HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Well my new as3x sbach build went sour today when my 3S flight was cutoff in mid flight. The esc shut off, and I couldn't get the plane to land smoothly causing a break in fuse and front...I tested before flight and it wasn't shutting off. After I came inside it was working again. No 3S flight for this conversion...bummer because it was very fast for the one minute I flew it. Sucks because I spent so much time on the build, and it went south. At least the cracks were easily repairable. Guess I won't be trying it on my as3x beast. I was using 2500kv motor and 5030 prop....

J
The Sbach, without modification has absolutely ZERO airflow to the Voltage regulator. On mine I added a cooling hole directly under the VR to allow it to stay cooler. I also strongly recommend adding a heatsink to the ESC and VR to prevent these shutdowns.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:31 PM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
The Sbach, without modification has absolutely ZERO airflow to the Voltage regulator. On mine I added a cooling hole directly under the VR to allow it to stay cooler. I also strongly recommend adding a heatsink to the ESC and VR to prevent these shutdowns.

-Brian
I figured that was what was happening. Some people haven't needed to do the vent cooling or heatsinks. I don't really know how to add heatsinks so I will be back to 2S. I will be selling my 4 new babbelbatts I just purchased.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Well my new as3x sbach build went sour today when my 3S flight was cutoff in mid flight. The esc shut off, and I couldn't get the plane to land smoothly causing a break in fuse and front...I tested before flight and it wasn't shutting off. After I came inside it was working again. No 3S flight for this conversion...bummer because it was very fast for the one minute I flew it. Sucks because I spent so much time on the build, and it went south. At least the cracks were easily repairable. Guess I won't be trying it on my as3x beast. I was using 2500kv motor and 5030 prop....

J
My Beast does something kinda like this
I have to throttle back to 0 for a couple seconds and the esc rearms and I can fly again... but again that's on my Beast.. now on my Sbach I have no issues at all..
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:59 AM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
My Beast does something kinda like this
I have to throttle back to 0 for a couple seconds and the esc rearms and I can fly again... but again that's on my Beast.. now on my Sbach I have no issues at all..

I wasn't even at full throttle when it would shut off...I am afraid to try on the beast. I don't like having no control.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:03 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I wasn't even at full throttle when it would shut off...I am afraid to try on the beast. I don't like having no control.

J
Yeah... the Beast is pretty tough to fly with no damage without power. It literally flies like a brick.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:41 AM
More Planes Than Sense
wgarman's Avatar
United States, PA, Wexford
Joined Feb 2010
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
My Beast does something kinda like this
I have to throttle back to 0 for a couple seconds and the esc rearms and I can fly again... but again that's on my Beast.. now on my Sbach I have no issues at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I wasn't even at full throttle when it would shut off...I am afraid to try on the beast. I don't like having no control.

J

Had the same problem with my GeeBee. HH said it may have been a 'servo' issue. (no other explanation given) They had me send it in. Sent back a new plane.
wgarman is offline Find More Posts by wgarman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I can't wait for this one to come out, sold my V1 hoping they would release an AS3X version. Actually like the thunderbolt pattern better but I ain't complaning!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgarman View Post
Had the same problem with my GeeBee. HH said it may have been a 'servo' issue. (no other explanation given) They had me send it in. Sent back a new plane.
I think they're discussing running it on 3S! I believe HH would say it's an over-voltage problem and leave you on your own.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:54 AM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Lol
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:24 PM
3D wing innovator
MikeRx's Avatar
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,160 Posts
3s is impressive, but I think this one would really like to stay as light as possible..
3000 kv motor adds 1000 rpm and bolts in with no modification.
Stay 2s and save weight for best 3d performance.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:57 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I wasn't even at full throttle when it would shut off...I am afraid to try on the beast. I don't like having no control.

J
My Beast would cut out at anything over 75% throttle
but my Sbach runs WOT on 3s till my timer beeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
3s is impressive, but I think this one would really like to stay as light as possible..
3000 kv motor adds 1000 rpm and bolts in with no modification.
Stay 2s and save weight for best 3d performance.
3D the lighter 2s sestup is better, but on 3s we are at around 250 watts per lb+
stock 2s is about 110 watts per lb
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:06 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,011 Posts
This has probably been covered but since I didn't see it I'll go over it...

I was experimenting with 3S and damaged the ESC on my Beast brick...NitroCharged (Dave) gave the point out on the brick to get the throttle signal, so I installed a separate external 6 amp ESC...I got everything working so I went out for a test flight...I checked the throws and discovered that the ailerons were reversed...I must have got the aileron servo plugs reversed on the brick---No big deal, I'll just reverse the servos in the TX...Got everything working in the correct direction and the AS3X seemed to be working properly as well...I hand launched and the plane was ALL OVER THE PLACE and crashed into my pond in the back yard...After retrieving the plane from the pond I dried everything out and went to try it out again---This time taking off from the asphalt street...I advanced the throttle and it looked good so I gave some up elevator...The plane lifted off about a foot and I initiated a right turn...All of a sudden the plane snapped over on its back and nosed in on the asphalt as though the ailerons were reversed!!!...Broken prop, destroyed spinner, and a small amount of road rash but it could have been worse...I got to thinking---I reversed the ailerons but I was wondering if the AS3X system was still in the normal non-reversed mode...I looked at the ailerons with the AS3X active and it LOOKED to be functioning properly...Just to be sure I removed the canopy hatch for the umpteenth time and put the servos back into their proper recepticles on the brick---Retaped the hatch back on and went out to fly with the street light now on and almost dark...I again took off from the asphalt as the last hand launch had me lacking confidence in a hand launch...I advanced the throttle and she lifted off---AND FLEW LIKE THE AS3X SYSTEM IS SUPPOSED TO FUNCTION!!!...I was back in business!!!

The bottom line is to NOT reverse the ailerons in the TX but do it with programming in the brick if necessary...I recommend to NOT reverse anything and go with factory default settings...By not going with my gut and being too lazy to open up the fuselage cost me a pristine looking plane...The Beast isn't too banged up but as we all do, we want to keep a plane as pristine as possible for as long as possible...Oh---And I did all of this testing/flying in the rain!!!..(I've been flying models for 42 years and have this flying itch BAD!!!)

This post is just a heads up or a reminder if already posted that reversing any control surface in the TX with an AS3X brick can cause the plane to not fly...(Non-AS3X equipped bricks will do FINE if you need to do a reverse in the TX...)

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Sep 30, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:30 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
This has probably been covered but since I didn't see it I'll go over it...

I was experimenting with 3S and damaged the ESC on my Beast brick...NitroCharged (Dave) gave the point out on the brick to get the throttle signal, so I installed a separate external 6 amp ESC...I got everything working so I went out for a test flight...I checked the throws and discovered that the ailerons were reversed...I must have got the aileron servo plugs reversed on the brick---No big deal, I'll just reverse the servos in the TX...Got everything working in the correct direction and the AS3X seemed to be working properly as well...I hand launched and the plane was ALL OVER THE PLACE and crashed into my pond in the back yard...After retrieving the plane from the pond I dried everything out and went to try it out again---This time taking off from the asphalt street...I advanced the throttle and it looked good so I gave some up elevator...The plane lifted off about a foot and I initiated a right turn...All of a sudden the plane snapped over on its back and nosed in on the asphalt as though the ailerons were reversed!!!...Broken prop, destroyed spinner, and a small amount of road rash but it could have been worse...I got to thinking---I reversed the ailerons but I was wondering if the AS3X system was still in the normal non-reversed mode...I looked at the ailerons with the AS3X active and it LOOKED to be functioning properly...Just to be sure I removed the canopy hatch for the umpteenth time and put the servos back into their proper recepticles on the brick---Retaped the hatch back on and went out to fly with the street light now on and almost dark...I again took off from the asphalt as the last hand launch had me lacking confidence in a hand launch...I advanced the throttle and she lifted off---AND FLEW LIKE THE AS3X SYSTEM IS SUPPOSED TO FUNCTION!!!...I was back in business!!!

The bottom line is to NOT reverse the ailerons in the TX but do it with programming in the brick if necessary...I recommend to NOT reverse anything and go with factory default settings...By not going with my gut and being too lazy to open up the fuselage cost me a pristine looking plane...The Beast isn't too banged up but as we all do, we want to keep a plane as pristine as possible for as long as possible...Oh---And I did all of this testing/flying in the rain!!!..(I've been flying models for 42 years and have this flying itch BAD!!!)

This post is just a heads up or a reminder if already posted that reversing any control surface in the TX with an AS3X brick can cause the plane to not fly...(Non-AS3X equipped bricks will do FINE if you need to do a reverse in the TX...)

Kevin
Very True, I know I've said it before! It is also in the user manual for the AS3X USB Programmer!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:07 PM
Can't get enough
jabsten's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
This has probably been covered but since I didn't see it I'll go over it...

I was experimenting with 3S and damaged the ESC on my Beast brick...NitroCharged (Dave) gave the point out on the brick to get the throttle signal, so I installed a separate external 6 amp ESC...I got everything working so I went out for a test flight...I checked the throws and discovered that the ailerons were reversed...I must have got the aileron servo plugs reversed on the brick---No big deal, I'll just reverse the servos in the TX...Got everything working in the correct direction and the AS3X seemed to be working properly as well...I hand launched and the plane was ALL OVER THE PLACE and crashed into my pond in the back yard...After retrieving the plane from the pond I dried everything out and went to try it out again---This time taking off from the asphalt street...I advanced the throttle and it looked good so I gave some up elevator...The plane lifted off about a foot and I initiated a right turn...All of a sudden the plane snapped over on its back and nosed in on the asphalt as though the ailerons were reversed!!!...Broken prop, destroyed spinner, and a small amount of road rash but it could have been worse...I got to thinking---I reversed the ailerons but I was wondering if the AS3X system was still in the normal non-reversed mode...I looked at the ailerons with the AS3X active and it LOOKED to be functioning properly...Just to be sure I removed the canopy hatch for the umpteenth time and put the servos back into their proper recepticles on the brick---Retaped the hatch back on and went out to fly with the street light now on and almost dark...I again took off from the asphalt as the last hand launch had me lacking confidence in a hand launch...I advanced the throttle and she lifted off---AND FLEW LIKE THE AS3X SYSTEM IS SUPPOSED TO FUNCTION!!!...I was back in business!!!

The bottom line is to NOT reverse the ailerons in the TX but do it with programming in the brick if necessary...I recommend to NOT reverse anything and go with factory default settings...By not going with my gut and being too lazy to open up the fuselage cost me a pristine looking plane...The Beast isn't too banged up but as we all do, we want to keep a plane as pristine as possible for as long as possible...Oh---And I did all of this testing/flying in the rain!!!..(I've been flying models for 42 years and have this flying itch BAD!!!)

This post is just a heads up or a reminder if already posted that reversing any control surface in the TX with an AS3X brick can cause the plane to not fly...(Non-AS3X equipped bricks will do FINE if you need to do a reverse in the TX...)

Kevin

Weird I reversed my ail through my tx on my build and the as3x worked fine.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:41 PM
Parkzone junkie
kalmon's Avatar
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Weird I reversed my ail through my tx on my build and the as3x worked fine.

J
Well it's not important that the TX is reverse or normal but that the Brick is moving the control surfaces correctly from AS3X corrections. See above.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold E Flite UMX SBACH w/AS3X - 2s, 3s - $118 OBO shipped flyrtim Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 11, 2012 10:42 PM
Sold E-flite UMX Sbach 342 NIB $135 shipped ton2di Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Aug 29, 2012 02:41 PM
Discussion Baby S-Bach (E-Flite SBach UMX) mikhail tupulov Micro Ready-to-Fly 1 Aug 21, 2012 04:45 PM
For Sale E-Flite UMX SBach NIB $135 Shipped pldawg Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Aug 08, 2012 11:26 PM
For Sale E-Flite Sbach 342 UMX mdv Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 12, 2012 08:29 PM