SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
.....that is your queue that you can vote......
You mean, "that is your cue that you can vote"

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
And the ones that are out there are grossly inaccurate especially in the empennage. The real XA42 (Sbach 342) has a VERY short moment in fact it is less than the main wing root chord with from the trailing edge of the wing. This makes it very responsive in pitch, probably why most of the bigger RC Sbach models have stretched it to a more normal 1.5x wing chord from trailing edge.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, hey that might even be myself, if you put a mark at the very back of the wing where it meets the fuse. Take the wing off and put it back up against the fuse with the very front of the wing touching that mark the back of the wing should be touching or just past the front of the horizontal stab to be in the correct dimensions.

-Brian
THAT IS SO TRUE. As much as I like my Dynam, it's fuse is so long and skinny it doesnt' have that beautiful look to it that the Sbach should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

queue

/kyo͞o/

Noun
A line or sequence of people or vehicles awaiting their turn to be attended to or to proceed.

Verb
Take one's place in a queue: "in the war they had queued for food"; "companies are queuing up to move to the bay".

Synonyms
noun.
line - row - file - pigtail - plait - train - rank
verb.
queue up - line up

Being as I refuse to be wrong even when I am, I was referring to your lump of coal being one in a line of lumps of coal that would serve as a cue to line up to vote. Was that not perfectly clear in my small print? Perhaps your eyes were crossed when you read it.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
3,543 Posts
That photo > 1,000 of your feckless words.

Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:29 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,421 Posts
Quote:

You win!
Pickle72 is online now Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Quote:

Am I the only one that noticed she's lined up to hit the 1 ball??? Granted most of the attention was probably elsewhere in the picture.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Am I the only one that noticed she's lined up to hit the 1 ball??? Granted most of the attention was probably elsewhere in the picture.

-Brian
What ball?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,771 Posts
Quote:
What ball?
Whew! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who didn't see the ball. For a minute there, I thought my eyesight was going!

BTW - I'll see what I can do with the 'Earth-repeller' that's sitting on the corner of the table. Hmmm.......she's rated for a 1 oz payload.....time to weigh a bare Sbach airframe.....

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
Well here it is: my not so good hover video. Don't let the grass fool you it is 36* outside.
UMX Sbach Hover Contest Entry (2 min 18 sec)

Not the best stuff, especially seeing as my wife came out to film on the last half of my battery and the baby was not happy to be in the cold. So it was a one take deal with the CG set to 36mm which is actually forward of neutral. Usually I set it to 38 for hovering and high alpha stuff. I did try the 20ft up landing but the angle was off so I had to carry a bit of forward speed to get it over the driveway to land. Don't let the nose over fool you it was the rocks not the landing that caused it.

As per contest description I'd like to admit that I have a long way to go to be close the WWU flying ability and would gladly accept advice on how to be more like him.

Do I get bonus points for the descending torque roll at 0:47?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Well here it is: my not so good hover video. Don't let the grass fool you it is 36* outside.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2RY_P8TS3E
Not the best stuff, especially seeing as my wife came out to film on the last half of my battery and the baby was not happy to be in the cold. So it was a one take deal with the CG set to 36mm which is actually forward of neutral. Usually I set it to 38 for hovering and high alpha stuff. I did try the 20ft up landing but the angle was off so I had to carry a bit of forward speed to get it over the driveway to land. Don't let the nose over fool you it was the rocks not the landing that caused it.

As per contest description I'd like to admit that I have a long way to go to be close the WWU flying ability and would gladly accept advice on how to be more like him.

Do I get bonus points for the descending torque roll at 0:47?

-Brian
Even before your ingratiating comment about my superb flying skills, you were a top contender with that video. I'll have to re-review some other ones, but that seemed like one of the longest hovers I've seen. With your ingratiating comment your performance was truly top notch.

I hear you on the one shot attempt - having a cold wife and an unhappy baby can be a bit, er, distracting for the pilot. You get bonus points for your fortitude in ignoring their pain and suffering in order to pursue a much higher cause. And yes, I saw that descending torque roll, and that would also get bonus points. There was the unmentionable issue with the landing and a further review of the runway showed no rocks whatsoever in the path of the actual wheels, so there might be some negative bonus pointage there, but I'm still conferring with the lawyers.

It would appear that the winds are calming down here a bit, and I just got a rather rude text from my flying buddy that the conditions were great for sneaking out of work to fly. Unfortunately, I'm teleconference bound and forced to pretend to be interested in things other than hovering contests. Perhaps tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:33 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:

-Brian
I'm sort of a lurker on this thread, yet, am I the only one worried about someone who noticed the ball?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Last edited by Saxguy1000; Dec 20, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:56 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,060 Posts
THRILLS!

SPILLS!

CHILLS!

See fountains of rushing hazardous water! Ravenous killer attack birds! Heart-rending crashes! Utter Mahem and Pandemonium! Cussing! Excuse-making! Rationalizations!

Come, see the Tracknoob Production of.......

SBach in the Park: The Can't Hover for S*** Story

You'll laugh! you'll cry! You'll point your finger! You'll shout: "My little sister can fly better than that!"

At the great expense of four batteries (needing to be recharged) and one wing (okay, a drop or two of CA), the producers bring you this epic tale of love, loss, and triumph near triumph failure!

sbach hover compilation park (9 min 6 sec)

no squirrels were harmed in the making of this film
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,543 Posts
Great stuff, Noob!

I like your flying space, and you are so close to nailing an Epic Hover.....

Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined Aug 2010
3,543 Posts
Quote:
.....I will make the final decision. Your votes are simply there to amuse me. If your vote agrees with my vote, I will count them twice. If they do not, I will chuckle at your feeble minded attempts to judge objectively as I do. If, however, you use logic to explain your vote AND you happen to bring up a point I had not considered (but will not admit to not having considered), I will count your vote twice since it will then agree with my vote. Which might have changed, but you will not know that.
'Sup, you've got style.

Have you considered going into international politics?

You'd fit right in as a U.N. apparatchik!

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:39 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Dear Joel,

Being a fellow Minnesotan, I would like to request a video of you wind surfing your Sbach in these 30+ mph winds over your deck Actually, although the hover challenge is cool... who can wind surf their Sbach in the highest wind speed the longest sounds kind of fun too
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,814 Posts
Here's some wind surfing video I took last month

Wind surfing my UMX Sbach. (1 min 55 sec)

I love wind surfing! 20+ mph gets real fun
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer