HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I remember watching that one... with 3S and AS3X you should have no problem with 30mph+ winds

Wait... never mind... just noticed the caption "Sbach w/Beast 3D guts"... and I was super impressed thinking it was stock
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:35 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Just giving you hard time... still excellent flying
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Wait... you can fly this plane on 3S with the stock motor? I think I've got a 5043 prop on mine... will 3S fry the motor/ESC with that combo??
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Wait... you can fly this plane on 3S with the stock motor? I think I've got a 5043 prop on mine... will 3S fry the motor/ESC with that combo??
Where have you been?? You're usually up on all this stuff.

The motor has no trouble. The ESC has over-temp cut-off (OTC) to varying degrees, some able to fly with no mods, some needing additional airflow and some needing a heat-sink on the FET's. A few even need a heat-sink on the voltage regulator too. You can tell if it's the VR because you loose the servos in-flight too... not really a good thing...

I don't think anyone has fried anything on an AS3X equipped plane yet. The original Sbachs were a crap-shoot as to the magic smoke.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,288 Posts
Quote:
Turnerm IIRC you have a V1, on those there were more than a few that puffed when a 3S pack was plugged in. On the AS3X bricks I do believe there has been a grand total of 1 failure. In general it is considered safe by most here for the AS3X bricks. If you do try it change to the 5030, even that will be WAY more power than you'll ever need.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:50 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Ok... I'll just stick with 2S for now but it should would be helpful for this little hover contest if I could do my hovering at 1/4 stick instead of 3/4 stick!!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
That pretty cool Turbo where I live there is a very stiff easterly than blows just about every morning in the summer which I like doing the same but with other planes and I've only done the wind surfing once with the Sbach which ended with a very bent front end as I let it go over my head an lost orintation.

But I do think a wind surfing competition would be fine after the dust has settled from the hover contest and all the repair's have been done
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:52 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
But I do think a wind surfing competition would be fine after the dust has settled from the hover contest and all the repair's have been done
Wind surfing here today would be pretty impressive. I've got gusts over 50 MPH outside.
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:02 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
Wind surfing here today would be pretty impressive. I've got gusts over 50 MPH outside.
Better go for a 5S batt
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:37 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Dear Joel,

Being a fellow Minnesotan, I would like to request a video of you wind surfing your Sbach in these 30+ mph winds over your deck Actually, although the hover challenge is cool... who can wind surf their Sbach in the highest wind speed the longest sounds kind of fun too
Quote:
Aphro,

It's only a gusty 19 MPH wind, and it's at the club field - but will this do? BTW I find the Beast to be a much better wind-surfer. I have an easier time keeping it in the box in a 26 MPH wind than I do with the Sbach in a 19 MPH wind.

Turnerm,

Maybe these clips will entice you to get a new Sbach. Just a bit of tail-stiffening & she has no trouble on 3s - even @ WOT in level flight.

Wind-surfing on 3s. Flying starts @ 1:45.

WWU,

See the vertical hover @ 8:20. Of course, it pales in comparison to your awe-inspiring skills, O Master of Gravity, Ruler of Bernoulli, Defyer of Physical Laws.

• You have danger (I'm flying a 2.6-oz 2s plane with stock electronics on 3s in a 19 MPH wind over asphalt).
  • You have daring (I'm flying a 2.6-oz 2s plane with stock electronics on 3s in a 19 MPH wind at WOT over asphalt).
  • You have creativity (I threw in a bunch of other maneuvers).
  • And I was very careful to not offend the judges by attempting to upstage their superhuman hovering skills (knowing, of course, that even entertaining such a thought would be irrefutable evidence of madness).

Having fun with the UMX Sbach 3D on 3s in a 6-19 MPH wind (10 min 34 sec)

Turnerm,

Here's some high-speed testing on 3s in calmer conditions:

Eflite UMX Sbach 3D on 3s! (5 min 23 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Aphro,

It's only a gusty 19 MPH wind, and it's at the club field - but will this do? BTW I find the Beast to be a much better wind-surfer. I have an easier time keeping it in the box in a 26 MPH wind than I do with the Sbach in a 19 MPH wind.

Turnerm,

Maybe these clips will entice you to get a new Sbach. Just a bit of tail-stiffening & she has no trouble on 3s - even @ WOT in level flight.

WWU,

See the vertical hover @ 8:20. Of course, it pales in comparison to your awe-inspiring skills, O Master of Gravity, Ruler of Bernoulli, Defyer of Physical Laws.

• You have danger (I'm flying a 2.6-oz 2s plane with stock electronics on 3s in a 19 MPH wind over asphalt).
  • You have daring (I'm flying a 2.6-oz 2s plane with stock electronics on 3s in a 19 MPH wind at WOT over asphalt).
  • And I was very careful to not offend the judges by attempting to upstage their superhuman hovering skills (knowing, of course, that even entertaining such a thought would be irrefutable evidence of madness).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RqYHnYcKs0

Turnerm,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGVfLfyrf4g

Joel
Sure wish I could land like that in the wind!
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:15 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Aphro,

Turnerm,

WWU,

Turnerm,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGVfLfyrf4g

Joel
Tempting to upgrade BUT... I'm waiting to see what they continue to do with planes in the QQ Edge size range. I find that a very exciting prospect!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:30 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,905 Posts
This thread has exposed some awesome piloting skills!!!...Man, yesterday that wind was HOWLING!!!---Gusts to almost 50mph here...At first I thought about flying to attempt to hold the record for flying in the strongest wind but decided against it---I wanted my plane to be around for a while longer......

Well, both of my bitty buddies (7 & 11 year old sons) are down with the flu......You know something is wrong when they sleep for 18 hours/day instead of being their normal bouncy selves...Hopefully, they will be over this by Christmas...

While tending to the boy's needs I think that I'll take the Sbach apart and install an external ESC and step up to 3S power with a 2300kv motor...This should give me MUCH better/smoother throttle response and hopefully increase my ability to hover for longer than 1 second...Battery will be 3S 180mAh 35C NanoTechs...Although 3S they weigh the same as Hyperion 2S 240mAh 25C batts...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
THRILLS!

SPILLS!

CHILLS!

See fountains of rushing hazardous water! Ravenous killer attack birds! Heart-rending crashes! Utter Mahem and Pandemonium! Cussing! Excuse-making! Rationalizations!

Come, see the Tracknoob Production of.......

SBach in the Park: The Can't Hover for S*** Story

You'll laugh! you'll cry! You'll point your finger! You'll shout: "My little sister can fly better than that!"

At the great expense of four batteries (needing to be recharged) and one wing (okay, a drop or two of CA), the producers bring you this epic tale of love, loss, and triumph near triumph failure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWWNM...ature=youtu.be

no squirrels were harmed in the making of this film
Tracknoob - you have sold yourself short. Your flying was impressive! I was a little disappointed that you did not go for the maximum bonus points by flying under the arc of the sprinklers and then going straight into a hover in a picturesque position directly above the arc while torque rolling and keeping up with the rotating stream. I mean, come on, how could you have missed that opportunity? Where was your sense of aesthetics?

On the other hand, you have clearly shown some significant improvement. You have apparently graduated from control-line hovering to radio control attempted hovering. Given the rate of progress, by Monday, you should have some very strong material for us to review!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:00 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,633 Posts
Quote:
WWU,

Joel
Joel,

A lesser man than I would be tempted to believe that your comments were less than sincere, but I, recognizing how accurate they all are, realize that you meant them with the most genuine and heart-felt sincerity. Such thing cannot DIRECTLY influence my judging, of course, but being at least partially mortal, I have to admit that it MIGHT factor in indirectly.

Therefore, I fully encourage more of this. You know, for all of YOUR benefits.

The wind is threatening to rip the wreathes from the windows of my home right now, so if anyone else has a hover entry, it would be duly appreciated, as I am bored, have itchy thumbs, and nothing appropriate (or even inappropriate) to fly inside. I failed to purchase the MQX that I intended to yesterday because I feared divorce and I really love my wife. SHe doesn't hover around the house as elegantly as the MQX would, but the MQX is less adept at bringing me nachos and beer on days like this, so I decided to stick with the wife route a little longer. And these nachos really are good.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings