HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar 20040 View Post
Thank you Brian! Although I hate programming an ESC by the Tx ... but in this case I will have no other choice.

I have now made 4 flights with the windmilling prop. Luckily it is still one piece. However, to my experience, you have a better chance with the brake on.

Regards,
Robert R.
I have to agree with Scottmac - I think your odds are much better with a prop that can brush aside (not on brake) as it touches if stopped vertical. With brake on if it stops vertical, that's where it's gonna stay.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Sounds familiar...
I had to look back to my post last year in the original Sbach thread. It makes the nose basically unbreakable!

-Brian
Almost the same as I have it, but I put the carbon fiber right against the battery tray on both sides with a tad of epoxy along the edge to the plastic and glued to the foam. Did you put the small cf rods on the bottom? I found that this helped even more than the ones inside. They are right at the point that cracks first.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:28 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I have to agree with Scottmac - I think your odds are much better with a prop that can brush aside (not on brake) as it touches if stopped vertical. With brake on if it stops vertical, that's where it's gonna stay.
I also agree, the prop brake would only be really useful for increasing glide ratio as you'd have much less drag from a stopped prop. As long as the power is off completely you'll never break a prop from belly landing on grass, at least in this scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Almost the same as I have it, but I put the carbon fiber right against the battery tray on both sides with a tad of epoxy along the edge to the plastic and glued to the foam. Did you put the small cf rods on the bottom? I found that this helped even more than the ones inside. They are right at the point that cracks first.
No I didn't put any along the bottom, I purposely left those strips high (about 1/2 way up the side) so that they would prevent any vertical flex. It appears that the breaks happen when the nose strikes and is forced upward. I also made sure there was almost 1/2" of the rod imbedded on the front and back.

The way I have it the battery tray should provide strength along the bottom, and the CF strips provide strength close to the top.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:36 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,050 Posts
Hey all, a little OT, but I see a lot of you guys on some of the 1S bird threads. I thought this was an interesting development - may be a precurser to a 1S brushless bird (finally)?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=95
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:50 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Very interesting! Not sure that it means we're getting close to having 1s bl planes, though. From all the work that people on here have done with 1s bl conversions on the XP & other 1s planes, it's apparent that geared bl is the only way to get any increase in performance over the stock power system. A drop-in replacement inrunner would be nice.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:30 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,212 Posts
I really like the brushless tail motor, this means they can make sub micro brushless now.
Main power is 2s, but with all that extra power, it might work. Conversions could be done with as3x bricks and soldering the motor to it.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:54 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
I really like the brushless tail motor, this means they can make sub micro brushless now.
Main power is 2s, but with all that extra power, it might work. Conversions could be done with as3x bricks and soldering the motor to it.
That's what got my attention as well. I took one look at that little tail motor and thought - THERE HAS TO BE A WAY!!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:11 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,684 Posts
That BL tail motor is a beautiful thing!
Specs show that it's spinning a 1.57" (40mm) rotor.
My mSR tail rotor measures 37mm.

Hopefully 3013 is the year of the BL.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:31 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Hopefully 3013 is the year of the BL.
rc
I hope we don't have to wait until THEN!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:33 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
I hope we don't have to wait until THEN!

You meant what he knew.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:43 PM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hey all, a little OT, but I see a lot of you guys on some of the 1S bird threads. I thought this was an interesting development - may be a precurser to a 1S brushless bird (finally)?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=95
I kind of shrug my shoulders. Except in ultra light platforms like a vapor or ember I would probably rather have a 2s. The difference in minor difference in weight and big improvement in power with only a small difference in price seems to favor 2s.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,212 Posts
Which is why the mcpx IS 2s.

Uses a 30c 200mah that might actually be good in our umxs.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Which is why the mcpx IS 2s.

Uses a 30c 200mah that might actually be good in our umxs.
I just hope the battery attachment will allow me to use my BB240s.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:42 AM
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,248 Posts
I haven't been able to flight test my Sbach like I promised as it was windy by the time I had repaired it. To my joy, it had not cracked on the old repair but somewhere else. It shouldn't be joy, I suppose, but I was pleased I finally seem to have learnt the art of near invisible repairs which are also strong!

Now it has snowed. In the UK that means total chaos as nobody is prepared, nobody has winter tyres (except me), etc. It's pathetic ... in many countries life would be unaffected by such a small fall.

Anyway, my lack of concentration on work matters saw me on the site of a big model shop and saw the Beast 3D is back in stock. Been none in the UK for months. You all know I have managed two nose ins plus a prop adapter so far on the Sbach. Do you think I should get a Beast or do I need to up my game first? My only disappointment with the Sbach is the huge amount of sky it eats up which has lead to orientation issues (none fatal) along with spending lots of each flight repositioning it. Otherwise I think it is fantastic. I understand a Beast would be usable in a much smaller area.

Also, would my 260 and 300 Nano-Techs fit OK?
GoAround is offline Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:03 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Tough call on the Beast vs sbach there. I know exactly where you are coming from, as my eyesight is not the best and I have the same observations with the Sbach - it's just simply faster than I would like. I can do more flying in a smaller area with the Beast, but it is for sure more fragile than the sbach. Another alternative is larger planes that fly slower. I have a hacker super zoom that I can fly in area as small as the Sbach and is much easier to maintain orientation with and flies slower than the Sbach. Excellent learning tool. Due to winter weather, I have not been able to fully wring it out, but so far thinking that the Edge QQ may well take over from my Sbach. It will slow down better, is big enough to see easier, handles wind up to 15 mph or so every bit as well as as3x sbach and is tougher. It will even glide, so you can dead stick it in for landings if you want.