HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I did get in a flight with vid but not much vertical hovering...Hard to hover in 15mph winds with gusts to 20mph!!!......Also, I can't seem to get the hatcam right to keep the airplane centered.......You can see (and hear) that the wind is really affecting the plane...

Anyway---Here's the vid but I don't expect to get any thumbs up......

Edit---Got the badly processed vid replaced with a better one...
Kevin

SUNP0002 (6 min 38 sec)
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:27 PM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
Good try Kev,that's better than nothing and at the very least I'm getting a look at the compertion and seeing what I'm up against
I had a go yesterday and the wind wasn't as bad as yours but all I have to do now is figure out how to load the vid up onto utube and I'll be in business.
with my attempt I managed a hover with a torque roll which probably lasted 1whole second then it rolled out invertedbut I recovered better than first thought,then ran out of memory card space..anyway I'll clear some space,try and up load the the vid and try again
stay tuned
Later
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:46 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I did get in a flight with vid but not much vertical hovering...Hard to hover in 15mph winds with gusts to 20mph!!!......Also, I can't seem to get the hatcam right to keep the airplane centered.......You can see (and hear) that the wind is really affecting the plane...

Anyway---Here's the vid but I don't expect to get any thumbs up......

Edit---Got the badly processed vid replaced with a better one...
Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbr0k...ature=youtu.be

Well, I saw a LOT of hovering - man, that wind was howling! Good news Kevin, you are currently in first place due to the following elements in your video:

- No string was visibile
- You had a propeller
- Your motor was running
- You actually did hover

Nice flying, by the way!

Joel, the way I see it, if Tracknoob can dangle his sbach on a string, there really aren't any rules on this - the point is to see what's possible and show off a little. Given the choice, and all hovers being equal, a current video would get the nod, but as long as it's an Eflite UMX Sbach, v1 or v2, (and has a propeller and no strings -insert small print rules here), post the video.

I wonder if enough of us PM MIke if he'll make an entry. Now THAT would be fun to compete against.

No vid for me. Wind was blowing and I flew her, but didn't think it was worth video-ing. I actually managed a brief torque roll too, but will never be able to prove it!

Keep 'em (torque) rolling boys!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:50 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,696 Posts
Good one Kevin! First on board, first to hold the lead! The bar has been set lads!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Good one Kevin! First on board, first to hold the lead! The bar has been set lads!

Marlin
You guys are FUNNY!!!...The bar has been set---Rather low at that!!!......I don't fly 3D and the 13 year old kid across the street can out-fly me when it comes to hovering...But I have flown over 250mph with turbines...Speed and precision flying is my thing---Not hovering over the runway like a heli.....But I'm open to learning new things!!!...

This weekend doesn't look too good with more thunderstorms in the forecast...Here, we have two tornado seasons---Primary and secondary---Primary is in the spring and secondary is in the fall/early winter...The winds blow out of the south with much power and the temps get up...But not good for flying......

Kevin
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,861 Posts
NO video but i hovered for a FULL 10 seconds...today........this is how i counted to 10................1...5...10......................
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
NO video but i hovered for a FULL 10 seconds...today........this is how i counted to 10................1...5...10......................
I hovered for 101 seconds.....in binary.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
In this wind I could have "hovered" and flown the Sbach backwards horizontally....It's kinda fun to do that though....But that's not the purpose of this contest....With my Beast I can hover vertically and at least do a torque roll---The Sbach is a completely different animal!!!!

Kevin
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:15 AM
Inverted tail dragger
Australia, WA, Kalamunda
Joined Jan 2008
614 Posts
My attempt Sunday arvo...

P1010446 (1 min 7 sec)
1st timer is offline Find More Posts by 1st timer
Last edited by 1st timer; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:29 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,645 Posts
That battery is as good as mine. I'll be uploading my video on Thursday as long as the video turns out. Nice long hover with torque roll back to hover then vertical climb out!!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st timer View Post
My attempt Sunday arvo...

http://youtu.be/aAGGUDH7s94

Bad new Kevin! 1st Timer just bumped you out! That was a definite hovering torque roll at :37, and one HELL of a nice recovery after it fell out. Special points for the following elements:

1) Again, no visible string, had prop, motor, and no visible contrivances (Ahem, Track Noob!)
2) Clearly visible torque roll during hover
3) Low altitude, high risk manuever with plane eating objects nearby.
4) Inverted recovery. 1st Timer didn't fall victim to the "up is down, down is expensive" under pressure. My Sbach would have ended up in a pile of foam pieces in that same situation!

Look guys, I need some videos here, the shipping to Oz is gonna break me! GET THOSE CAMS ROLLING!!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:03 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Kevin, you are currently in first place due to the following elements in your video:

- No string was visibile
- You had a propeller
- Your motor was running
- You actually did hover
Man what a gyp! I didn't know you were going to be so stringent with all these picky rules, like actually having to hover in order to win the hover contest!!!

If only I had my prop adapter and could actually put a battery in the plane, I think I would have done better....

heh heh heh
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Here's the best of my feeble attempts at hovering/torque-rolling so far. I managed to pull off a bit of a torque-rolling tailslide @ 0:30. I find the Beast 3D much easier to hover & torque-roll. Be sure to watch in 720p.

Sbach hover contest entry (0 min 37 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
--------

Joel,

First 'snow' of the year in Twin.
Had to take the quick pic before it was gne.
I've got two days off for good behavior.
I'll fly my Edge QQ for ya.

rc.....
Hey RC,

Sounds like a great time to maiden your S3D!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Here's the best of my feeble attempts at hovering/torque-rolling so far.....
Shoot, you can do better than that!

So can a bunch of those other guys.

(Also, is turnerm in on this?)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam