HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
As a kid, I took some wood from my tree in the backyard and carved wings and made a plane out of it. You could do something like that and then powered it with rubber band that was made in the US.

these days, it's pretty hard to find, especially electronics and not just our rc electronics...any electronics that is made exclusively here in the states.

I last bought some landing gear from Eflight from my LHS, and I thought for sure they were made in the US, but when I opened it up, it had a big white sticker on it that read "made in China"
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
I think the first thing you have to do is get real, because first of all balsa comes from South America, most all electronics come from anywhere but USA and hardware???????? go to a hardware store and see if you can find anything made in the USA. What is this a joke >

Thanks for your keen insight and perspective. Do me a favor and go back and read post # 4. I addressed the balsa issue. We've moved on, come along and read, or just go away. Is that real enough for you?

You can roll your eyes and ask, but this ain't no joke.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
This would make a good LTUP thread.It's all Chinese.
Stuart
Then go ahead over there and start a thread. Although your comments are not completely clear, it's not clear what "it's all chinese" means. But the comments in the thread already prove that theory incorrect.

We'll keep moving forward.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Jan 2009
24 Posts
if i recall correctly, balsa is not grown in the U.S.A. it is harvested mostly from Brazil, but, is found in other countries. again, if i recall, mostly south of the equator. the tree grows at a very rapid rate, witch is where the lightness of the wood comes from. balsa is actually classified as a hard wood because of the shape of the leaves.

oops! missed quote #4.
cmirick is offline Find More Posts by cmirick
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
yup

yip
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:20 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Thanks for your keen insight and perspective. Do me a favor and go back and read post # 4. I addressed the balsa issue. We've moved on, come along and read, or just go away. Is that real enough for you?

You can roll your eyes and ask, but this ain't no joke.
After more than1,600 posts I was sure you was just pulling a leg here, after all, you said most everything is made in China in other posts. Anyway you have fun with this subject and remember you usually get what you ask for on RCU.

It can be very entertaining at times when your bored, don't you think ?
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
reading, effective communication, and comprehension are in short order sometimes. No child left behind will haunt us for generations.

I appreciate folks keeping a tally of my post count, it warms the cockles I tell ya. Not sure where I said everything is made in China, but it is true that many/much of the products do come from there. Anyway, feel free to check back, but make sure you do so on RCG (that's RC Groups),not RCU, which as you might know is RC Universe.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
683 Posts
Quote:
reading, effective communication, and comprehension are in short order sometimes. No child left behind will haunt us for generations.

I appreciate folks keeping a tally of my post count, it warms the cockles I tell ya. Not sure where I said everything is made in China, but it is true that many/much of the products do come from there. Anyway, feel free to check back, but make sure you do so on RCG (that's RC Groups),not RCU, which as you might know is RC Universe.
Thank you, I stand corrected but it was a honest mistake. In case you did'nt know RCU is infected and spreading. If you have AVG and go there it's going to warn you at some point
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:17 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,740 Posts
If you browse the scratchbuilt foamies forum, you will find that all the foams we use are made in US except Depron. Dollar store foam board, Dow and OwensCorning Fanfold and Model Plane Foam (the best but I'm not predjudiced...) are all made in Michigan. Gorilla glue is all US produced as far as I know. The packing tape for hinges and skins can be US sourced, credit cards for control horns are probably US sourced.

Electronics, now that's another story.....IF you want to make your own brushless motor, you can get the components from StrongRCmotors.com. I think Don gets all his pieces from US suppliers (although the built up motors he sells are from China)
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Here is a thread I just saw pop up the other day, a ton of useful information I think. I'll have to go through there and see what I can get from that. That must have taken some time to put together, thanks to Murocflyer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976993
Last edited by porcia83; Nov 18, 2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: updated link
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, MI, Marquette
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
I think this is a cool idea, of course quite a few challenges in sourcing parts. But it looks like you could build a good portion of the plane with American made parts.

That link to the Made in the USA companies is great. couple of kit manufacturers that i have never heard of with some very cool models.
Taget is offline Find More Posts by Taget
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I think I've found the plane, I believe all the parts are US sourced, getting final details on that shortly. ESC will be CC. Motor and servos will be the sticky wicket I think. We'll see.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,796 Posts
I hate when people can't understand what they read...I don't remember you stating 'can a BALSA model be built with US materials?'

I'm on board-this will be a CHALLENGE!
Titebond,Elmer's And the 3 C/A's I have all say 'assembled in the USA' what does that MEAN?
Can I grind off CHINA,ITALY,JAPAN,and GERMANY,from my engines,or are you a stickler ?
Mr. Fox can do the engine,you can use sliced spruce for frame work and ribs,wooden wheels can be utilized...Dowels and bent wire for pushrods and some hardware.
Maybe.........
Your question is too broad.Pick a size-I think 1/4 scale would carry any weight penalty well enough.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I did mention balsa in my first post but didn't say the plane to be exclusively that. i purposely left the question/concept/premise broad as I didn't want to exclude any possible type of plane/aircraft.

At this point i'm trying to make this as US sourced product as possible. Put down the dremel Earl, and step away from that engine!

I think I have most of the items (even the glue) down pat. There will be some
wood involved in this build, but it will be minimal.

Servos and motor seem to be a possibe issue. I'd prefer to stick with electric . Got any ideas if that can work?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:31 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,010 Posts
Quote:
I think I've found the plane, I believe all the parts are US sourced, getting final details on that shortly. ESC will be CC. Motor and servos will be the sticky wicket I think. We'll see.
Don't look inside your ESC. It's components are made all around the world. You'll be lucky to find any US parts in it outside of code.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor