you already know the 'right' and long term solution is a new servo.
This may work but In flight the jittering servo wont be a problem, AS3X is constantly making adjustments and if wont be sitting idle long enough to jitter

Just get a new servo and if you get some spare time, replace it then.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:37 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
Have you guys seen this video?

Guardian 2D/3D stuffed into an old Q260 foamie for maiden (12 min 36 sec)


Glad to know that stabilization systems do not fly the plane or make it take less skill to look good? I just can't decide if this is the way I really want this hobby to head. I want it, but I'm not sure I want it. How's that for being indecisive?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:46 AM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Have you guys seen this video?

http://vimeo.com/58313155

Glad to know that stabilization systems do not fly the plane or make it take less skill to look good? I just can't decide if this is the way I really want this hobby to head. I want it, but I'm not sure I want it. How's that for being indecisive?
There is no comparison between the Eagletree Guardian in 3D mode (heading hold) and a stabilization system. NONE! I find it funny in the video when in the beginning he is like why isn't this working....oh I've got it in 2D mode(stabilization mode). You go right ahead and try this with any of the AS3X plane and let me know that works for you, be sure to buy a new fuse before you try....

Every time I see one of these videos with a Heading hold mode gyro on 100% gain condemning stabilization systems it gets me upset. They are at best uninformed, or more likely intentionally misinforming people.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:03 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
Do you really believe HH is going to stop at as3x?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:02 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Bobly,

Brian nailed it.

Do you understand the difference between rate-based and heading-hold systems? They're about as similar as apples and meat. AS3X behaves like a rate-based gyro. It is incapable of maintaining any maneuver for the pilot. It can't hold a hover, it can't maintain KE, it can't maintain high-alpha - or any other flight attitude. It can't do a damned thing that the pilot can't already do. Anyone with a basic understanding of gyros knows that. In that video, the Guardian was behaving more like a heading-hold tail gyro on a heli. AS3X behaves absolutely nothing like that.

Regarding not being able to decide if this is the way you want the hobby to go - you don't have a choice. You may choose not to use the technology, but the hobby will go there without you, nonetheless. It is no surprise that the microelectronics revolution would eventually revolutionize this hobby, nor is it surprising that RCers would want to experiment with the same technology that has been in widespread use for decades in full-scale aircraft all over the world.

Like the advent of kits, ARFs, RTFs, BNFs, foamies, programmable mixes, flybarless heli controllers, FPV, and other advancements that some people swore would ruin the hobby - fixed-wing stabilization systems are not going to be the death of the hobby, either. Quite the opposite, I believe. The sky is not falling. Rather, it is expanding! Just like the advancements above, RC stabilization & navigation systems will enrich the hobby & open up new possibilities. They will also provide a great opportunity for RCers to learn about & experiment with modern aircraft control systems - knowledge that is important for those who may be interested in becoming UAV pilots or aeronautical engineers. RC has traditionally been a stepping-stone to careers in aviation. Many of the great aircraft designers were RCers first. To remain relevant, the hobby needs to keep up with modern technology, rather than shun it. I say bring it on!

Oh - and I surely hope they don't stop with AS3X! I'd hate to see the hobby stagnate again like it did for quite awhile back when. That would really suck. I hope I'll get a chance to fly a full-house, 3-gram unlimited aerobatic ship with AS3X that can do a full pattern routine at 2 MPH in the living-room while my eyesight is still good enough to see it.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:06 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Do you really believe HH is going to stop at as3x?
Yes, with guys like Quique and Mike McConville designing planes that fly great there is no need for more. Even if they did it would not be a mass marketable item. I can see it's use in learning 3D but honestly it is only a learning tool. It is not overly fun to fly. The same was said about helis when tail gyros and again when flybarless gyros were introduced.

People know when you're using a 3D heading hold gyro. It doesn't impress anyone.


-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:32 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
...

Glad to know that stabilization systems do not fly the plane or make it take less skill to look good? I just can't decide if this is the way I really want this hobby to head. I want it, but I'm not sure I want it. How's that for being indecisive?
Apples... oranges
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:34 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Do you really believe HH is going to stop at as3x?
They chose to not put it in the 540QQ. They stopped as3x completely on that one.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:31 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
I do understand the differences in the two systems, and still willing to bet on HH stepping up to the full blown setup in the future. I wonder how soon it will be that we can go pick up a rc plane, hook up with google earth, program a flight pattern in, throw in some aerobatics, set it out on the ground and turn it on, watch it fly and wait for it to land. I might well not live long enough to see it though. It's a hobby to me and I'm still undecided on the whole stabilization thing on any level. It's probably a given that I will end up with a Visionaire - I've just got to see what I think of it and that's the only way I will know. I'll be at a hobby shop tomorrow 100 miles from me, and have already called and found that they have two in stock. We'll just see what happens tomorrow. I've already bought three of its little brothers, don't like one, one is ok but boring, the third is kinda fun and by far the best of the bunch, but I still can't decide how much I like it. It certainly makes me look better than I am with some moves for sure, but that's not really my ultimate goal. But I just can't get enough of flying the Edge QQ, so I'll just keep experimenting - it's part of the hobby I love.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:48 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I do understand the differences in the two systems, and still willing to bet on HH stepping up to the full blown setup in the future. I wonder how soon it will be that we can go pick up a rc plane, hook up with google earth, program a flight pattern in, throw in some aerobatics, set it out on the ground and turn it on, watch it fly and wait for it to land. I might well not live long enough to see it though. It's a hobby to me and I'm still undecided on the whole stabilization thing on any level. It's probably a given that I will end up with a Visionaire - I've just got to see what I think of it and that's the only way I will know. I'll be at a hobby shop tomorrow 100 miles from me, and have already called and found that they have two in stock. We'll just see what happens tomorrow. I've already bought three of its little brothers, don't like one, one is ok but boring, the third is kinda fun and by far the best of the bunch, but I still can't decide how much I like it. It certainly makes me look better than I am with some moves for sure, but that's not really my ultimate goal. But I just can't get enough of flying the Edge QQ, so I'll just keep experimenting - it's part of the hobby I love.
Yup... 540QQ is fffffantastic for sure! So... you're kidding about being able to do the Google Earth thing sometime in the future, right? I guess you haven't been keeping up in the FPV section. Plotting your flight on Google Earth and downloading it into an autonomous FPV autopilot is nothing new. And, it's cheap!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yup... 540QQ is fffffantastic for sure! So... you're kidding about being able to do the Google Earth thing sometime in the future, right? I guess you haven't been keeping up in the FPV section. Plotting your flight on Google Earth and downloading it into an autonomous FPV autopilot is nothing new. And, it's cheap!
So I could have gotten one of these and didn't have to spend all the hours I did and destroy the planes I did to fly now then. Can I tell it to do some cuban 8's and split s's and a couple of low fast inverted passes before it lands within grasping without walking distance from me? All while I'm drinking a Pepsi and having a cigarette? I still wonder how long folks will stay in the hobby when it gets too easy? I'm not sure I would have ever started without the challenge. I stay with a hobby pretty well as long as I can find new things to learn, but once I think that I have reached the limits of my abilities I tend to go stale and eventually find something new with a new challenge.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:11 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
So I could have gotten one of these and didn't have to spend all the hours I did and destroy the planes I did to fly now then. Can I tell it to do some cuban 8's and split s's and a couple of low fast inverted passes before it lands within grasping without walking distance from me? All while I'm drinking a Pepsi and having a cigarette? I still wonder how long folks will stay in the hobby when it gets too easy? I'm not sure I would have ever started without the challenge. I stay with a hobby pretty well as long as I can find new things to learn, but once I think that I have reached the limits of my abilities I tend to go stale and eventually find something new with a new challenge.
Then you'd love FPV! Believe me, autonomous FPV is quite a challenge. There's so much more to know... so much more. You must be a proficient LOS pilot first, and I mean very good. You also have to know power system and electronics. These plane don't just fly autonomously out of the box. Matter of fact, they come in about 15 different boxes or more. And, if you want to get anywhere with range you need a HAM license.

I got all the components together and assembled on the bench... pan/tilt video system, OSD, long range radio, GPS 19 waypoint auto-pilot, barometric altimeter, pitot tube airspeed sensor, gyros for artificial horizon and stabilization. I've flown my FPV platform a lot (Bixler)... I actually teach people to fly with it. But I have so much fun with conventional flying, when I get some time for the hobby I look at going outside and flying my 540QQ or sitting inside and building my FPV rig... guess which wins out? Maybe someday I'll get to it.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:48 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
erkq - way over my head - I should clarify, I said I sort of go stale once I reach the limits of my abilities -- therein lies the problem - I'm not particularly gifted when it comes to hand eye coordination and getting old and senile to boot. Reflexes just ain't what I "thought" they used to be. And the other part is, I just have no interest whatsoever in fpv, but want to be quick to throw in - respect your pursuit of it. We just don't all like the same things. I want to watch the model fly, and observe what I can manage to make it do, that is my fascination.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:52 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
erkq - way over my head - I should clarify, I said I sort of go stale once I reach the limits of my abilities -- therein lies the problem - I'm not particularly gifted when it comes to hand eye coordination and getting old and senile to boot. Reflexes just ain't what I "thought" they used to be. And the other part is, I just have no interest whatsoever in fpv, but want to be quick to throw in - respect your pursuit of it. We just don't all like the same things. I want to watch the model fly, and observe what I can manage to make it do, that is my fascination.
Yeah... that appears to be my fascination too, considering the glacial pace of my FPV activities. It just isn't grabbing my like flying!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:33 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I do understand the differences in the two systems, and still willing to bet on HH stepping up to the full blown setup in the future. I wonder how soon it will be that we can go pick up a rc plane, hook up with google earth, program a flight pattern in, throw in some aerobatics, set it out on the ground and turn it on, watch it fly and wait for it to land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Then you'd love FPV! Believe me, autonomous FPV is quite a challenge.
Enjoy it while you can.... Oregon is trying to pass a bill/law that would basically mean the end of FPV...

This is scary to say the least. Very broad and basically makes every one of us a criminal for even owning an FPV aircraft, in Oregon, FOR NOW.

"Imposes restrictions on use of drones by private parties and public entities....“Drone” means an unmanned flying machine that is capable of:
(a) Capturing images of objects or people on the ground or in the air...A person who possesses or controls a drone in violation of subsection (1) of this section
commits a Class B misdemeanor. (3) A person who possesses or controls a drone in violation of subsection (1) of this section and uses the drone to capture an image of a person or object on the ground or in the air commits a Class A misdemeanor....."
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold E Flite UMX SBACH w/AS3X - 2s, 3s - $118 OBO shipped flyrtim Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 11, 2012 11:42 PM
Sold E-flite UMX Sbach 342 NIB $135 shipped ton2di Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 29, 2012 03:41 PM
Discussion Baby S-Bach (E-Flite SBach UMX) mikhail tupulov Micro Ready-to-Fly 1 Aug 21, 2012 05:45 PM
For Sale E-Flite UMX SBach NIB $135 Shipped pldawg Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Aug 09, 2012 12:26 AM
Sold E-Flite Sbach 342 UMX mdv Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 12, 2012 09:29 PM