Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I think this was the last time I flew my Sbach. Almost a year ago!! Looking forward to seeing if I can hover it any better now.

Eflite Sbach hover, harrier, knife edge, etc (8 min 27 sec)
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:59 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hey, c'mon, now guys. The date-stamp on the mQX video clearly shows that it was shot on Feb 2nd, 2012.....Joel
Yah, like we don't all know how to turn back the date stamp.

What'd I tell you, Bro 'Sup!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:05 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
OK, choke on this hover contest entry, recorded tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT69N...ature=youtu.be

For the fine print BS, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=327
or to the Law Firm of http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=411421

All - I would STRONGLY encourage you to click on the law firm link to ensure that you are aware of any pending legal action being taken!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hey, c'mon, now guys. The date-stamp on the mQX video clearly shows that it was shot on Feb 2nd, 2012 - and last winter was one of the least snowiest winters on record. Besides - I'm sure you guys saw the clips of me flying the CC off the 1.5 feet of snow in my yard just days ago, and 1.5 feet of snow isn't gonna melt that fast around here this time of year! And we're supposed to get another foot of snow right after Christmas! The only thing I'm going to be hovering anytime soon around here is a heli. The CC just doesn't quite have enough grunt with the floats on.

Joel
LOL - just poking at you. C'mon - cowboy up! What's a little frostbite for a good cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I think this was the last time I flew my Sbach. Almost a year ago!! Looking forward to seeing if I can hover it any better now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNa6N...e_gdata_player
Turnem - WOW NICE flying. I'm very jealous of the low knife edge passes. I'm too chicken to get mine that low (though I don't use SFG's, so that's my excuse). The rolling harriers are something I have yet to get anywhere near doing, and the hovers were nice - but I want to see better. If you can do that other stuff, my expectations are VERY high.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:00 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Turnem - WOW NICE flying. I'm very jealous of the low knife edge passes. I'm too chicken to get mine that low (though I don't use SFG's, so that's my excuse). The rolling harriers are something I have yet to get anywhere near doing, and the hovers were nice - but I want to see better. If you can do that other stuff, my expectations are VERY high.
LOL!! A little pressure! I'll see what I can do. I know I can do better than that video - especially on the rollers. Hovers, I don't know. This bird is NOT easy to hover.

I'll get something on video this weekend!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:01 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
LOL!! A little pressure! I'll see what I can do. I know I can do better than that video - especially on the rollers. Hovers, I don't know. This bird is NOT easy to hover.

I'll get something on video this weekend!
I've seen enough of Turnerm's videos to know that WWU should just get his address and send the prize now! Though we have a chance as it is not an AS3X conversion so it is quite difficult to hover.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNa6N...e_gdata_player
I remember that one. A year later & it's still impressive! BTW - was that EDF as close as it looked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Yah, like we don't all know how to turn back the date stamp.

What'd I tell you, Bro 'Sup!

Hey, man - that's my story & I'm sticking to it!

BTW- where on Earth did you get that pic? Still laughing!!

Quote:
LOL - just poking at you. C'mon - cowboy up! What's a little frostbite for a good cause?
It's not the temperature - it's the snow! I'm dead in the water (snow?) unless I pull the gear & belly-land, and I'd rather not belly-land the Sbach in a foot-plus of snow.

Do you think anyone would notice if I discretely substituted my 130X & shot the video in 240i? I could cut the hovers short & make them a bit shaky so things wouldn't look too suspicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I've seen enough of Turnerm's videos to know that WWU should just get his address and send the prize now! Though we have a chance as it is not an AS3X conversion so it is quite difficult to hover.

-Brian
+1! I think he's pretty much got this one in the bag - AS3X or no AS3X.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Joel -

As you have seen from some of the recent and not-so-recent contest entries, as well as some of the judging criteria, the rules of this contest are somewhat . . . flexible. Having said that and knowing that you own a certain quad copter, one has to wonder if a quad copter is capable of lifting the stripped down frame of an Sbach. In the right camera view and with sufficient distance . . . .

I would never encourage cheating, but there are those of us (who reside in the more affluent portion of my state) who are not restricted by social norms.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:23 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Tick... tick.... tick....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3721

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Joel - yes, that EDF was very close!! Ironically, I just had a midair a month ago with that same guy. It was quite spectacular.... And my beloved 57" SC is out of commission because of it.

Thanks for the kind words on the flying. I'll try to improve on that with my next video. This has been a big year for me in terms of progression of my skills. My two year anniversary in the hobby will be on 12/27/12! It's been awesome! I'm hooked!
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
... UMX Horizon Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
872 Posts
sold my SBach 3D

Time goes by....and better plane comes...
Yes, I sold my SBach 3D, maybe 5 or 8 flights old, because I have the new E-flite Edge 540QQ. These size is perfect in my opinion, flies better than the Sbach with As3X (my opinion) and therefore I decided to get only one aerobatic middle wing plane.
Hard, especially for a UMX maniac like me but I think Horizion will release other models in this dimension- maybe a Sbach ?
-
All the best for the SBach owners here in this thread- good luck and see you !
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Haha! The contest continues!!!

Hey all - with this many entries, and in the spirit of American Democracy, I'm thinking of having you all vote for the best hovering vid winner by PM'ing me your top choice. There ARE some rules for this - strictly enforced:
1) You can't vote for yourself. If you can't harrass, cajole, or bribe other people to vote for you, maintain your pride and do not vote for yourself either. It means that your video really did suck. But we all still like you.
2) You can only vote once. I'll probably ignore your vote in the first place if I don't agree with it, so voting multiple times will just annoy me by having to ignore your vote multiple times. And that would be sad for you. Being ignored once happens to everyone periodically. Being ignored multiple times would indicate that you can't take a hint, you lack social awareness, and that you probably also have very bad judgement because you do not agree with me.
3) You can't vote for me either. I know this will be hard, but console yourself knowing that I will vote for myself. Multiple times.
4) You have to vote. It's an American tradition. Just because you live in a different country doesn't mean you are exempt. We will come and find you if you do not vote.

5) There are a few exceptions to the "You must vote" rule. if you are dead, you do not have to vote, as long as we recieve a a signed, notarized letter from you (post-mortem) indicating that you really are dead and are not just trying to avoid having to vote in this contest. My law firm will reach out to you shortly after receiving the letter to make sure you are dead using whatever means necessary.
6) Voting does not begin until after the contest is over. Voting will begin 12/26/12 and run through 12/31/12. PugSam - step away from the keyboard and attempt to curb your enthusiasm. You have to wait until after Santa leaves the lump of coal in your stocking before you can vote. When you see the lump of coal in your stocking, that is your queue that you can vote.
7) I will make the final decision. Your votes are simply there to amuse me. If your vote agrees with my vote, I will count them twice. If they do not, I will chuckle at your feeble minded attempts to judge objectively as I do. If, however, you use logic to explain your vote AND you happen to bring up a point I had not considered (but will not admit to not having considered), I will count your vote twice since it will then agree with my vote. Which might have changed, but you will not know that.
8) There will be no recounts. There will be no Florida-hanging-chads fiascos. The winner will be final and named supreme dictator of all Sbach Hovering forevermore. They will go on tour wearing a Tiara and giving speeches at RC fly ins across the country. They will wear nothing other than the tiara. Please consider this fact in your voting for all of our benefits.
9) That is all, until further notice. I may change these rules at any point now or in the future, or even in the past if I deem appropriate as I cannot and will not be held responsible for anything I've done. Having seen brief flashes of most of you in your videos, you can count on me changing the rule about wearing the tiara and nothing else. I only put that in there in the hopes that Kate Upton would decide to make an entry at the last minute.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Time goes by....and better plane comes...
Yes, I sold my SBach 3D, maybe 5 or 8 flights old, because I have the new E-flite Edge 540QQ. These size is perfect in my opinion, flies better than the Sbach with As3X (my opinion) and therefore I decided to get only one aerobatic middle wing plane.
Hard, especially for a UMX maniac like me but I think Horizion will release other models in this dimension- maybe a Sbach ?
-
All the best for the SBach owners here in this thread- good luck and see you !
An Sbach or Beast in the same size as the QQ would be pure bliss.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
An Sbach or Beast in the same size as the QQ would be pure bliss.
We really need more Sbach's. You can't find many out there and they really are good looking. I propose a letter writing campaign for bigger Sbachs!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:21 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,524 Posts
Quote:
We really need more Sbach's. You can't find many out there and they really are good looking. I propose a letter writing campaign for bigger Sbachs!!!
And the ones that are out there are grossly inaccurate especially in the empennage. The real XA42 (Sbach 342) has a VERY short moment in fact it is less than the main wing root chord with from the trailing edge of the wing. This makes it very responsive in pitch, probably why most of the bigger RC Sbach models have stretched it to a more normal 1.5x wing chord from trailing edge.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, hey that might even be myself, if you put a mark at the very back of the wing where it meets the fuse. Take the wing off and put it back up against the fuse with the very front of the wing touching that mark the back of the wing should be touching or just past the front of the horizontal stab to be in the correct dimensions.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon