HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:04 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
A little late day flying in the front yard today... Complete with a mild crash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKnkY...ature=youtu.be
Turnerm,

Great flying - as usual! Looks like you've got the S3D figured out. Amazing little plane, isn't it? BTW - which setup are you running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Let me say that due to the space needed for these balsa ships and the money, it might be the only one for quite awhile.

Are those gassers? Trying to stay all electric. I believe they can be either.
Matt,

The planes we mentioned are all electrics. Keep in mind that 3DHS & Precision Aerobatics planes are meticulously engineered, impeccable-flying aircraft. No cheap Chinese hardware or butter-steel screws here. These planes are capable of handling any combination of control-inputs & wild throws at any airspeed or throttle-setting over & over again without structural damage. They will still fly like they're new - even 5-10 years down the road.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:00 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Keep in mind that 3DHS & Precision Aerobatics planes are meticulously engineered, impeccable-flying aircraft. No cheap Chinese hardware or butter-steel screws here. These planes are capable of handling any combination of control-inputs & wild throws at any airspeed or throttle-setting over & over again without structural damage. They will still fly like they're new - even 5-10 years down the road.
This is why I want a 3DHS aircraft. However, I want to know what I am doing first, hence the Visionaire!
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:04 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

Great flying - as usual! Looks like you've got the S3D figured out. Amazing little plane, isn't it? BTW - which setup are you running?

Matt,

The planes we mentioned are all electrics. Keep in mind that 3DHS & Precision Aerobatics planes are meticulously engineered, impeccable-flying aircraft. No cheap Chinese hardware or butter-steel screws here. These planes are capable of handling any combination of control-inputs & wild throws at any airspeed or throttle-setting over & over again without structural damage. They will still fly like they're new - even 5-10 years down the road.

Joel
Yeah I am falling in love with the 57" Extra, that will take some saving though, may have to purchase in pieces as well, aircraft, then power system, etc.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:49 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
A little late day flying in the front yard today... Complete with a mild crash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKnkY...ature=youtu.be
Well that's it. I don't need anymore airplanes . . . .

. . . until I get new thumbs

Man, turnerm, you make it look so smooth and easy.

Jerk.

whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:51 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,764 Posts
Matt,

Joel[/QUOTE]

Hahahahahahah. Not the way I fly/crash 'em!

Actually, I've been eyeballing some 3DHS ships. Almost picked up an AJ slick and then a 41 buck huck extra in the classifieds.

Unfortunately, none of the 3D guys will throw their thumbs into the deal.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post

Unfortunately, none of the 3D guys will throw their thumbs into the deal.
You don't need their thumbs. The larger 3DHS ships are much easier to fly than the UMX stuff. It's not that the UMX stuff is hard, it's just the 3DHS stuff is more predictable, slower on the control inputs, perfectly set up so when you hit the rudder at the end of a vertical it just spins around its vertical (now horizontal) center for a perfect hammerhead.

I keep saying... when I take my Slick 51 out... why do I waste time flying anything else??
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
All I know is that it sucks being in Australia. I would really love a 3DHS plane (42 Slick, 48 Edge 540, 51 Slick) but shipping is very expensive. Precision aerobatics are in Australia and I like the look of their Extra 260 and if I could afford it, their Bandit. Desert Aircraft stocks Extreme Flight and I like the look of some of their 48inch planes.

Also, wind handling is a priority for me (along with price) and this moves me towards the Parkzone Stryker. Different but still heaps of fun.

Anyway, I'm off to fly my Sbach :-)

Tom
Tomdomification is offline Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys! This little Sbach is loads of fun. Super smooth and stable. But I'll echo what others have said as well, the larger balsa planes are even smoother and more stable - especially once you get up and beyond the 60-70" range. My 71" Slick almost makes it feel as if I'm cheating when I fly it. It's just THAT stable. But you have to be confident with your flying skills because flying a larger plane comes with more financial risk... And sometimes that little extra pucker factor is intimidating to people.

I remember when I was first getting into 3D I had the chance to fly with Losifanatic (fellow RCGroups member and very good pilot) and he offered to let me fly his 71" Slick. There was no way in HELL I was going to do that as I knew it was more than I was ready for. Now there's not a plane I wouldn't fly if someone offered.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:56 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I was on Phoenix a lot last night playing around, I was using the Extra and I was doing pretty good. Doing Blenders, Crankshafts (Loemcheks Sp?), flat spins, harrier flights and landings.

I can hover my flat foamies and can't even start a hover with the Sbach. I will get there but it will take some time.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I was on Phoenix a lot last night playing around, I was using the Extra and I was doing pretty good. Doing Blenders, Crankshafts (Loemcheks Sp?), flat spins, harrier flights and landings.

I can hover my flat foamies and can't even start a hover with the Sbach. I will get there but it will take some time.
Hovering the Sbach is very hard, unless you're named turnerm.

----------
For those not following the CC thread:
New Twist on AS3X!! A custom software that allows independent incremental gain adjustment on each surface and (possibly) a way to enable and disable the gyros remotely using channel 5. Also stick override priority for each axis as well.

Software here. I am hosting this at my personal webserver. Files have been scanned with Kaspersky 2013 and clean of malware/spyware/virus.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:48 AM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
I have just bought a 2300kv Beast v1 motor from ebay, complete with prop, adapter and firewall. 9 all in. Not sure why, really, just spotted it.

I know people say it is a good Sbach engine so would it be worth swapping over?

I am also thinking of putting one or the other into my T-28 if it will run with one of those tiny ESCs you can buy - stupid idea?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:27 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,872 Posts
Hmm, gusts to 50mph today.. I brought the ASbach3X and was kinda thinking about seeing how it does in the wind. This could be funny or sad. hahaha
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:29 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post
I have just bought a 2300kv Beast v1 motor from ebay, complete with prop, adapter and firewall. 9 all in. Not sure why, really, just spotted it.

I am also thinking of putting one or the other into my T-28 if it will run with one of those tiny ESCs you can buy - stupid idea?
Not a stupid idea at all! The 2300kv motor and a 5043 prop will get you some of the best 2S speed that can be had on the sbach! It is also whisper quiet.

The a 2S brushless conversion on the T-28 is nice. What you might consider is getting some depron and converting the airfoil to a flat bottom or semi-symmetrical. With the added speed of the brushless and 2S it gets a little pitchy at higher speeds with the existing undercamber. Though it will fly ok with only a simple CF rod glued to the bottom to strengthen the wing.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:49 AM
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,184 Posts
Thanks Brian. The T-28 is a bit of a mess, hence already has the CF rod! I will have to look into the wing section conversion. Do you think the 2500kv would run at half thrust on 1S? I have a few very nice Miniaviation 190mAh I would like to keep using and would be happy with a reliable brushless version of what I have now. I already have the Sbach and Stryker 180 for speed and mainly fly the T-28 slowly in small spaces. It's brushed motor must be nearly dead now as it needs a 'hand swing' to get going!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:08 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAround View Post

As Brian said, the 2300kv/5043 combo is the perfect set up for the Sbach. I recently swapped the 2300 from my V1 Sbach to the B3D and it's amazing at the difference. Sadly I don't fly the Sbach much anymore since I got the 540QQ.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS