Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Threw the SFGs on the Sbach today for the first time, and had good fun! It slows the roll rate, aids in knife edge (of course!) and also makes it a bit easier to see at a distance. Not sure how much I'll fly with them but it was a nice change of pace. I tried both sets and decided if you are going to do it, best bet is to go all the way, so I liked the larger ones better, but can see why someone who just wants a *bit* more side force would want the smaller set.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
BTW - the Beast 3D can fly a lot slower than any other plane in its category. Remember - it is a true-scale biplane that even has scale symmetrical airfoils. As with the Sbach - one would not expect it to fly anything like a 3D flattie. They are simply different tools in the toolbox. If one wants to do aerobatics in slow-motion, one flies an F3P ship. I started watching F3P about a year ago. Absolutely amazing. There's a video of an F3P ship with AS3X on the first page of the AS3X FAQ thread. I have never seen anything so graceful & fluid. It was as if it were flying in oil.

Joel

Nice i'll have to look at that video. If you know of any FP3 plans that can be scaled down to the size of an sbach and still fly proper I'm all ears.
Var. is offline Find More Posts by Var.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjpilot View Post
So I have a pretty good dent in the leading edge of one wing on my SBach. Are you saying if I put hot water on it, it will pull the dent out? If so, how hot? Tap water hot or close to boiling?
Thanks, Travis
Travis - try hot water - not boiling, and be careful. Too hot and it will blister, not hot enough and it won't do anything. I usually bring the water to just below boiling and then watch the foam carefully, dipping and holding it under for a 30 seconds at a time and massaging the foam in between dips.

If that doesn't work, go get some DAP light weight spackling. It is great for filling in big gaps in the foam. I flew my Sbach into a tree and got some similar dents in the wing's LE, so I used the spackling on it, and smoothed it out with a light piece of cardboard folded over to match the airfoil. Once it dried, I use a black sharpie to color it - not a perfect texture/color match so I did the entre leading edge - then covered the entire leading edge with a piece of scotch tape. I think the repairs are somewhere on this thread.

Anyway - it worked great.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:56 AM
Qtown, PA
Joined Dec 2003
75 Posts
whichwaysup,
Thanks, I will give the hot water a try. I think I may end up with the spackle fix in the end though as it is a petty good dent. Tree grabbed mine as well...
Travis
erjpilot is offline Find More Posts by erjpilot
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:56 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Took the Sbach out in some high winds with huge gust component today -- wrote a quick note about it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1855
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:25 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Horrifically off topic, Tracknoob, but did I see that you ripped your LG off the HK balsa Sbach? I'm slowly wearing down my wife to allow me to get one, curious if you'd still recommend it.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:58 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Horrifically off topic, Tracknoob, but did I see that you ripped your LG off the HK balsa Sbach? I'm slowly wearing down my wife to allow me to get one, curious if you'd still recommend it.
Yup, I tore it clean off with a bad landing on rough field. I guess it's standard to replace the provided cap screws with plastic screws so that they shear off instead of breaking an internal support from a bad landing, but I got that memo too late!

I liked the way it flew except for being underpowered on the Park 450, so no regrets here: I've got some plank and also stick balsa from LHS in order to see if I can create a new landing gear mount, and I got an .10 Rimfire for it, too.

Not sure it can be repaired, or what it will look like when I'm done, but I'll give it a shot when I have the time.

EDIT TO ADD:

Okay, here she is -- full of Gorilla Glue, a new Rimfire 10, an upgraded 40 Amp ESC, and a 11x6 prop -- all full of pith and vinegar ready to hit the field tomorrow. Either those gear will hold or they wont....if not, I guess I've now got a little more experience and all the running gear to field a replacement airframe...
Last edited by tracknoob; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
288 Posts
I had my second flight yesterday. Once again it was pretty windy, especially for a second flight, but it handled fine. I tested the vertical power on this plane and I can say it's a change be from the Micro T-28. At full-power it really goes up!
I'm pretty desperate to fly this plane be when it's calm as it's hard to get an idea of the flight characteristics in wind.
Still, it's very fun and looks awesome in the air!

Tom

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my Dad and I think we might have worked the dodgy servo. At full down-elevator, the little lip from the heat-shrink tube on the pushrod was getting stuck on the servo itself. We carefully shaved and got rid of the lip on the tube. The servo works fine now, so hopefully that's fixed it as replacing the servo looks pretty hard!
Tomdomification is online now Find More Posts by Tomdomification
Last edited by Tomdomification; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,598 Posts
I'm putting in a 2300/5043 combo and I was warned that the 2300kv leads to the esc were short and needed to be lengthen with wire, but really....they are just about a quarter inch short! So close, yet so far. Fire up the soldering iron time for me.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I'm putting in a 2300/5043 combo and I was warned that the 2300kv leads to the esc were short and needed to be lengthen with wire, but really....they are just about a quarter inch short! So close, yet so far. Fire up the soldering iron time for me.
Mike
A miss is as good as a mile... as they say. We don't have leaping electrons in the 7 to 11 volt range yet.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,598 Posts
Ya..I tried stretching the wire also...that didn't work.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
i've been running the 5043 on the stock 2500 with no problems.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
i've been running the 5043 on the stock 2500 with no problems.
The only problem is you don't get the performance. If you compare what you're running to a 5030 on the 2500 or a 5043 on a 2300, you'll see why people don't generally run the 5043 on the 2500. It sags out.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
769 Posts
Haven't noticed any sag.
I tried the 5030 first however the 5043 seems better to me.
I am running 300mah 35c nanotechs so maybe my batteries are delivering the required amps.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:47 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
I like the 5030 on my 2500kv motor running 300mah nano
and 5043 on a 2300kv motor, and that combo is my favorite!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55